*** Official US Open of Surfing 2022 Thread***

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Pulling for Eithan Osbourne now. :jamon:

Kanoa, please take note, this ^^^ is how you don't claim, yet claim all the same... just stand there bro... if you deserve it, you will get the score.

Comparatively...

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
That current down towards the Pier looked crazy... several guys actually paddle through the pier and up the north side..??..

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Agreed, it's pretty boring and probably doesn't warrant a broadcast, but unless you are adept at riding a traditional, single fin log, you most likely can't appreciate the small movements and footwork involved in those conditions....

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Agreed, it's pretty boring and probably doesn't warrant a broadcast, but unless you are adept at riding a traditional, single fin log, you most likely can't appreciate the small movements and footwork involved in those conditions....
mate I live near Byron Bay, I've seen more top-level hipster logging than you've had hot dinners.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Better lenses. It's all about the glass you shoot with.
Here is a fairly accurat example of the trash these people would make. This is not me surfing, although I am a connoisseur of wild arms and heinous form. My complaint is mostly the lack of zoom and the water does not seem lively like in surf-shots photos. The amount of sh!t they are able to churn out is disturbing. Been going on for years with no improvement :/

1659800655022.png

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Here is a fairly accurat example of the trash these people would make. This is not me surfing, although I am a connoisseur of wild arms and heinous form. My complaint is mostly the lack of zoom and the water does not seem lively like in surf-shots photos. The amount of sh!t they are able to churn out is disturbing. Been going on for years with no improvement :/

View attachment 135365
Most guys can't afford big lenses, so they are stuck with cheap zoom lenses. Zoom lenses are typically not as sharp as a fixed focal length lenses. Also, zoom lenses usually have a sharp and less-than-sharp zones. Usually the worst sharpness zone for a zoom lies at full extension. And in surfing, you almost always need as much zoom as you can get.

So we have three factors here contributing to bad quality shot.

Cheap glass
Zoom lens
Zoom lens fully extended

Add to this, the shot you're seeing above is likely a crop, to make the surfer look bigger in the image. If they cropped the shot, then enlarged the remaining portion, this also brings down the quality. In this case, a higher mp camera can offer more pixels to work with, although higher mp doesn't mean better shot.

Also, the lighting is horrible in that shot. No sun means no shadows which means no depth.

1659803092122.png

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Most guys can't afford big lenses, so they are stuck with cheap zoom lenses. Zoom lenses are typically not as sharp as a fixed focal length lenses. Also, zoom lenses usually have a sharp and less-than-sharp zones. Usually the worst sharpness zone for a zoom lies at full extension. And in surfing, you almost always need as much zoom as you can get.

So we have three factors here contributing to bad quality shot.

Cheap glass
Zoom lens
Zoom lens fully extended

Add to this, the shot you're seeing above is likely a crop, to make the surfer look bigger in the image. If they cropped the shot, then enlarged the remaining portion, this also brings down the quality. In this case, a higher mp camera can offer more pixels to work with, although higher mp doesn't mean better shot.

Also, the lighting is horrible in that shot. No sun means no shadows which means no depth.

View attachment 135368
Thanks man!

They are shooting in horrible conditions, as surf season doesn't really have any light. Also, It is usually quite far out to the surfers, so they zoom through 100m of misty sea air into the grey abyss. Apparently without having a firm grasp on the craft side of photography. When you add the lack of athleticism it's a recipe for bad results.

I just think those like-hungry Insta wankers should step up their game. When they spend time on something, then at least make an effort to improve :/

Reactions: surf-shot.com

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
. . . pics look like grey soup . . .
What r32 said plus HB has south wind, humidity, overcast and fog especially in the summer that is the death of sharpness. Add to that fine sand that makes the water opaque any time the waves are bigger than waist high. Just a half hour north and south in Laguna and PV there's gin clear water that's luminous and colorful compared to HB. Thank you for your kind words. To be fair, I've made millions of fugly grey soup photos but try to improve.

“death of sharpness” is the name of my dinosaur metal band

surf-shot-Caroline-Marks-6-August-2022-_W0A0094-B.jpg

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The Knost is in the booth with Kaipo :love: :love: :love:

1659818395026.png

They had him lay off the Oxy for the day, but those glasses are staying on!

Last edited: