Bugmen will eat bugs

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Just a simple question as none of these people are even remotely close to my periphery:

Is there any difference between caring what Joe Rogan and Mike Rowe say vs. what Demi Lovato and Scott Baio say? Since when do we really give a fuck what any of these people say?

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
There’s nothing that the Left hates more than someone who uses their own sweat equity to improve their lot in life without government assistance. Even worse, they leverage free market dynamics and turn that hard work into a successful business. They especially hate when that person is a minority because it proves that all of their narratives about the evil white man keeping them down to be compete BS.

Only the government is allowed to create equality (or is it equity now?), and only they get to decide where the ceiling is.
I don't speak for anyone but myself but I feel fairly comfortable on pushing back against this weird narrative strawman you are presenting here about "the Left".

Probably because at the end of the day, in spite of the regulation they still have a better chance of building a better life here than where the came from. Which is why Asians (and other minorities, maybe to a lesser extent) tend to start dry cleaners, donut shops, laundromats etc because those are stable businesses with steady cash flow where being the owner operator/manager is full time+ job and a tough one at that.

They do so in hopes of building a better life for their kids, which they often do, which proves that the American Dream is still alive and works for those willing to make the sacrifices and put the work on. Hence the hostility towards Asians from the regressive left.
What'd George Carlin say, "they call it the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it"?

By nearly every metric that dream has steadily become harder to achieve over the past 40 years. For every rags to riches story, there are far more stories of people stuck in poverty and/or sliding backwards down the economic ladder.

The neoliberal turn which began under Carter and accelerated under Reagan included massive tax cuts for the rich, the crushing of trade unions, deregulation, privatization, outsourcing and competition in public services. Needless to say none of these things are helpful to the working class and the "American Dream" as all of the economic gains are captured by the wealthiest Americans.

Even the bugman narrative, as convoluted as I find it, seems to reflect the real economic anxiety felt by the majority of Americans. Bill Gates owning so much farmland is a problem. I agree. Any single person or corporation owning that much farmland is a problem for so many obvious reasons.

Tax cuts and deregulation creates billionaires, not better futures for working class people.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Where exactly did I say "Working Class"? You even admitted that PRCD was the one who said that, not me. I never changed anything. I'll ask again- why are you such a pathological liar? :unsure: #fecallies

I would call being raised by public school teachers to be on the humble side- if you want to disagree with that, fine. You are probably paying your own way through school if your parents are teachers. Rogan came from a lower income upbringing than that.

The broader take home point is that neither of them had their riches handed them, they both had to grind for it on some level.
And around in circles we go. :roflmao:

1659666350909.gif

Why comment on it at all if you are not talking about working class?
You saw who I was replying to what I was replying to.

Fucking hell. You're unbearable.

The point is that they are both millionaires but pretend that they're working class and everyman's friend.

Laptop class. looooool

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Great derail. I said, "Both guys represent the working and middle classes. Laptop class bugmen don't want them represented."

"Represent" - get it? As in, "Working and middle class guys think that Rogan speaks to issues they care about and publicizes them."

You've gone on for pages with people who can't read. What do you get out of this?
Okay that's much better, now that you cleared that up.

A guy that makes $4 million a month "REPRESENTS" working class.

Good God.

What you are both really saying, is that Rogan and Rowe represent intellectual mediocrity. Which makes dumb people feel all warm and fuzzy.

They find comfort in knowing that there's somebody as dumb as them who made it in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: sussle

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Okay that's much better, now that you cleared that up.

A guy that makes $4 million a month "REPRESENTS" working class.

Good God.

What you are both really saying, is that Rogan and Rowe represent intellectual mediocrity. Which make dumb people feel all warm and fuzzy.

They find comfort in knowing that there's somebody as dumb as them who made it in the world.
Are you this vile in person?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Why comment on it at all if you are not talking about working class?
So now we have established that I'm not the one who made the "working class" comment, so there was no changing from that to "humble" on my part. Glad we have put that to bed and proven that you are a liar who attributes the posts of one person to another to formulate your dogshit dishonest replies, as always.

You saw who I was replying to what I was replying to
I was replying to your post, not the train of posts and posters that led up to it. Your point was ultimately irrelevant because their current wealth changes nothing about their upbringing and how they got to where they are today. If someone comes from relatively nothing and reaches that level of wealth, they can absolutely empathize with what it's like to come from less .

