Bugmen will eat bugs

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think Jordan Petersen was up front about his mental illness long ago.

He's not the first person to be prescribed clonazepam and become dependent.

I'm not sure how the fact he's long been mentally ill somehow invalidates him.

Reactions: grapedrink

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I never thought Rowe was mocking anyone, and agree with grapedrink's assessment of the show as I remember it. All documentaries by nature somewhat exploitative, but I never though his was done in bad taste. That said, I haven't seen it in over a decade probably. I also don't follow Fox except what is posted in erBB threads, so I had no idea he was so beloved by Fox viewers or was a talking head on the network. That he's become such a visible spokesman for the right is pretty ridiculous, but not surprising. When I used to watch the show, which was when my son was very young and because he liked it, the only thing I recall being said about Rowe "around the water cooler" was women talking about how hot he was. That dude could wet suburban pussy for sure.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
yes, he's he's that carefully cultivated every man in his jeans and boots who spends his day filming blue collar workers and his nights on fox news telling us why raising the minimum wage for blue collar workers is a bad idea. he's a multi millionaire who's show is funded by the largest oil and gas trade group in the world. but don't worry, they don't tell him what to say or have any influence over his messaging. he just happens to love oil and gas so much that he feels the need to talk about it in every episode. oil and gas is an essential part of a complete breakfast.

it's hard to hate the guy though. he's so charming with his deep voice and his composed demeanor. the reptilian eyed fox news host will go on an anti woke leftist rand but he would sooner dive head first into a septic tank before he would take the bait and respond with more than a wry smile. he didn't get this far by alienating his centrist viewers.

he's somewhat reaganesque in his style but probably even more skilled in his delivery than the fabled lightbulb salesman turned president. it's all, "golly, politics sure is complicated" "politics, what a concept!" followed by super basic bitch republican talking point. like, gee, i dunno, what if we cut taxes for the top 1%, maybe that would help the working class?

mike rowe is basically mitt romney wrapped in denim.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Does it? Sounds like you are injecting your own biases into this one. I always thought that it was meant to get people to appreciate the dirty work that has to be done for a functioning society (such as cleaning and pumping septic tanks) and give blue collar work more visibility. The “making fun” is making light of gross situations to make the show more fun and watchable, and the workers seemed to enjoy putting him through it.

Beyond that, those jobs typically pay more than crappy service/retail jobs. There is also a clear path for those who do that work to become independent owners because they are largely sweat equity based businesses that do work nobody wants to do, who often go on to be millionaire owner operators.
Rogan-Rowe groupies are out in full force. :roflmao:

Uh huh, Rowe meant to "make people appreciate the dirty work" by making millions from pretending to actually work, while actively working against those people behind the scenes, as Aruka mentioned.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I never thought Rowe was mocking anyone, and agree with grapedrink's assessment of the show as I remember it. All documentaries by nature somewhat exploitative, but I never though his was done in bad taste. That said, I haven't seen it in over a decade probably. I also don't follow Fox except what is posted in erBB threads, so I had no idea he was so beloved by Fox viewers or was a talking head on the network. That he's become such a visible spokesman for the right is pretty ridiculous, but not surprising. When I used to watch the show, which was when my son was very young and because he liked it, the only thing I recall being said about Rowe "around the water cooler" was women talking about how hot he was. That dude could wet suburban pussy for sure.
It’s ridiculous that “manual labor jobs are good” and “you don’t need college” and “work for yourself and don’t be dependent on others” are somehow controversial “right wing” positions

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Rogan-Rowe groupies are out in full force. :roflmao:

Uh huh, Rowe meant to "make people appreciate the dirty work" by making millions from pretending to actually work, while actively working against those people behind the scenes, as Aruka mentioned.
So arguing in public on Fox News against a minimum wage is “working behind the scenes” to undermine blue color workers :unsure: :roflmao: Do you even know what “behind the scenes” means :roflmao:
In all the jobs he did, those people are paid well over minimum wage and some are owners who make what surgeons make. Very few people make minimum wage in general.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It’s ridiculous that “manual labor jobs are good” and “you don’t need college” and “work for yourself and don’t be dependent on others” are somehow controversial “right wing” positions
There’s nothing that the Left hates more than someone who uses their own sweat equity to improve their lot in life without government assistance. Even worse, they leverage free market dynamics and turn that hard work into a successful business. They especially hate when that person is a minority because it proves that all of their narratives about the evil white man keeping them down to be compete BS.

