Lost MR California Twin

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
My mate is on his third one he likes it that much. It's his go to board for anything up to head high. I've ridden it a few times and quite enjoyed it. Feels like RNF meets Puddle Jumper. Had a really hard time deciding whether to order RNF96 or Cali Twin lately but went RNF cause of fin placement for twin only.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2014
My brother has one and it’s a solid board. I’ve ridden it a few times and it’s fun. We live on the gulf and ride it between the gulf and FL East coast. I would agree that it goes great under head high, probably could go in overhead surf if it’s clean. Some Similarities to my RNF redux

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Had one, it’s better than any of the RNF iterations - including the latest rnf 96.

will get another in better construction- lost poly is hit and miss

Reactions: Havoc

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
For me, the CA twin paddled better and easier to get into waves. More fishy glide.

RNF96 required more input to get going. Had the 96 in their light speed construction which I didn’t like.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

DW2

OTF status
Jun 16, 2006
North County
Have been riding a stock poly for a year and a half. Not sure how it would translate for the waves you get in NZ, but for b-grade socal beachbreak it's money for me. Grovels as good as any of the domesticated boards I've had (many), but you can actually put it on rail - goes vert backside and frontside roundies feel really good. Never had a RNF 96, but would think it's low end is more limited and is not as evolved of a design.

Reactions: Havoc

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
well chit i have been riding puddle jumpers as my low end board last couple years and thought id get an rnf 96 as my next one to try but now im confused. if you like puddle jumpers but want soemthing that goes a more vertical get this MR CA twin, rnf 96 or PJ HP?

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
well chit i have been riding puddle jumpers as my low end board last couple years and thought id get an rnf 96 as my next one to try but now im confused. if you like puddle jumpers but want soemthing that goes a more vertical get this MR CA twin, rnf 96 or PJ HP?
Puddle jumper pro is coming. Somebody posted the 22 catalog somewhere

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Puddle jumper pro is coming. Somebody posted the 22 catalog somewhere

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I've just got a PJpro (won't be able to surf for the next month or so, haven't ridden it yet), plus a RNF96 on order (due in August). We were comparing the two in the shop, PJPro feels more "grovely" for sure. Had a PJHP which I loved previously. I'd say depends on the waves you're riding :)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'd expect any of those to go vertical more readily than the PJ, but I've only ridden the PJHP of the group.

Reactions: hotCheetos

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
RNF96 holds in more solid waves. Cali twin wasn't on my radar, but it is now and it seems like a fun & logical step down from the RNF. been preferring the predictable feel of pu, my RNF96 is pu, i briefly tried a Lightspeed one and it felt like a completely different board (in a bad way for me). my whole quiver is pu at the moment.

edit: say what you will about Biolo's vast catalogue of models, but he seems to have the 'domesticated' designs for the average surfer dialed. my previous DD for San Diego was an XTR RNF Retro that I rode a lot for several years.

Last edited: