Healthier to be overweight and strong than lean and weak - article

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
@Woke AF

What VonMeister is advocating is the HAAS movement: Healthy At Any Size.

It is the latest "It's OK to be fat (it's actually healthier)" trends.:shameonyou:

Surprising you're unaware because "It's OK to be fat (it's actually healthier)" is one of the cornerstones of woke philosophy.

Hmmm, that's weird. Now narcissists are advocates for acceptance and inclusion? And the ideologically Woke believe physical strength is the most important thing in life?

WTH, have I been Rip(ed) Van Winkled?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hmmm, that's weird. Now narcissists are advocates for acceptance and inclusion?

And the ideologically Woke believe physical strength is the most important thing in life?

WTH, have I been Rip(ed) Van Winkled?
Eventually you come full circle.

Fat people tend to be pretty strong, they often have to build muscle to be able to carry all the weight.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@Woke AF

What VonMeister is advocating is the HAAS movement: Healthy At Any Size.

It is the latest "It's OK to be fat (it's actually healthier)" trends.:shameonyou:
No, he's not. Read more carefully. We're talking about trade-offs. Read the article. One Off and Von Meister have posted several articles about frailty being a killer - loss of muscle and bone mass leading to a catastrophic injury when an old person falls. This is is what lead to teh downward spiral of my maternal grandfather. There are also the mental aspects of being able to do less and less as you age because of loss of muscle mass, some of which can be remediated.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No, he's not. Read more carefully. We're talking about trade-offs. Read the article. One Off and Von Meister have posted several articles about frailty being a killer - loss of muscle and bone mass leading to a catastrophic injury when an old person falls. This is is what lead to teh downward spiral of my maternal grandfather. There are also the mental aspects of being able to do less and less as you age because of loss of muscle mass, some of which can be remediated.
One thing I've noticed is I rarely see old, frail males in the ICU.

Pretty much all of them are fat.

The overwhelming majority of them have had a hip or two replace, and of course the knees.

An old, frail male is generally "Wow" because they are ideal - lightweight - and such a rarity.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

The overwhelming majority of them have had a hip or two replace, and of course the knees.

An old, frail male is generally "Wow" because they are ideal - lightweight - and such a rarity.
Are they fat and weak or fat weightlifters?

In general, obesity is a killer by itself and it's better to be thin. But we're talking about a middle ground of "overweight" AND "stronger," not "obese" and "weak/untrained."

Also, half of men are dead by 76 and 80% die within a standard deviation of 76. Look at Grandpa Sh1ts - he's 79 and frail and he fell off his bike last weekend.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
If you are not enjoying the magic of progressive overload you are missing out on one of life's great pleasures.
Yep. If you sat on your couch and did nothing but drink soda and eat chips and gained 50 pounds some of that would be muscle tissue. It has nothing to do with carrying the weight.
But carrying it might make you hold onto the muscles gains.

If you wear a 35 pound weight vest for 24 hours it's going to trigger adaption.

Reactions: grapedrink

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
6’ 185 around 22% body fat last time I checked. Haven’t weighed myself in a couple months but I’m noticeably leaner in the gut, so body fat is probably below 20%.

Mark Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength begins by saying that physical strength is the most important thing in life, and this is true whether we want it to be or not.

This stuck with me when I read the book. I’ve watched a bunch of Rippetoe’s podcasts and I like a lot of what he has to say. Stopped watching when he started charging. One of his many dogmatic positions is about how useless it is to have visible abs which was a mind-opener for me. I‘m a naturally thin guy, used to run and thought lean runners were the epitome of health. Once I started reading research from BBM and Stronger by Science and some other Rippetoe stuff, I found it very interesting that progressive overload in resistance training is actually better. Running = exercise whereas weight training = training = measurable progression over time.

Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Frailty is not a word you use alone to diagnose. If you're talking about sarcopenia, this is found more often in the underweight aging population. There are other frailties that would be more common to the obese population, who usually die of other causes before they are diagnosed with sarcopenia.

The physical frailty you are clumsily trying to post about is sarcopenia. This frailty phenotype is diagnosed via a number of variables....unintentional weight loss; self-reported exhaustion; low energy expenditure; slow gait speed; weak grip strength, ability to stand up unassisted from a chair etc. Using these metrics a physician would make a diagnosis on the totality of markers...not just one. These characteristics are not clustered or unique in the obese population.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Are they fat and weak or fat weightlifters?
I have noticed that in men being fat goes along with having a lot of muscle mass.

In women about half of the fat tend to have a lot of muscle mass - way more than than women who are not overweight.

Just anecdotal observations, of course, but I can remember when I first started to doing this I was always surprised how much muscle fat people had compared to your average person.

I have also noticed a lot of fat people lately claiming "weightlifting" as a hobby which I find odd, but then again it makes sense because their joints are already so bad even at a young age.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
If you are not enjoying the magic of progressive overload you are missing out on one of life's great pleasures.

But carrying it might make you hold onto the muscles gains.

If you wear a 35 pound weight vest for 24 hours it's going to trigger adaption.
But once the adaptation is complete it's done. Plus most people at this level of obesity don't move around very much. There isn't a remarkable strength adaptation to the physical demands of being obese.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Frailty is not a word you use alone to diagnose. If you're talking about sarcopenia, this is found more often in the underweight aging population. There are other frailties that would be more common to the obese population, who usually die of other causes before they are diagnosed with sarcopenia.

The physical frailty you are clumsily trying to post about is sarcopenia. This frailty phenotype is diagnosed via a number of variables....unintentional weight loss; self-reported exhaustion; low energy expenditure; slow gait speed; weak grip strength, ability to stand up unassisted from a chair etc. Using these metrics a physician would make a diagnosis on the totality of markers...not just one. These characteristics are not clustered or unique in the obese population.
I used the word frail only as a reply to another post using the word frail.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Mark Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength begins by saying that physical strength is the most important thing in life, and this is true whether we want it to be or not.
The most important thing in life is shelter and the ability to put food on the table.

Without that one is unable to develop physical strength.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I have noticed that in men being fat goes along with having a lot of muscle mass.

In women about half of the fat tend to have a lot of muscle mass - way more than than women who are not overweight.

Just anecdotal observations, of course, but I can remember when I first started to doing this I was always surprised how much muscle fat people had compared to your average person.

I have also noticed a lot of fat people lately claiming "weightlifting" as a hobby which I find odd, but then again it makes sense because their joints are already so bad even at a young age.
Muscle tissue is not strength. Muscle tissue alone does not improve your health outlook. I don't know of anyone who would make this claim.