Sharpeye Surfboards

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Has anyone ordered a custom from Sharpeye recently? If so, how did you go about it? How long did it take to get the boards?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Back in college in 2001 I ordered two thrusters from Marcio $300 each. A friend from the Caribbean had a hook up. I got a 6'5" x 18 1/4" x 2 1/4" and a 6'8" x 18 1/4" x 2 3/8" and when I was picking them up, he said he had a EPS team board that I could have for $50. It was a 5'10 x 20" x 2 1/2" stubby thruster. I said nah that thing looks wack and fishy (fck fish back then). He says, "trust me it's going to go inshaane." I said ok, whatevers. Turns out he was right, was one of the best boards I've ever had top 5 for sure. I called him (from a landline to a landline) a few weeks later and said he was right.

I realize now that it might have been an early disco cheater? Damn no wonder I love my disco cheater.

Marcio was cool as could be and has been making amazing boards for decades. Stocked to seem him blowing up now.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My thoughts too. I'd be lying if I said it couldn't be the archer, but I had LOTs of chances to make the thing work that day. Even after I slid out on a bottom turn, I said, "hey Sixty, maybe your foot wasn't back all the way...". Adjusted, made SURE my foot was back, pushed off my bottom turn, still felt totally out of control. Never found the rhythm that whole session. Keep in mind the waves had some juice, and most sets were easily OH. Not at all what it was designed for.

I don't think it's the width of the tail, but how quickly it draws in and narrows, and maybe my fin selection (pretty small fins... maybe F6s). Also, the amount of tail rocker was way more than I needed for hard, delayed bottom turns I could draw way out.

Could be my preferences toward more parallel outlines? Could be I suck? YMMV.
I had this happen for what I think is the same reason on my first Baby Buggy at pretty punchy (for North Florida) shoulder-head Mayport.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Is it a very full rocker like the 77? I've never been able to feel up an Okay model. I like my 77+ but it needs legit good and big surf to come alive. I've been wanting something that's a step up from the i72 but maybe isn't quite as highly tuned as the 77.
I'm kind of a dunce when it comes to curves, bottom contours, etc. I'd have to put it next to another board to say but I think it was a decent continuous rocker but not extreme. Didn't feel too slow on the fatter waves if that's any indication. What is noticeable is the width is carried out quite a bit more than the Okay or 77 which makes the 6'1 doable for me at 31 ish litres. The 77 and Okay both were like 29 at a 6'1 so I would have had to bump up to a 6'3 to get the liters right from a stock board or really tweak the dims to fit the volume into a 6'1.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm kind of a dunce when it comes to curves, bottom contours, etc. I'd have to put it next to another board to say but I think it was a decent continuous rocker but not extreme. Didn't feel too slow on the fatter waves if that's any indication. What is noticeable is the width is carried out quite a bit more than the Okay or 77 which makes the 6'1 doable for me at 31 ish litres. The 77 and Okay both were like 29 at a 6'1 so I would have had to bump up to a 6'3 to get the liters right from a stock board or really tweak the dims to fit the volume into a 6'1.
Yeah thats helpful. I think the 77 would probably feel slow on fatter waves. The 77+ i have is as close to 90's rocker and foil as anything I own.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
What a coincidence, I just got a disco cheater as well. Arrived at freight shipper today. Will post when I get it.
One of my favorite shortboards, got a replacement for my 4 year old one that's getting pretty beat and doesn't feel as poppy.
From surftech, stringerless carbon EPS layup. I think it works from knee high to a few few overhead. I size it a little bigger than a stubby/dumpster diver, but shorter than HPSB. I'm 6'1 and like the 5'10 x 19.75" x 2.6"
Have you had a Stamps Flare to contrast? It seems similar wide nose but more rocker?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Have you had a Stamps Flare to contrast? It seems similar wide nose but more rocker?
DC feels almost more similar to a Grinder X I think. Depends on dims though. I've had longer GX's that were more like a normal shortboard but I had a stubby 6-0 GX years ago that felt very similar this 5-11 DC. Short n wide but with kind of a performance board rail/rocker/concave combo. Flare is maybe just another click towards the hybrid side. Wider nose, little less rocker. Not drastically different and plenty capable of shredding. Maybe one of the wider dims DC's would be more Flare like but I think it'd still have just a little more rocker.