***Official Real Estate Thread***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't know what rice, grapedrink, vanrysss, kool-aid are talking about.

SF is a sh!thole and only complete "loosers" live here.

-SF employed/ SFhomeowner/taxpayer/tuna-fish sandwich for dinner maker/backyard snow pea growing/used car buying/new bike frame buying/thrifty/high paddling to surfing ratio mofo out :computer:

PS
The Crosstown trail gives a person a reasonable idea of what SF is, landform wise...probably can extrapolate other data from it.

PS
When bicycling the Crosstown train, no one snickered at my top tube bike pad when I carried it up some steps...at least not that I overheard:

1655408217274.png

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
If I had to pick a major US city to live in SF would be at the top of the list. I visit for work a few times a year and have found the homeless issue way overblown. Been all over the city and there's only a few areas where they're visible. Portland is much more overrun.
It's crazy how bad it got in the past couple years. I have family up there and visit at least a few times a year and I never remember it being so bad. Still, I've never had my window smashed out in the middle of the day in a nice part of the city like we had happen to us in SF last year.

Reactions: kawika and Mr Doof

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
here’s a fun one - you can tell how good the drugs are based on the number of hookers on the street. If you don’t see any hookers the drugs aren’t worth hooking for.

the street has its own economy and you’re just passing through.

once you come to accept that, it’s actually a lovely place to co-exist. Lol.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm long AF on San Francisco. Even with all its troubles, It's still, and always will be, a top 5 city globally.

The whopping 50k people that left SF are quickly being replaced by Millennials and Gen Z's clamoring for rooms for rent at $1500 a piece and one-bedrooms are back to $3600+. The rental market is coming back fast.

I talked to someone the other day who said it was hard to find a good apartment and they had to put down a deposit on the spot. The unit below me was rented out in 3 days and it's not that nice. Every single unit I have (with the exception of some office space) is occupied at 80+% of the rental high-water mark and no one is leaving.

No one wants to live in Austin forever. The Miami tech craze is dying with the collapse of crypto and all the homies that moved to Washington, Idaho, and Utah are starting to second guess their decisions.
Sounds like the earth is healing. WAGMI.

• Haha
Reactions: drainer

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It's crazy how bad it got in the past couple years. I have family up there and visit at least a few times a year and I never remember it being so bad. Still, I've never had my window smashed out in the middle of the day in a nice part of the city like we had happen to us in SF last year.
Oregon plates
:shrug:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
here’s a fun one - you can tell how good the drugs are based on the number of hookers on the street. If you don’t see any hookers the drugs aren’t worth hooking for.

the street has its own economy and you’re just passing through.

once you come to accept that, it’s actually a lovely place to co-exist. Lol.

The alley behind work's old building was a prostitute destination for the vehicular lunch/afternoon sex trade.

Economy going up = lots of action

Economy doing down = little less action with more associated crime

SF is full of beautiful, intelligent women making buckets of money too. Portland is like 50/50 she's rocking a 70s bush and pursuing her dream of starting a nut butter brand.
Win win!

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I just looked up my old house in Temecula and redfin/zillow values it at $650K. It's been at that price point since Jan 22.

Does anyone think a 3/2 track home in the I.E. with low end finishes on a 4000 sqft lot is worth $650K? I sold it at the end of 2017 for $390K. Four years later the price is up nearly $300K. The house should realistically be in the $450K-$500 price range in a healthy market.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I just looked up my old house in Temecula and redfin/zillow values it at $650K. It's been at that price point since Jan 22.

Does anyone think a 3/2 track home in the I.E. with low end finishes on a 4000 sqft lot is worth $650K? I sold it at the end of 2017 for $390K. Four years later the price is up nearly $300K. The house should realistically be in the $450K-$500 price range in a healthy market.
no, I don’t. I think the redfin and zillow estimates are to get clicks and pad “active users” with existing home owners stroking to their imagined equity on paper.

redfin is off the charts in my neighborhood, even when a comp sold $100-150k below their estimate (fall 2021), the house was then claimed to have sold $100k-$150k below the market price. Instant equity!

zillow i have found isn’t as bad but still puffs up the number quite a bit.

Reactions: grapedrink

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
no, I don’t. I think the redfin and zillow estimates are to get clicks and pad “active users” with existing home owners stroking to their imagined equity on paper.
While I agree, there were a bunch of houses in the neighborhood selling for $650K or more.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

redfin is off the charts in my neighborhood, even when a comp sold $100-150k below their estimate (fall 2021), the house was then claimed to have sold $100k-$150k below the market price. Instant equity!

zillow i have found isn’t as bad but still puffs up the number quite a bit.
I dunno, man. Zillow says my little shitbox house is worth 1.9 and every sale in my neighborhood this year has been for over 2.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

No. Also, you have no money left-over for upkeep. Everyone says they will DIY when they buy the house but it's hard to make things look good.

My parents neighborhood in HB is interesting - built in '65, houses worth over a mil, and everything is falling apart in a lot of them.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
No. Also, you have no money left-over for upkeep. Everyone says they will DIY when they buy the house but it's hard to make things look good.

My parents neighborhood in HB is interesting - built in '65, houses worth over a mil, and everything is falling apart in a lot of them.
Location, location, location

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So were a lot of California beach towns. Santa Cruz, Pismo, Oxnard, Oceanside etc. HB is midway between 2 major metros, pretty much perfect weather, and has done a good job of marketing itself as a beach destination over the years.
Let’s talk about your autism.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink