Rounded pin tail twins

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
What’s the verdict on the ci twin pin for SD reefs? How are peeps sizing it?
I'm curious about this as well. under arm both a 5'11 and 6'1 feel good to me at 185 lbs but most everyone I've seen says to size up.

would be curious to check out a 5'10 and 6'0 Pyzel Wildcat in person too

Last edited:
Reactions: j_mac and SD_Dan

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm curious about this as well. under arm both a 5'11 and 6'1 feel good to me at 185 lbs but most everyone I've seen says to size up.

would be curious to check out a 5'10 and 6'0 Pyzel Wildcat in person too
Oh you dropped a few lbs this month, huh? Keep up the hard work bro and you’ll be down to erBB dims in no time.

edit: I bet CSS will get some wildcats in stock soon, if you don’t feel like a drive to Oside

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've got a 5'11 CI Twin Pin that I recently had a chance to use in some solid left points. I would say that unless the wave you are surfing has some punch, you might want to look elsewhere.

It worked really well on a 6-8' day at a long sand point. Totally in it's element. On some other days when it was a little smaller or I was surfing a reef that was a little more mushy, it worked but it didn't really go as well, it really wanted some water sucking off the bottom and that's where it turned on. I'd say it was pretty much perfect on the bigger days. I had a 6'0 Ghost in my boardbag that never came out.

Not sure what San Diego breaks you are looking to use it in but I would say Blacks, hell yes. A smaller day at Cardiff or Swami's maybe not. A solid winter northwest at either of those spots, yeah.

I'm anxious to surf it in my local beach breaks but the gods haven't been too accommodating. I think I rode one right (my forehand) on it. No trouble surfing it backside but I would love to get it in some head high beach break or a right point.

I'm 5'10 x 165 and the 5'11 is pretty perfect size wise. I don't think I'd go for the 6'1 as the 5'11 has plenty of float.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I've got a 5'11 CI Twin Pin that I recently had a chance to use in some solid left points. I would say that unless the wave you are surfing has some punch, you might want to look elsewhere.

It worked really well on a 6-8' day at a long sand point. Totally in it's element. On some other days when it was a little smaller or I was surfing a reef that was a little more mushy, it worked but it didn't really go as well, it really wanted some water sucking off the bottom and that's where it turned on. I'd say it was pretty much perfect on the bigger days. I had a 6'0 Ghost in my boardbag that never came out.

Not sure what San Diego breaks you are looking to use it in but I would say Blacks, hell yes. A smaller day at Cardiff or Swami's maybe not. A solid winter northwest at either of those spots, yeah.

I'm anxious to surf it in my local beach breaks but the gods haven't been too accommodating. I think I rode one right (my forehand) on it. No trouble surfing it backside but I would love to get it in some head high beach break or a right point.

I'm 5'10 x 165 and the 5'11 is pretty perfect size wise. I don't think I'd go for the 6'1 as the 5'11 has plenty of float.
Good to know about this, I have wondered if the CI twin pin may have a lower range. Your thoughts are similar to my 5' 7" Album Bullet Twin. It is the board that I want to ride, but can't always ride. I find the board is sensitive to the type of fins. The waves were good until recently, I love surfing the Bullet Twin in the better waves. It handles the size so well. However, the transitioning from winter to summer is happening, last week the waves were smaller, I grabbed the Bullet Twin to surf a reef break and it was a no-go, lacked the push for the board.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Finally got to try mine in some good waves this morning. At 6'6" 19 3/4" definitely more of a stepup than a funboard. Holds well in steeper waves, never felt like I had to nurse it off the bottom, with how pointy the nose is (relatively) I felt pretty comfortable taking off deep not worrying if I was going to catch the nose or anything. Has all the benefits of a twin too, generates an insane amount of speed with a single pump and has enough glide to just connect sections without effort. All that being said, probably not appropriate for somewhere like California. I gave Daniel dims I was looking for, that I wanted channels and glassed on fins, the wave I wanted to surf it at and let him do his thing.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

Definitely agree. The board will go well in a pretty wide range of wave heights (I've ridden mine in 3 foot surf) but there as to be some push... otherwise the thing just drags.

Reactions: rowjimmytour