Roe v Wade - DONE!

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So if we view the legality of abortion as a human rights issue, what do we make of this....

Seems like based on what the doctors are saying, a human's life is ended when an abortion is performed. Therefore, if the discussion is framed from the perspective of "human rights" for "human lives" it seems we would have to weigh the rights and welfare of two separate human individuals when deciding how to govern abortion.

But, for many folks, its just intuitively obvious that this thing...

View attachment 132516

...is probably not worthy of the same rights and responsibilities that we assign to this thing...

View attachment 132517

But why is that true? Is there something else that needs to be considered other than "human life" and "human rights"?

Maybe a little something called "personhood"?

Has that concept reared its complex and fascinating head on this thread yet?
Exactly how the right is going to try and ban abortion nationwide.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Exactly how the right is going to try and ban abortion nationwide.
that would seem to be a false statement here on the erbb where our right leaning posters (with the exception of the honorable @PRCD) seem to express general support for a woman's right to kill the thing in her uterus at her discretion

i would offer for your consideration the possibility that not everything in the universe is best framed as right vs left

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
it's an old saw but it's true: if men got pregnant, the right to abort would go unquestioned.
Just to be clear with the abortion fans, we’re ok with male “legal” abortions as well, ie, giving up the rights before birth and therefore being absolved from all legal, social, and financial obligations to the child?

Gotta have equity and consistency here, people

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It's basically the sacrament of a religion, but not in the sense that you're falling down before a carved image of Baal as you offer your child to it. As state in Romans 1, people worship the Creator or creation. The latter could be anything - yourself, your convenience, self-determinism, the earth/sky/water, or carved images of deities over the same.

Having thrown-out Christianity, Westerners have increasingly turned to ideologies over the past century, building on various 18th and 19th century philosophers. These tend to be based on extremely shaky, transitory philosophical foundations and are often mass movements, sometimes resulting in great die-offs such as in the ideological states of Nazi Germany, the USSR and Mao's China. New ones crop up all the time though:
can someone give me a read on this?

I feeling that between this and the bible verse thread, we're back in to a sky is falling state....

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Just to be clear with the abortion fans, we’re ok with male “legal” abortions as well, ie, giving up the rights before birth and therefore being absolved from all legal, social, and financial obligations to the child?

Wat?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

did they teach you that at Proud Boi summer camp? coz it makes no fooking sense whatsoever. you neatly make the case that men are clueless to the essence of this issue. well done:cheers:

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
When I was in Delaware in May the young lady I was dating told me she was not going to have sex with me if Roe v Wade was overturned. I was like WTF? I guess I will have sex with someone else? She said guess you better because you voted for Trump and people like you are responsible for this. She was really drunk and I kinda let it go. The next night she was all cuddly and was like do you know how much I love you and I was like No. I don't. Do you remember all the things you said last night? We had been together for over a year. She was distant the whole trip. Not the same. She was freaking out about the shootings, violence, costs spiraling out of control, getting priced out of living at the beach. I came back to SD not really knowing where we were as a couple. She wants to pretend like she never said this. So I just stopped talking to her. We are having a Mexican stand-off. Her social media is full of meme jabs that seem directed at me and most of her family who are conservatives. I'm not a conservative by any means. I just knew Dumb Fuck was not capable of running this country and his approval rating shows I am not wrong. Not sure I should try to reach out to her at this point? I feel like the enemy.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
When I was in Delaware in May the young lady I was dating told me she was not going to have sex with me if Roe v Wade was overturned. I was like WTF? I guess I will have sex with someone else? She said guess you better because you voted for Trump and people like you are responsible for this. She was really drunk and I kinda let it go. The next night she was all cuddly and was like do you know how much I love you and I was like No. I don't. Do you remember all the things you said last night? We had been together for over a year. She was distant the whole trip. Not the same. She was freaking out about the shootings, violence, costs spiraling out of control, getting priced out of living at the beach. I came back to SD not really knowing where we were as a couple. She wants to pretend like she never said this. So I just stopped talking to her. We are having a Mexican stand-off. Her social media is full of meme jabs that seem directed at me and most of her family who are conservatives. I'm not a conservative by any means. I just knew Dumb fook was not capable of running this country and his approval rating shows I am not wrong. Not sure I should try to reach out to her at this point? I feel like the enemy.
I’m sorry this is happening to you.