The point is that they are both millionaires but pretend that they're working class and everyman's friend.
If that's how you came up and you don't walk around with your nose turned up to those with less then you I see no problem with it. Not sure about Rowe, however Rogan certainly has a wide variety of characters on his show and he interacts with them on their level.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't speak for anyone but myself but I feel fairly comfortable on pushing back against this weird narrative strawman you are presenting here about "the Left".
While I agree that those views don't represent everyone to the left of Hillary Clinton, given the amount of apologism and silence we've seen in the wake of all of the woke insanity I have no problem throwing all of them under the bus. In a matter of years it's gone from "only on reddit" to ideas that even the POTUS pushes, some of which are so absurd that they shouldn't even make it that high in the first place.

Most people on the Left know that the current narratives are nuts, but they are afraid to say anything and in return, the extremes keep pushing further. The Right has done this for decades, but at least the Left used to be better. Look at how much vitriol was directed at anyone who levied an ounce of criticism towards the "defund the police" narrative or the mostly peaceful protests in 2020 that disproportionately affected the lower classes and minorities. Or at anyone who even dares to point out that there are biological differences between genders. Meanwhile, how much sympathy was there for all of the independent businesses that got destroyed in numerous cities, many of which were minority owned? Virtually zero. They had insurance! It's gotten this bad because the Left as a whole has allowed it to get this bad, so it's time for them to own all of it. Just like we expect from the Right.

What'd George Carlin say, "they call it the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it"?

By nearly every metric that dream has steadily become harder to achieve over the past 40 years. For every rags to riches story, there are far more stories of people stuck in poverty and/or sliding backwards down the economic ladder.
I don't disagree from a traditional sense. However you don't get there by savings nickels working at McDonalds anymore. With new tech and gig work there are infinitely more hustles and ways to invest now than there were even 5-10 years ago. Save some scratch and roll it into a condo or independent business and build it up from there. It's been done, and it's still being done. The best way to fight the man is to play his game and keep your piece on the board. If you resign to never playing, you've already lost.

Tax cuts and deregulation creates billionaires, not better futures for working class people.
It's the stacking of the regulatory deck by congress and government in favor of the billionaires that should concern all of us.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Look at how much vitriol was directed at anyone who levied an ounce of criticism towards the "defund the police" narrative
Yes. So much so that making it the centerpiece of your campaign based on your years as a police officer make you the Democratic nominee for the largest swing state's senate seat.

That HHS tranny and the DoE tranny are only on reddit. We have shitloads of people being sworn in on hundreds of pages of straight up retardation like the Bible and the Koran and you're worried about mental illness re:gender identity.

Get a grip.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

The neoliberal turn which began under Carter and accelerated under Reagan included massive tax cuts for the rich, the crushing of trade unions, deregulation, privatization, outsourcing and competition in public services. Needless to say none of these things are helpful to the working class and the "American Dream" as all of the economic gains are captured by the wealthiest Americans.
Maybe this is part of the issue, too. IIRC, I recall the "American Dream" being a job, spouse, 2.3 kids, nice house in suburbia, a Golden Retreiver named Bella. Seems like now it's to be a millionaire.

Reactions: Aruka

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Maybe this is part of the issue, too. IIRC, I recall the "American Dream" being a job, spouse, 2.3 kids, nice house in suburbia, a Golden Retreiver named Bella. Seems like now it's to be a millionaire.
Used to be, if you worked hard, you could improve your economic lot in life and that dream was at least a believable goal. Now, you need a good education, work hard, and have a fair bit of luck to have it be a believable goal.

When I worked with Hispanic high schoolers I found that the American Dream was alive and well. Most of the ones I worked with were the children of poor immigrants, most of them went to college and moved several notches up the socioeconomic ladder.

Reactions: enframed

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Even the bugman narrative, as convoluted as I find it, seems to reflect the real economic anxiety felt by the majority of Americans. Bill Gates owning so much farmland is a problem. I agree. Any single person or corporation owning that much farmland is a problem for so many obvious reasons.

Resources will naturally accumulate in one place if left to their own devices.

The role of society is to figure how to manage this because this inequality always leads to social unrest.

Something happens when a windfall occurs. The person thinks they are special.

But multiple variables were in play.

Reactions: Aruka

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yes. So much so that making it the centerpiece of your campaign based on your years as a police officer make you the Democratic nominee for the largest swing state's senate seat.

That HHS tranny and the DoE tranny are only on reddit. We have shitloads of people being sworn in on hundreds of pages of straight up retardation like the Bible and the Koran and you're worried about mental illness re:gender identity.

Get a grip.
Punch down, kiss up the Conservative way.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Get a grip.
You live in an absolute fantasy world

Talk about a double dose of copium