Lake Mead water ... What will California do when it's gone??

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Your mistake is that you are thinking on a business level. If water is scarce, all the letters you just typed are meaningless.
I'm thinking on a survival level.

"we" don't grow crops, sole proprietors llc's and corporations ( ie private enterprises) grow crops. and while california govt has some serious entitlement issues, dictating ag what crops they can grow shouldn't become the next expression of sacramentos overreach.

what a farm decides to grow is a private business decision balancing production costs and potential gains. farmers dont grow almonds because they love growing almonds (though i am sure some do) they grow them because it yields the most profit for their acreage.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
"we" don't grow crops, sole proprietors llc's and corporations ( ie private enterprises) grow crops. and while california govt has some serious entitlement issues, dictating ag what crops they can grow shouldn't become the next expression of sacramentos overreach.

what a farm decides to grow is a private business decision balancing production costs and potential gains. farmers dont grow almonds because they love growing almonds (though i am sure some do) they grow them because it yields the most profit for their acreage.
What hapens is the private enterprises will suck all the water out of the ground growing those almonds until there is no more water, then leave. "We" get stuck with no groundwater, dust-bowl soil, and no money.

Reactions: PPK96754

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Your mistake is that you are thinking on a business level. If water is scarce, all the letters you just typed are meaningless.
I'm thinking on a survival level.
oke. when this goes road warrior tell me which would you rather have. a sack of almonds or a bundle of mustard greens?

Reactions: Ifallalot

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Doc,
You're still struggling with this.
maybe so. since i dont rely on an agency to provide my water. i guess im outta touch with the just turn on the tappers

93% of ca's population relies on municipal water. as of march 2022 urban water usage was up 19% from march 2020.

southern california purchases and imports the vast majority of its water. why? because the regions use outpaces its local supply. duh

so when "suddenly" socal's imported water is pinched what do residents do? do they start conserving their asses off and make 15ga/day/person work?

easier to play the blame game. ag accounts for 80% of water use statewide to grow food so fvck those guys.

yet how many of you 24m socal desert peeps are actually using only 3 five gallons buckets of water a day? total.

Reactions: maybe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
meanwhile ....it was 102⁰ the other day on fillmore and the wind was blowin 16 knots and THIS was going on at 2pm...:drowning:

:drowning:
Watching techies get their prissy hobby vineyards shut down is going to be hilarious.
National aqueduct
I like the idea of draining Canada and floating Trudeau down the aqueduct tied to a lot for the opening ceremony.

Seems like we could’ve solved this problem for the $100 bn we wasted On the high speed rail and the $32 billion stolen over the past two years in UI fraud. Maybe we could use the $69 bn “surplus.”

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is good.

To me, killing off agriculture is foolish in the extreme. We're already seeing global competition for food and famine is a regime-ending event. That said, I don't see how there's enough water to keep watering all of those fields unless we switch to crops that grow in almost a desert. Way above my pay grade.
That was an informative video (until the infomercial at the end...but hey, gotta pay the bills). California as the bread basket of the nation and world is a reality. The folks along the MIssissippi flood plane that balk at diverting water to CA need to understand this.

One thing I don't understand is he says (and I don't doubt him) that the majority of the state's water (precipitation) is in the north. But when you look at ground water levels, the most dire shortages are also in the north.

I know it's like pissing in the ocean to make it saltier but we've got rain barrels collecting all the water coming off our roof (countyu was giving them away). We switched to a drought resistant garden (cacti, succulents, sages, etc). And then we see our neighbors with sprinklers irrigating their lawns and water streaming down the street....
:foreheadslap::mad:

ps I checked our water bill. We use less than 1500 gallons a month (<2CCF). Family of three. Works out to less than 17 gallons a day each. Way under the CA median of 48 gallons a day. And we are not smelly.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I just had to move water for the four visitors in the lower house, right at 45 gl/day use. By myself I’m under 15 average. 30 with my wife here. Kids and grandkids and their friends all bets are off. We buy trucked in water during the dry season, $50/2,700 gl. Expensive.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

One thing I don't understand is he says (and I don't doubt him) that the majority of the state's water (precipitation) is in the north. But when you look at ground water levels, the most dire shortages are also in the north.
Watch Chinatown, with Jack Nicholson.

