Is WSL trying to prevent another Brazilian world champ?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Is WSL trying to prevent there being another Brazilian world champ? Trying to keep it from being a Filipe and Italo runaway blowout?
Atleast pushing to make the other guys have a shot at it. Felipe, Italo and Medina are lightyears ahead of the rest. The last final was rigged!

Reactions: GromsDad

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
any time a dude needs a score, he gets a last minute wave and claims it, they give it to him. often it is undeserved.
but it aint a conspiracy based on nationality. they should fix the system so the judges wont know what score anyone needs to get the lead.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Is WSL trying to prevent there being another Brazilian world champ? Trying to keep it from being a Filipe and Italo runaway blowout?
Perhaps. Maybe they think Brazzos winning all the time is not good for the sport financially. They would know these things.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Just as a for instance, I have watched Colapinto and Toledo surf, in person, a lot. In small waves they are absolutely comparable, but Griffin has a better style. In waves of consequence, it’s not even close. Toledo doesn’t surf them unless he has to. Colapinto loves it.

Italo rips, but he’s a spaz. It all just looks forced. Ewing surfs like Andy. You can deny it all you want, but there it is.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just as a for instance, I have watched Colapinto and Toledo surf, in person, a lot. In small waves they are absolutely comparable, but Griffin has a better style. In waves of consequence, it’s not even close. Toledo doesn’t surf them unless he has to. Colapinto loves it.

Italo rips, but he’s a spaz. It all just looks forced. Ewing surfs like Andy. You can deny it all you want, but there it is.
I'm not hating on Griffin at all. Watched the waves in that final several times and just like the prior two events Filipe got screwed.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta

IMO, spot on. Though, I love Toledo's surfing. When he's not trying too hard I think he has power and style.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm not hating on Griffin at all. Watched the waves in that final several times and just like the prior two events Filipe got screwed.
Flippy had better airs in that final. Culopinto had better turns. Too close to say Flippy got screwed.

Italo is not getting scores because of triple bottom turns and ugly check turns on every ride.

Mediner isn't even trying right now and still making it to semi's.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I think anyone who claims/points/gestures/eyeballs @ the judges should have their scores halved.

That would take all the Brazilians out of contention for a couple of years at least. Some of them would be done for good. Not capable.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
You could also invoke the nose tweak as the ultimate scoring maneuver.

The tension buildup in your average Brazilian attempting such a move would result in spontaneous bone breaking.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Seems like they want Jack Robinson to win it. I don't think he should have won either Margaret's or G Land. But, I would take the following: Robo wins this year and Shannon can not be on any future broadcast, ever. Fair enough.

As for Felipe, his surfing in bigger waves has gotten a lot better that past few years. Looking forward to see how he does in Tahiti.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
If you come from a culture or society where there are no coincidences - where corruption is rife, the hidden hand controls the market and racism is endemic such as Brasil, Italy or Russia, it is easy to spot conspiracies everywhere.

If you are from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Iceland, such assertions appear to be delusional and foolish.

Reactions: Drumsurf

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like they want Jack Robinson to win it. I don't think he should have won either Margaret's or G Land. But, I would take the following: Robo wins this year and Shannon can not be on any future broadcast, ever. Fair enough.

As for Felipe, his surfing in bigger waves has gotten a lot better that past few years. Looking forward to see how he does in Tahiti.
I could see Robinson's win at Mags because he was the hometown hero and he pulled that clutch air against JJF. I saw the judges award Italo a 7 for the same air against Kolohe at Snappers years before. IDK about G Land - Toledo took that loss better than I would. He's a good sportsman, so it's hard not to like him. His backhand on overhead waves is siiiick.

I like the idea of the judges not being able to see the heat scores. Seems like they have to see their previous scores to be consistent.

Reactions: Boneroni

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
. . . In small waves they are absolutely comparable, but Griffin has a better style. In waves of consequence, it’s not even close. Toledo doesn’t surf them unless he has to. Colapinto loves it . . . Italo rips, but he’s a spaz . . .
The current wave of the Brazilian Storm ranging back to Adriano de Souza have gotten jerkier and stinkier as they’ve been rewarded by a WSL that has no judging criteria for style.