Giant South Swell this weekend for Hawaii's South Shores

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
When I worked the bar scene in Waikiki in the 80's, we'd get off work and hit the bars that stayed open till 4:00 AM. Drive down to panics and guys would already be standing in the parking lot and watching the waves. Small kine talk, the morning would be cool. The first glint of sun over Diamond Head and you'd grab your fins and head for the water

The scent of the old tuna packers processing plant in Kewalo Basin lightly sweeping over the lineup with the tradewinds as the first wave was taken by someone. Crisp, diamond like droplets illuminated by the rising sun, flying off the top of the curling wave till it ends at the rock wall..
One wave, one bodysurfer. It's always been like that at Point Panic's. :shaka:

That is a wonderful little bit of writing PPK.
Thanks for sharing it.
Loved it.

Take care.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
F Wait so it’s NOT going to be big perfect and uncrowded?! Dammit @ElOgro I just changed my flight, my wife is livid but she agreed to air mail my laptop to the Hilton Village at Waikiki. Why I even let you guys peer pressure me is beyond me

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
F Wait so it’s NOT going to be big perfect and uncrowded?! Dammit @ElOgro I just changed my flight, my wife is livid but she agreed to air mail my laptop to the Hilton Village at Waikiki. Why I even let you guys peer pressure me is beyond me
Look on the bright side, you can hookup with @gbg ! Don't forget your Jimi pants for Hotel St. fun.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Look on the bright side, you can hookup with @gbg ! Don't forget your Jimi pants for Hotel St. fun.
Nah, apparently GBG doesn’t even like his beloved secret spot above chest high :roflmao: :poke: :roflmao:

and @ElOgro will you ever be happy for me? I really don’t know many more people who have a more fulfilling and adventurous life while still holding down a New York City based career. I even brought down a bunch of brand new, still tagged childrens clothes for the kids, and a few boxes of school supplies, and at the advice of my hotel concierge, I left them by the donation box at the church in crucecitas
207A582E-3D37-49CB-8FC5-44FEBB4AA9B7.jpeg

i also gave the guide my hypto krypto. To say he was stocked is an understatement.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Nah, apparently GBG doesn’t even like his beloved secret spot above chest high :roflmao: :poke: :roflmao:

and @ElOgro will you ever be happy for me? I really don’t know many more people who have a more fulfilling and adventurous life while still holding down a New York City based career. I even brought down a bunch of brand new, still tagged childrens clothes for the kids, and a few boxes of school supplies, and at the advice of my hotel concierge, I left them by the donation box at the church in crucecitas
View attachment 133939

i also gave the guide my hypto krypto. To say he was stocked is an understatement.
Stop whining. I'm happy for you no matter what. Save some gear to give away in the 808.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Thank you. My whining is only a passive aggressive way to keep bragging about how perfect this week was. And even though we missed what “might” have been the best secret session of the week, it WAS pretty cool to surf the marquis Barra with a minuscule crowd. Last day was far from subway’d. Even Friday with the crappy winds was a really fun tourist day. Also- I’m not REALLY getting my panties in a bunch. The reality is, the more you break my balls the more I feel the love
A9604F70-CB9A-40DA-A898-2670566AE0CE.jpeg

ECA422B1-B546-482D-87DF-B28E72F01494.jpeg

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I just don't know where to go unless it's the west side

I know it's awesome, but I am terrible at Town

A water main broke last night and washed the bridge out at Kahana. Kamehameha Hwy is closed there, probably for a while

Prob just ride mountain bikes until winter

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
It’s too big for most spots. Bowls is closing out the channel every 5 minutes.

Dawned Queens. First time I surfed Waikiki in at least twenty years. It’s been a minute since I’ve walked that sidewalk and paid for parking to surf too.

We just sat inside and went for reforms that were still a little overhead. First wave got a really long left. Didn’t really know what the wave was going to do and probably sped past the barrel section. Spend the rest of the sesh looking for another chance at a wave like that. Saw a couple of incredible tube rides.

A bunch of guys I knew were filtering in and out. Made a mistake asking where to sit and each one told me something else. Got more confused than I already was.

Rode the 5’10 4X which was fine but could’ve rode a flatter rocketed boar and if I wanted to try to snag an outside bomb would’ve been better on a 6’4 or longer. Waves were coming in fast and the current was ripping so need the foam to chase sets down.

Pretty tired. So much swell in the water.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Drove all the way out west but didn't go in. Ma'ili was firing, along with the end of the road. Everywhere else was meh.

Went to Magic Island and Bowls was mostly carnage. Swam to Baby Haleiwa. Surprising amount of current out there. After getting dusted on the sets a couple of times, I cut the sesh short.
Too much of a good thing?

Reactions: Subway and sponge