Mental Health thread

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Had a minor mental breakdown last week.

took a huge unexpected financial hit
dealing with long covid (brain fog, confusion, headaches and fatigue )
GF has covid and she is at risk (blood disorder )
my company is having huge re org and my boss is checked out (never a good sign)
my dad is in the hospital
GGs passing

if you are young and healthy enjoy it, no one is getting out of this sh!t alive.
really miss my carefree days

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Hang in there brother. This actually is a good place to vent. For all the bickering and trolling, we do all mostly “get one another” despite any number of differences, and you never know when a random nugget from an ErBBer will flip a switch for ya through hard times

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

GGs passing

if you are young and healthy enjoy it, no one is getting out of this sh!t alive.
keep breatheing and hang in there, man
I’m certain you’ll pass through this and have some more carefree days in the future

and even if you’re no longer young, but still healthy, enjoy it

i sometimes remind myself that every day, there’s so many people suffering a profound loss,
and that any day I am not one of those experiencing a profound loss is a day to celebrate

hang in there

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It really is. I mean, think of how crazy it is, that a substance that is so fun and so therapeutic and has such an important role in nearly every culture that ever crushed a grape or fermented a grain…a literal elixir of joy, comfort, and well being, can simultaneously be a force of destruction in a scale more vast than any war, genocide, or natural disaster, could ever be.

If you run some big raw numbers over the centuries, I would bet real money that booze has caused more devastation and death and shortened/worsened life spans, year in and year out, than any other source. World war 2 and the various holocausts and purges in that same decade- sure, those few years were far more deadly than booze. But booze is doing it’s damage every, single,day, and has been for thousands of years without pause

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That truly sucks.

My mom apparently is struggling a bit more now than she was in her first week of Covid (spoke to her last week and she sounded as chipper and as caffeinated as always, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree)

I think shes in week 3 now, and my new “step father” was texting with my wife this morning and said my mom had gotten noticeably worse in the last couple days… Need to call her

her vast and varied allergies prevented her from being able to vax or even take PaxLovid, she’s had Lyme disease for 44 years (she believes her chronic Lyme is responsible for her severe adult onset allergies, and it’s not an uncommon theory among what few Lyme experts there really are) and she’s 77. She’s tough as nails and nothing but positive, which I think does wonders for aging well, but still, she has plenty of Achilles heels that can’t be be discounted altogether

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

GGs passing

Sorry to hear this man. Hopefully the long COVID symptoms abate quickly and all else falls back into place.

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Sorry about your mom subway, wishing her a full recovery.

My pops is home now, guess he improved fast enough they let him head home!! Either that or they were sick of him asking why they didn’t have sky sports so he could watch F1 :roflmao:

going to try and paddle around this week. Need to get back in the water.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Hang in there Santa Cruz! Things are already looking up! You're dad's home, your long covid will eventually be relegated to the dustbin of bad memories, wifey's covid will go away, you'll have a good session where you get lots of good waves all to yourself, it always gets better.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Hang in there man...headed to nica for a week on Weds to chill the fck out. Swell is supposed to be fun too - need some real waves, decent fishing and just some space.

Just had the longest year of my life, and yes that includes major alcohol and benzo abuse after my father, grandfather and uncle died (within 3 months of each other). The chemicals themselves almost got me and didn't care.

Going on 5 months sober now and I can say life is good, like almost in easy mode atm. BUT I know sh!t will pop up. Hoping this trip will allow me some space from everyone (Family is allll in my business, but I deserve it).

Keep on keepin on guys

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
for better or for worse (mostly better) there are a bunch of non drinkers here, and more every day. Sorry about those losses, I can't imagine. I lost all of those too, some pretty young (my uncle drank himself to death at 43), but at least they were spread out by years and decades. 3 months? nope nope nope. sorry brother but congratulations- getting (and staying) clean is the best and hardest thing you can do. Keep it up. pays major dividends

Reactions: wedge2

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks all.
taking it day by day and trying to be grateful for all the good things.

stopped drinking again as well. Don’t think I need any booze in the mix right now.
I drank bc I didn't like the way I felt. But we're wired for feeling, so not feeling made the feelings even more unbearable, so I drank. Repeat. Repeat. I think Freud said buried feelings never die, they just come back in some altered state. Like zombies.

I find like five things to be grateful for before my feet hit the floor in the morning (ceiling fan, roof over my head, coffee, etc). Sometimes it helps.