The illegal street vendors have taken over the boardwalk and I’m a bit pissed about it.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I'll bet they have a bunch of vendors illegally selling the delicious bacon-wrapped Sonora dogs there in Mission Beach. I can get behind that.
we have those guys here, also there was a lady who would pull a little cart on wheels through various bars to sell tamales -- amazing, and right when you needed them the most. believe she passed.
I dunno, guess I'm usually fine with 'informal economy' things

• Love
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Negocios informales. They are everywhere in Mexico. Right in front of negocios formales. Blocking the door. Sometimes selling the same exact product. 25% cheaper. They have an association and strong community representatives. They pay gangsters for permission/protection and low level government slugs to look the other way. Most of what’s sold is black market stuff.
In Manila in the Philippines mostly Muslim Filipinos came to Manilla from other places and set up stalls over time right on public roadways so that a 3 lane road would have the sidewalk and one lane occupied by illegal vendors, the second lane for their parked cars and only one lane for traffic. This cancer gradually grew all over Manila. The vendors payed local officials rent, often more than what a real store would pay, and the real stores went vacant and became toilets for the vendors. Or they built their own toilets over sewer grates. Or they built on to the fronts of real stores, occupying the sidewalks so pedestrians had to walk in the street. My wife said this did not exist there at all when she left in the early 80's. With truly massive efforts they have been clearing it away slowly for the last few years.

If you can, stop it now before it gets out of hand. Where I live 15 vocal attendees at every televised town board meeting can get a lot done. The board sees a group in the audience and gets the message.

Here's coverage of street clearing in Manila - where it goes if left unchecked:
https://fb.watch/dVzAddvwgj/

Reactions: SlicedFeet

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Kids post up on public spaces and put up lemonade, cookie etc stands. What about them?
I see more in town than previous years but nothing like the OP.

Would you want it to be like this? --> Tennessee Public Land Camping - felony

View attachment 132566
Oh yeah, totally the same thing!

I'm sure their parents are camping there at night too, ready to beat the sh!t out of anyone who disturbs their stuff, which of course I'm sure they are leaving overnight.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Oh yeah, totally the same thing!

I'm sure their parents are camping there at night too, ready to beat the sh!t out of anyone who disturbs their stuff, which of course I'm sure they are leaving overnight.
I meant i see more push carts and food vendors in town than ever before. But if there are permit requirements for street vendors in public areas then it would apply to those lemonade stands. I have no problem with either but agree they should have to pack up and remove them when they're not operating.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Rainbow umbrella push carts selling fruit drinks and sugar are now seen all over 805 because no one said any thing and now tripled the amount:toilet:

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
My friend that works at the city told me it's probably going to take a year waiting for the coastal commission to review the ordinance
$38 business licence fee for free reign over public parks, spaces, streets and beaches…Thank you Mayor and City Council Members.

Now if they were selling something more intriguing, like pot, mushrooms, LSD, Roofies…I could get behind that. Sunshine Daydreams followed by an Afternoon Delight. Come on Cartels, step it up a notch, this is America’s Finest City. Corona bandanas straw hats are so Pre-Social-Media.

• Love
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
wifey worked a flower stand down around the sb boardwalk in the 80's. no one complained because back then it was all cute white chicks in string tops and short shorts.
Area allowed vending my older brother helped Asian lady set up stand for knitted bikinis:shaka:

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
id KILL for this locally. i wouldnt even care what itd do to my weight. id gain a hundred pounds and die happier than all of you
Go to a USC football game or other large event at the LA Coliseum or the new soccer stadium immediately adjacent. There are literally 50 or so unlicensed bacon-wrapped hot dog vendors serving up the goods, loaded with grilled serranos and all the trimmings. The city just lets it happen because it's been a tradition forever and all they care about is if everything stays calm. People with ice chests are on hand, selling tall boys for like $4. The cops don't do anything, and it all works.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Go to a USC football game or other large event at the LA Coliseum or the new soccer stadium immediately adjacent. There are literally 50 or so unlicensed bacon-wrapped hot dog vendors serving up the goods, loaded with grilled serranos and all the trimmings. The city just lets it happen because it's been a tradition forever and all they care about is if everything stays calm not a crime. People with ice chests are on hand, selling tall boys for like $4. The cops don't do anything, and it all works.
The cops don't do anything, and it all works.
That part..

Reactions: Tarab_ish