ibolic

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Yes. He is smaller in height and weight than Dan. So its understandable.

Plus Timmy is a former CT surfer who has won 1st place in a QS event (Balito). Tomo is an exceptional surfer, but not to the degree of Timmy. I personally think Timmy's surfing style is a lot like Kelly - perfect technique.
I love your enthusiasm..... and Timmy is a great surfer, but would struggle to make a heat in the CT these days.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I love your enthusiasm..... and Timmy is a great surfer, but would struggle to make a heat in the CT these days.
I dont know about that Toddo. Timmy still looks to be in good form. He said in a podcast with Chris Grow that he has never "officially" retired and is open to the idea of competing again. Slater should give him a wild card entry into the Surf Ranch.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I dont know about that Toddo. Timmy still looks to be in good form. He said in a podcast with Chris Grow that he has never "officially" retired and is open to the idea of competing again. Slater should give him a wild card entry into the Surf Ranch.
Wildcard for an event is one thing but I’m not sure he’d have a fun time trying to qualify for the CT again. Did he fall off tour 10 years ago by choice? I don’t remember

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
[QUOTE="ReForest] Also assuming "the community" asks him to do one :ROFLMAO: (jk Noel).
[/QUOTE]

Haha, almost forgot that Noel is a thing. Seems like his board reviews are fewer and further in between these days?

Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Dan and ReForest

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Getting back to the tech... why is this Ibolic thing OBJECTIVELY better than a standard wood-stringered EPS-epoxy?

The only area that I can see Ibolic's superiority is the quality of its marketing.
The deck is going to hold up better with a 3mm skin sandwich, the rails should be more durable due to balsa perimeter. performance wise i'd guess sweet FA.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The deck is going to hold up better with a 3mm skin sandwich, the rails should be more durable due to balsa perimeter. performance wise i'd guess sweet FA.
The rails are high density foam. The middle is high density foam. The top has a 3mm deck skin but the bottom does not. It’s the closest thing to a Stringerless epoxy. The flex is perfect (IMO) but the durability is far better than an XTR epoxy or PU (because of the deck skin and sandwich consruction). It’s a huge step forward for firewire. Which is why they’re releasing other models in this tech. After getting off an XTR revo straight into an iBolic Revo I can definitely feel the similarities.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'm good with "exactly like PU with wood stringer, but lasts longer and dents less"

Is iBolic that? ... if so, sign me up.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I'm good with "exactly like PU with wood stringer, but lasts longer and dents less"

If that's true, sign me up too! Until that's objectively correct, forgive me for being hesitant... especially after the previous "game changers" of:
Rapid Fire - went the way of the dodo for a reason
LFT - rode ok, nothing special, terrible snap resistance
Helium - never rode it. Didn't seem to catch on

Maybe the original parabolic tech was the best?

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
If that's true, sign me up too! Until that's objectively correct, forgive me for being hesitant... especially after the previous "game changers" of:
Rapid Fire - went the way of the dodo for a reason
LFT - rode ok, nothing special, terrible snap resistance
Helium - never rode it. Didn't seem to catch on

Agreed, I'm not making a claim in favour of ibollocks, just stating the bar it would need to clear for me to be excited about it.

I'd hazard a guess that it actually was the best, being the closest to what Bert Burger wanted, but was not economically feasible, at the time at least. He claimed in an interview with Scott Bass that the main reason he left - he wasn't willing to compromise, but still felt like the OG parabolic's better than PU.

Reactions: ReForest

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
About 12 years ago I picked up a parabolic-stringered thruster off a 2nd hand rack. standard ply stringers, PUPE, shaped by Col Ladhams. Worked well, well-shaped, but nothing groundbreaking. it did feel a bit different on rail, but not something I could objectively say was better.

Not yet convinced there is a measurable advantage compared to centre-stringered boards (Without fancy ibeams)

Reactions: need 4 speed

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

I haven't ridden a PU wooden stringer board in years and last time i did it felt stiff and not good. So i'd say the iBolic does not feel that way. I think iBolic feels very similar to an XTR stringerless epoxy build, but more durable. Same weight coming in around 4lbs.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I got's some Ibolics. Check the heel denting and asym rails! I think this tech works better on bigger boars, not on 5' 3" ers.
Balsa, and EPS, 1/16 deck and bottom, 1/2 on the rails.
View attachment 132110
Bought used cl early '00 Fletcher 4 parabolic stringer, CFT construction 5'11" x18.75" x2 375" board is brown but still has plenty of pop left