May 18, 2004
Innzid
You tell us :)

And careful not to leave the board on the other side of that fence, hehe

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You never know. It could be the magic setup. Ive had some pretty strange combos work better than expected. Generally a medium or larger center fin with twin sides has always felt like too much fin for me though.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I think it will .

I just want to push the envelope as far as total fin area is concerned to have as a dependent variable when I put a more orthodox fin combo in there.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I even think I understand what I was looking at, in terms of where there seemed to be a little extra volume or depth osomething that made it seem just that TOUCH more user friendly… but the rails, the rocker, all looked super responsive and aggressive even.

it also had that intangible under the arm feel that is probably entirely mental, but, also part of the fun of getting a new board, especially one with such universal acclaim

don’t get me wrong, I’m sure I’ll order customs again too, but it’s nice to be not a chubster anymore so I can actually buy high performance boards off the rack, instead of needing them to be custom made so my fatty self could still ride a short board :roflmao::foreheadslap:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
most love it. curious to hear your review
You and me both lol. Like, a not so small part of me is whispering “dude everyone feels like a shredder on solid but easy Southern Mexican Points, you were riding a respected but certainly an “enabler” type shape with the hypto, so now you ran out and bought a gorgeous and no doubt magical shape from a modern master, and you’re back home in New York. Good luck with your 43 year old self on a board you’re no longer qualified to ride”

but another voice seems pretty confident I’m surfing better than I ever have right now, in some respects

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Chest to HH Point surf.

It was far from offensive, in fact there was quite a lot to like.

Steering was stiffened up, but smooth as hell. Felt great on an extended roundhouse to rebound.

Counter-intuitively though, with all the fin area and crazy amounts of drive, I thought it might make a great grovel set-up.

Driving off the fin cluster in weak wind swells.

I had a really fun surf.

Next.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
They work well in almost all SoCal conditions waist high to DOH with the larger sets of NVS C-Drive fins. In Hawaii the C-Drives were a bit too loose - I felt the fin actually disengage, slide, and then re-catch during a well overhead Rocky Point bottom turn - but the AM quad set filled in perfectly.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
They work well in almost all SoCal conditions waist high to DOH with the larger sets of NVS C-Drive fins. In Hawaii the C-Drives were a bit too loose - I felt the fin actually disengage, slide, and then re-catch during a well overhead Rocky Point bottom turn - but the AM quad set filled in perfectly.
That’s the same sensation I had with the krypt hatchets in anything steeper than mushy surf.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
There used to be a Futures thruster set that had rear hatchet fin instead of a traditional rear fin.

I remember a number of people swearing by it.

Might have been this one:

View attachment 134806
Yep that was one, I still have a set but haven’t run them in ages.

the solus set also used to come with a hatchet but was eventually swapped with an F4 template center fin.

Reactions: jkb

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
You and me both lol. Like, a not so small part of me is whispering “dude everyone feels like a shredder on solid but easy Southern Mexican Points, you were riding a respected but certainly an “enabler” type shape with the hypto, so now you ran out and bought a gorgeous and no doubt magical shape from a modern master, and you’re back home in New York. Good luck with your 43 year old self on a board you’re no longer qualified to ride”

but another voice seems pretty confident I’m surfing better than I ever have right now, in some respects
I'm 45 surf mainly horrible wind swell, weigh too much for the stock 6'1 Ghost, surf at best 1 week but more like every 2 weeks. But when its chest high or bigger with some push, the Ghost is uniquely good. It will afford you some front foot lazy drive but get your back foot back and the looseness is surprising.