How’s the stock market?

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
we walked into one of the busiest and most popular bar/grills in LB a couple of days ago. Manager looked my nephew up and down, asked him a few questions, and hired him on the spot as a server, with precisely 0 days of restaurant experience. He started training last night, trains again Saturday night, and starts his first shift Sunday evening.

He then got a call from one of the first places we stopped into, also offering him a job. They were too late (and by too late, i mean just a few hours) so yeah at least in Long Beach, the service industry is indeed struggling to find help, even still with al the students home from College, and the seemingly endless supply of teenagers that are always biking around LB
The boomer dream is back! Now we just need housing prices to drop back down to ~$50k

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
1B meta users?? With a $299 barrier to entry?

ok zuck.

Took FB six years to get 1B users and it was free and had free instant messenger (third world countries ate that up).

The most popular PlayStation only sold 133m, no way Meta selling 1b googles.

The only way they scale is if you can earn income in the MetaVerse, like every day people can go In and make an hourly wage.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Made some money this week but it's a dead kitty bounce IMO. Market won't find its bottom until the fall.

Reactions: sussle

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mid-year check of the 401k and hey, what do you know, year to date am down less than the S&P 500 (which is down around 20% for year to date).

Hopefully the last 6 months of auto-buy ins every two weeks pays off when I need to start taking $ from this in 5-10 yrs.

1656617182213.png

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't know what his strategy is.

That is my strategy, that' why I went all cashin my 401k back at the start of the year.

erBBers told me that was a bad idea.

:roflmao:
I think you misunderstood the general message. You telling us we should all do something, and us saying we will not follow suit and will stick to the proven strategy of holding through tough times and DCAing, is not us saying that it’s a bad idea.

Trying to time the market is not recommended because oftentimes people sideline their money during times of growth. Which is not to say that it can’t work.

Reactions: Mr Doof and sussle

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
1B meta users?? With a $299 barrier to entry?

ok zuck.

Took FB six years to get 1B users and it was free and had free instant messenger (third world countries ate that up).

The most popular PlayStation only sold 133m, no way Meta selling 1b googles.

The only way they scale is if you can earn income in the MetaVerse, like every day people can go In and make an hourly wage.
What if the target market is "useless" people?
The government will give you a META voucher which is routed directly to META like Section 8 housing vouchers are routed to landlords. META keeps you out-of-the-way of "useful" people.

There would be various niche experience offerings on META for these people. For example, Wokies could use voucher credits to experience - I'm making this up - being George Floyd. Others would pay to play an immersive Grand Theft Auto or WoW. And don't forget virtual SEX - liaisons with total strangers, but virtually using a Hapta suit. We're almost there already, the transition should be seamless,

Imagine a combination of "READY PLAYER ONE" and "IDIOCRACY."

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
We are still having trouble finding people to work at our restaurant, especially cooks.

Took my grom to Panda Express the other day: they're starting at $18/hr and cooks at $22/hr. He asked if he should work there, haha.
Restaurants in LA are suffering big time WRT shortage of willing employees. Yes, they need cooks, more than front of house people.

There is also some "corporate restructuring" going on with larger places. Assistant managers, wine directors, and sommeliers are being let go. I know three who this happened to in the last week. Some of that could be summer slow-down. I dunno.

Our other LA sales rep is also getting an "ominous" vibe from her restaurants right now.

How many of you made calls on oil futures?

Great mustache 10/10. I'm mad jelly.
Those are "Tuk Tuks" not rickshaws.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Restaurants in LA are suffering big time WRT shortage of willing employees. Yes, they need cooks, more than front of house people.

There is also some "corporate restructuring" going on with larger places. Assistant managers, wine directors, and sommeliers are being let go. I know three who this happened to in the last week. Some of that could be summer slow-down. I dunno.
IMO I don't think there is any way around the cost of labor issue with restaurants, especially in high cost of living areas. There is only so much labor you can price into a plate of food before people stop eating out, except for the occasional nice meal out or special occasion. Unless you only serve business travelers and other high dollar clientele who don't care.

Aside from your "white tablecloth" restaurants, I could see most traditional table service restaurants going the way of QR codes with mobile ordering and food runners who bring everything to your table. We are already seeing this starting to happen. Which is fine, however I see more places stuck in the awkward middle where you have to stand in line to order and if you want another beer or a salt shaker (don't get me started on salt being removed from tables), you have to stand back in line again. If you are going to make that switch, go all the way.

Reactions: sdsrfr and PRCD

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
IMO I don't think there is any way around the cost of labor issue with restaurants, especially in high cost of living areas. There is only so much labor you can price into a plate of food before people stop eating out, except for the occasional nice meal out or special occasion. Unless you only serve business travelers and other high dollar clientele who don't care.

Aside from your "white tablecloth" restaurants, I could see most traditional table service restaurants going the way of QR codes with mobile ordering and food runners who bring everything to your table. We are already seeing this starting to happen. Which is fine, however I see more places stuck in the awkward middle where you have to stand in line to order and if you want another beer or a salt shaker (don't get me started on salt being removed from tables), you have to stand back in line again. If you are going to make that switch, go all the way.
Don't get me started on the QR code menus. I hate this so much. I suppose most people are happy to sit down at a restaurant and continue looking at their phones, which mostly they have been doing all day anyway. It's not what I want to do when I go out to eat. I don't mind having to ask for salt, but I also rarely need to add salt.

Also, I hate that servers are carrying mobile phones/iPads to take orders. IMHO making people look at screens in hospitality is a bad idea.

Last edited: