Sharpeye Surfboards

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Good cause I just happy hour yolo’d an xtr disco cheat. I know the internet isn’t a safe space……. but I borrowed a friends FireWire Dom 2.0….and LOVED it. Couldn’t bring myself to buy one. But best way I could describe it was a Flare with more rocker

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
My buddy has been riding nothing but his round tail Disco Cheater for the last few days in solid head high El Sal

Reactions: MathDebater

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
DC way more pinny in the back half and different plan shape. Also different rocker profiles but i'd venture to guess the measurements aren't too dissimilar.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm loving the Disco Cheater. I haven't surfed it a ton because it's been small and I've been trying to rehab my knee but every session I've had on it it has felt really good. Last 3-4 sessions I've been running the MF Twin/Trailer set and I really like the way it feels with that setup. I probably wouldn't have tried this setup but Racer said he liked his with twin/trailer so I gave it a shot. No issues sliding out or anything, feels like a good thruster with a bit less drag.

Being rather short and not super fishy the board doesn't paddle around amazingly but it's not too bad. It gets into waves just fine often letting me glide in fairly early if I get up over the nose and get a few good paddles in. It has enough curve to keep the nose out of trouble on a late drop too. The tail holds in on a hard bottom turn and the board comes around quickly off the top. Feels equally good frontside and backside. It's really predictable and mindless to surf and I rarely have any weird moments that I could blame on the board. Especially coming off the i72 it feels like there is no adjustment needed it just has a little more glide and fits in the pocket better in smaller surf.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It's a sneaky little board. Looks bland but you can absolutely rip on it. Nothing weird about it.

Edit: why am I not ordering a DC from XTR with the sale?
I thought you have one already.... Why not an i72 or regular disco?

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Just got back from a week and half in El Salvador. brought 3 boards but basically only surfed the IF72.

One of those boards that has that spark as soon as you get it under your feet. The width makes it very stable, but doesn't really hinder it on turns at all.

Had a blast surfing it in anything from waist high to a few feet overhead. Looking into getting another sharpeye before mentawais in September

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Just got back from a week and half in El Salvador. brought 3 boards but basically only surfed the IF72.

One of those boards that has that spark as soon as you get it under your feet. The width makes it very stable, but doesn't really hinder it on turns at all.

Had a blast surfing it in anything from waist high to a few feet overhead. Looking into getting another sharpeye before mentawais in September
What are the dims on your I72? Definitely an awesome board... waiting on a custom from dark arts.

Didn't you also take a pyzel mini-ghost?

Has anyone seen the twin turbo in person? Prettttttty sick.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm loving the Disco Cheater. …
Especially coming off the i72 it feels like there is no adjustment needed it just has a little more glide and fits in the pocket better in smaller surf.
an I72 + Disco Cheater would be a great 1-2 punch mini quiver.
Sheet. So now we gotta yolo 2-boar mini quivers from a shaper?? Runnin outta room here, bros!
:drowning:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I'm loving the Disco Cheater. I haven't surfed it a ton because it's been small and I've been trying to rehab my knee but every session I've had on it it has felt really good. Last 3-4 sessions I've been running the MF Twin/Trailer set and I really like the way it feels with that setup. I probably wouldn't have tried this setup but Racer said he liked his with twin/trailer so I gave it a shot. No issues sliding out or anything, feels like a good thruster with a bit less drag.

Being rather short and not super fishy the board doesn't paddle around amazingly but it's not too bad. It gets into waves just fine often letting me glide in fairly early if I get up over the nose and get a few good paddles in. It has enough curve to keep the nose out of trouble on a late drop too. The tail holds in on a hard bottom turn and the board comes around quickly off the top. Feels equally good frontside and backside. It's really predictable and mindless to surf and I rarely have any weird moments that I could blame on the board. Especially coming off the i72 it feels like there is no adjustment needed it just has a little more glide and fits in the pocket better in smaller surf.
As someone waiting on an XTR DC I couldn’t be happier to hear such kind words. I assume, given the review, you‘ve found the nose width manageable? I was surprised (not in a bad way) that the stock 5’10 19.75 had a +14in nose….but I guess that’s why “cheater” is right there in the name!

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
As someone waiting on an XTR DC I couldn’t be happier to hear such kind words. I assume, given the review, you‘ve found the nose width manageable? I was surprised (not in a bad way) that the stock 5’10 19.75 had a +14in nose….but I guess that’s why “cheater” is right there in the name!

Yeah the nose width seems fine. I think because it's not super thick and chunky up front and it has some rocker it still fits into the curve of the wave really well. The more I get used to it the more comfortable I've become really getting up over the front and trusting the rocker to keep me out of trouble on steep drops. It's proven surprisingly confidence inspiring in steep, punchy beachbreaks in the waist to head high range. Still have yet to ride it in more rolling, mushy surf but so far for bowly little waves the thing slays.