Potential Move to Puerto Rico

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
You should’ve seen the group message on Easter with this guy…for those of you who haven’t met 20W I promise you he’s 100x worse in person…I mean 100x more well behaved
He is not fat anymore.

Apr 18, 2022
Wow, Puerto Rico sounds really cool and tempting! I know this country is famous for its mountains. It's an incredibly beautiful place. You can buy real estate there at a good price, as far as I know. Are you planning to move there to live? There seem to be frequent floods. When you buy a house, you should get an insurance company right away. I can recommend youi.com.au. I'm not sure if they work in Puerto Rico. But as far as I remember the local firms are in trouble.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Wow, Puerto Rico sounds really cool and tempting! I know this country is famous for its mountains.
Las Tetas de Doña Juana, first mountain I ever ate acid tabs (plural) on; el Yunque, first moutain I ever ate a mushroom fresh, straight from a cow patty, post serious rinsing.

Plenty other more mountains in P. R. too.

Reactions: Ttboi

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
May thru October mostly sucks on the East Coast. June/July/August is generally one inch dogshit, a million degrees, and more packed than canned sardines.
I grew up there. I know how terrible it can be. I would still be surfing though. Not IB, DMJ or Mugu barrels but enough to keep me stoked. I have surfed alot on the east coast the last 10 years on my trips back there. But yea last July and Aug I was there 7 weeks and only surfed 5 times.

Reactions: manbearpig

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I think that’s extremely doable depending on job situation. The newly remote people have no excuse.
not really doable if you make your residence PR. Due to tax laws most remote work companies will not allow you to work in puerto rico. The only way is if they already have payroll there or you are an independent contractor

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
not really doable if you make your residence PR. Due to tax laws most remote work companies will not allow you to work in puerto rico. The only way is if they already have payroll there or you are an independent contractor
Oh damn had no idea. I’m about as far from remote work as you can get so I’m not very well versed in it.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Oh damn had no idea. I’m about as far from remote work as you can get so I’m not very well versed in it.
Ive had numerous recruiters reach out with remote jobs that look good until I bring up is working in Puerto Rico, Guam, or Virgin Islands acceptable…

my current company provides commercial cleaning and has direct employees and subcontractors in PR so it’s as simple as ticking a box on my payroll documents. Without that you end up with a complicated web of tax issues for you and the employer.

this isn’t limited to Us territories either. I’ve had people tell me I can work remote but only from states They have existing payroll set up.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Y u hate:

1-) VPN.
2-) keeping an open bank account in the state where your employer operates.
3-) crypto for transfers to your local PR bank.

OR

4-) bank with a bank that has branches in both PR and the state where your employer is, get paid locally, withdraw locally, no fees except the usual ones to keep the account.

Anything can be done in this day and age.

Before I took my mother on to care for, I was transcribing for an Irish Insurance Co, part of a multinational parent Company. I never met my employer, they only paid by direct deposit into their local Irish bank, all I had to do was open an account with said bank online, and set up a monthly transfer for the salary. Easy as pie, homies actually thought I was British working from London, as that's where I set my VPN to appear I was.

:computer::cheers::applause2:;)

Reactions: MathDebater

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I grew up there. I know how terrible it can be. I would still be surfing though. Not IB, DMJ or Mugu barrels but enough to keep me stoked. I have surfed alot on the east coast the last 10 years on my trips back there. But yea last July and Aug I was there 7 weeks and only surfed 5 times.
Sounds like you scored

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
49F4FC32-7D92-4BB6-8778-4695AF285DB1.jpeg
Providing an update. Things are happening. Here’s the sketches from the final house plans.

poured Concrete walls and block framing.

3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom 1,600SF with 2 car garage. Master bedroom opens up to patio on top of the garage.

bottom floor is living room, dining room, kitchen, 1/2 bath and laundry room

upper floor is 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom + master bed and bath.

probably break ground in 2 months