Only the government is allowed to create equality (or is it equity now?), and only they get to decide where the ceiling is.

• Love

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Seems like on Twitter maybe they are right wing positions. In my world no one I know thinks those things.

Reactions: Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So arguing in public on Fox News against a minimum wage is “working behind the scenes” to undermine blue color workers :unsure: :roflmao: Do you even know what “behind the scenes” means :roflmao:
In all the jobs he did, those people are paid well over minimum wage and some are owners who make what surgeons make. Very few people make minimum wage in general.
"Minimum wage" is a distractor from the fact that we've sent all middle class mfg jobs overseas. It's another "let them eat bugs."

Mike Rowe's take on "minimum wage" is that it makes kids (teenagers, college movers/roofers) with no skills unhirable for "rung jobs". Apprentice tradesman start off much higher than minimum wage anyway.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There’s nothing that the Left hates more than someone who uses their own sweat equity to improve their lot in life without government assistance. Even worse, they leverage free market dynamics and turn that hard work into a successful business. They especially hate when that person is a minority because it proves that all of their narratives about the evil white man keeping them down to be compete BS.

Only the government is allowed to create equality (or is it equity now?), and only they get to decide where the ceiling is.
The Left hates those people so much they're building a Wall upside Mexico to keep 'em out!

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
we've sent all middle class mfg jobs overseas.
I know some American owned manufacturing jobs have been sent overseas. I have to then wonder why foreign companies set up factories in the US.

Why would the Koreans and Chinese and whomever set up shop here if taxes and regulations are driving American manufacturing overseas? Why are they willing to put up with it and American owned companies aren't?

This is not intended as a gotcha. This happens and I wonder why.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Well he didn't do it on the show.
He didn't say it to the people whose jobs he was pretending to be doing, that they should get paid less.

Semantic moron.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think Jordan Petersen was up front about his mental illness long ago.

He's not the first person to be prescribed clonazepam and become dependent.

I'm not sure how the fact he's long been mentally ill somehow invalidates him.
He looked terrible in that picture. It's like he's a tweaker who shaves.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Well he didn't do it on the show.
Backpedaling. He still did in public and on national TV, which by definition is not behind the scenes.

He didn't say it to the people whose jobs he was pretending to be doing, that they should get paid less.
Nowhere did he say that they should be paid less, because those jobs tend be paid more to begin with. The owners have to pay more than the minimum wage because they have to incentivize people to not do the safe, relatively stress free retail jobs where you don't have to get your hands dirty. Oftentimes those guys were the owners. That was one of the main take home messages on the show, and is another perfect example of the free market doing exactly what it should.

Semantic moron.
Backpedaling! :roflmao:

Also, great to see you back here, I thought you were done with me in this thread . . . . To get back on topic, care to comment on the 6 links I posted, which ranged from university to industry sources including one from a high end grass fed beef producer, that proved I was right and that you were wrong about how beef cows spend the first 2/3s of their life :unsure: :poke: :roflmao: :trout:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Why would the Koreans and Chinese and whomever set up shop here if taxes and regulations are driving American manufacturing overseas? Why are they willing to put up with it and American owned companies aren't?
Probably because at the end of the day, in spite of the regulation they still have a better chance of building a better life here than where the came from. Which is why Asians (and other minorities, maybe to a lesser extent) tend to start dry cleaners, donut shops, laundromats etc because those are stable businesses with steady cash flow where being the owner operator/manager is full time+ job and a tough one at that.

They do so in hopes of building a better life for their kids, which they often do, which proves that the American Dream is still alive and works for those willing to make the sacrifices and put the work on. Hence the hostility towards Asians from the regressive left.