5 shark attacks in 2 weeks on Long Island

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
Look- A shark sighting in the ocean is probably where you are 99.99% likely to SEE a shark. Now- if you see one on line at the Starbucks or delivering Candygrams, then it MIGHT be time to panic.
Many years ago, I was in the lineup with a few buds at a NSSS in the NYC area. (Just before the Blue Crush crush). We were just chatting around one of the take off spots, when a 5--6 ft fella kind of came up in the middle of our little group and rolled over on its back while feeding. Then another a few seconds later. One or two of us were like: WOW! that was AWESOME!. Then I looked across to one guy, and his eyes were as big as Saucers and had the same look as Sean Brody as Bruce was heading for him in the Pond. Fear had taken over. We calmed him down and told him to go in and do NOT say anything to anybody. Waves were really good for summer and it wasn't really THAT crowded. Having him go in and report a "sighting" meant beaches would be closed to everyone for several hours, at least, while the helicopters were called out to look at natural behavior.

And even Saturday AM, Helicopters cruising the beach and at least two Lifeguards doing beach walks at each field as spotters.
Best part? Nobody out.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
We probably aren't far from that. Seeing seals in these parts is much more common and shark numbers are climbing. Only a matter of time. Could we see a repeat of the NJ shark attacks of 1916? Its quite possible.
If you ever want a good read check out "12 Days Of Terror" which is the story of that string of shark attacks that were the basis for the movie Jaws.

Don't they theorize now that those 1916 attacks were probably bull sharks?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Some do, but a small great white was caught with human remains inside. I do a bit of distance of swimming and with the resurgence of the seal population around starting to get a bit of worry. Have to stay close to beach I guess, so hopefully I can get out water before bleeding too much.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Look- A shark sighting in the ocean is probably where you are 99.99% likely to SEE a shark. Now- if you see one on line at the Starbucks or delivering Candygrams, then it MIGHT be time to panic.
Many years ago, I was in the lineup with a few buds at a NSSS in the NYC area. (Just before the Blue Crush crush). We were just chatting around one of the take off spots, when a 5--6 ft fella kind of came up in the middle of our little group and rolled over on its back while feeding. Then another a few seconds later. One or two of us were like: WOW! that was AWESOME!. Then I looked across to one guy, and his eyes were as big as Saucers and had the same look as Sean Brody as Bruce was heading for him in the Pond. Fear had taken over. We calmed him down and told him to go in and do NOT say anything to anybody. Waves were really good for summer and it wasn't really THAT crowded. Having him go in and report a "sighting" meant beaches would be closed to everyone for several hours, at least, while the helicopters were called out to look at natural behavior.

And even Saturday AM, Helicopters cruising the beach and at least two Lifeguards doing beach walks at each field as spotters.
Best part? Nobody out.
youre dropping nsss on the erbb...what do you thing this is nynjsurf

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
They really didn't know. And now that OCearch has tagged all the great whites, and we know that they behave totally differently than anyone thought, I suspect it was
Yes, but they didn't know. The damage those two sharks did says no, not that a bull shark can't wreak havoc.

Do you go on the Ocearch website? It's really cool. They attach transponders to great whites off cape cod in the summer when they hunt seals, and then track them. They behave totally differently than everyone thought. Everyone on the East Coast thought they stayed way offshore. Wrong. They swim into the inlets on the east coast, into the estuaries, and up the rivers. They mostly follow the coastline. They have been tracked cutting through the straits of Florida, through the Florida Keys, and into the Gulf of Mexico, going as far north as the Florida Panhandle.

They are snowbirds, heading south to Florida in the winter.

It's freaky, considering they have only tagged a fraction of the great whites.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
They really didn't know. And now that OCearch has tagged all the great whites, and we know that they behave totally differently than anyone thought, I suspect it was

Yes, but they didn't know. The damage those two sharks did says no, not that a bull shark can't wreak havoc.

Do you go on the Ocearch website? It's really cool. They attach transponders to great whites off cape cod in the summer when they hunt seals, and then track them. They behave totally differently than everyone thought. Everyone on the East Coast thought they stayed way offshore. Wrong. They swim into the inlets on the east coast, into the estuaries, and up the rivers. They mostly follow the coastline. They have been tracked cutting through the straits of Florida, through the Florida Keys, and into the Gulf of Mexico, going as far north as the Florida Panhandle.

They are snowbirds, heading south to Florida in the winter.

It's freaky, considering they have only tagged a fraction of the great whites.
I haven't visited that site in a while. I should re-visit.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
A dead great white shark washed up on Long Island yesterday
big enough news to be next up on fox News!