You're bound to understand then.

North has the dire shortages, mostly because it's drained to supply the south with water to irrigate their lawns sprinkler style and water water the excess run off down the street, after filling all the swimming pools, of course.

:foreheadslap::crazy2::socrazy::beer::drowning::drowning::drowning:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Watch Chinatown, with Jack Nicholson.

You're bound to understand then.

North has the dire shortages, mostly because it's drained to supply the south with water to irrigate their lawns sprinkler style and water water the excess run off down the street, after filling all the swimming pools, of course.

:foreheadslap::crazy2::socrazy::beer::drowning::drowning::drowning:
This is incorrect. Ground water does not get shuffled around, it is either used onsite or within a small radius for a single town or small city. Ground water aquifers vary greatly in the amount of water they hold from one county to the next, or even within a county.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Really? From here....

"A cry went out from the agrarians to the politicians: “Steal us a river.” They were eyeing the flood flows of the Sacramento River up north. If the plan sounded audacious, well, just such a theft had already been accomplished by the City of Los Angeles, reaching up and over the mountain to steal the Owens River.
This is how the federal government, in the 1940s, came to build the Central Valley Project, damming the rivers and installing mammoth pumps in the Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta to move water to the dying farms in the middle. This is how the state of California, in the 1960s, built the State Water Project, installing more pumps in the delta and a 444-mile-long aqueduct to move more water to grow more farms in the middle and more houses and swimming pools in Southern California.

This is how we’ve come to the point today, during the driest decade in state history, that valley farmers haven’t diminished their footprint to meet water’s scarcity but have added a half-million more acres of permanent crops—more almonds, pistachios, mandarins. They’ve lowered their pumps by hundreds of feet to chase the dwindling aquifer even as it dwindles further, sucking so many millions of acre-feet of water out of the earth that the land is sinking. This subsidence is collapsing the canals and ditches, reducing the flow of the very aqueduct that we built to create the flow itself. "

:shrug::computer:(y)

This is how the ground water was drained me thinks. Over time, sucking from rivers and lakes, in the long run the bill has to be footed from somewhere.

Nothing is for free, nor without impact.

Reactions: hammies

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That was an informative video (until the infomercial at the end...but hey, gotta pay the bills). California as the bread basket of the nation and world is a reality. The folks along the MIssissippi flood plane that balk at diverting water to CA need to understand this.

Looks like they're using those NASA/JPL radars to measure that. We're great at monitoring.

I know it's like pissing in the ocean to make it saltier but we've got rain barrels collecting all the water coming off our roof (countyu was giving them away). We switched to a drought resistant garden (cacti, succulents, sages, etc). And then we see our neighbors with sprinklers irrigating their lawns and water streaming down the street....
Yep. No assibiyah.

ps I checked our water bill. We use less than 1500 gallons a month (<2CCF). Family of three. Works out to less than 17 gallons a day each. Way under the CA median of 48 gallons a day. And we are not smelly.
There's all kind of things we could do. Not everything would work in every situation, but we could definitely capture some on our rooves and use less. In cities they could build ground-water settling ponds and de-sal. We just have no will to get this done.
In her talk, Tung pointed out that violence hadn't always been Wari's answer to environmental stress. In fact, the Wari built their empire during a previous drought, thanks in part to their mastery of complex irrigation techniques. But she speculates that once the political system broke apart, the Wari could no longer cope with the increasingly harsh climate. "It's a one-two punch," she said. "The drought is layered on top of these other really intense changes."
My kids and I watched a documentary on the civilizations of the region West of the Andes. These mofos were ingenious with water and started their civilizations in arid regions. Over time, they just collapsed the way empires do.