Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
More Humpback activity, this from down around Victoria recently.
Photos courtesy of Mollie Naccarato.

This is Big Mama spy-hopping.
HumpbackBigMama.jpg
Big Mama has been a prolific breeder and this is her seventh calf.
Doesn't show much of it but the researchers have positively identified it as Calf #7 for Big Mama.
HumpbackBigMamasCalfSeventh.jpg

Here's an older shot of some Orcas passing by across from where I live.
Note the one spy-hopping to check things out.

OrcaBabySpyhopping.jpg
Been lots of whale and Orca activity recently.
Must be springtime or something.

Somebody should tell the weather. LOL

Take care.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
My friend and photo-nut, Karen Wasilenchuk watched these two Eagles on top of a large crane apparently having a discussion about whether this was a good spot or not.
Here's the wife beaking off about it.

KarenEaglesOnCraneCloseup.jpg

Followed by a rather withering look from the husband..
KarenEaglesOnCraneReply.jpg

She might have a point, as this doesn't seem a good spot to hang about on.

Long view showing their location.
KarenEaglesOnCraneLongshot.jpg

Women can be so picky sometimes.

Take care.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
It's a ring-tailed cat. My buddy has had a bunch they caught in their attic and released back into the wild.
Super cool animals and I have never seen one myself in person.
They caught theirs in Glendora, CA.
Where was this one?
A bunch. Wow. They’re not exactly common. This one was on some lady‘s porch here in
SW Colorado.

It’s probably better if I don’t see one because Id totally try and capture it for a pet.

Reactions: Hump and keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
A bunch. Wow. They’re not exactly common. This one was on some lady‘s porch here in
SW Colorado.

It’s probably better if I don’t see one because Id totally try and capture it for a pet.

Hahaha! I'd try to make one a pet too.

I'm starting to think they aren't nearly as rare as I thought they were because they keep showing up.
They are almost 100% nocturnal so I reckon that is why we don't see more of them.

I've posted these vids before but since we are on the topic I'll post them again.

This one here is from my friends office in Phoenix at about 4:00 AM and it's not even scared. The guy videoing seemed a little more concerned than the little guy. LOL.

Here is the vid from my friends attic in Glendora. They just keep coming back and they can't figure out how they are getting in. They have caught 7 of these things to date. All caught in the attic.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Live about 150 yards from the bay and a pair of Mallards have started visiting my back yard bird feeder. Have to be careful when letting the dog out now as the ducks aren't so quick getting airborn over the fence.......

View attachment 132504

View attachment 132505
I have a few visiting my wife's bird feeders and my dog's water bowl and Buddy could care less that they are cautiously taking over,