How’s the stock market?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So I heard in passing the other day that there is an actual lack of shipping vessels to keep up with long term demand due to lack of production capacity. Lotta shipyards no longer operational.

Can anyone elaborate?
The bulk of shipbuilding is in China. Their shipyards are working on their navy.
Container ships are delayed:

It'll be interesting to watch the US try to continue to be a maritime power with all of its shipbuilding in China.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Time to fire up the furnaces at Bath again! And maybe Groton while they’re at it. I have to imagine we could start building more ships domestically again if we had to. We may be in a very bumbling place right now as a country but I still don’t underestimate the power of the American machine to crank back up if foreign production continues to deteriorate

Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Time to fire up the furnaces at Bath again! And maybe Groton while they’re at it. I have to imagine we could start building more ships domestically again if we had to. We may be in a very bumbling place right now as a country but I still don’t underestimate the power of the American machine to crank back up if foreign production continues to deteriorate
We have no other choice. We must be a maritime power.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Worked for the British for several centuries until we took the mantle. What is the rule of thumb for global naval domination? Your naval strength must be twice the strength of the next 3 naval powers combined, or something like that

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Worked for the British for several centuries until we took the mantle. What is the rule of thumb for global naval domination? Your naval strength must be twice the strength of the next 3 naval powers combined, or something like that
That's was Alfred Thayer Mahan's formula, I think. He's kind of the Giulio Douhet of naval power - our admirals like him because he says we just need to build more, and for a long time, we did. We had a 500 ship navy in the '80s and totally dominated the world's oceans guaranteeing the shipping lanes. Things have changed. We're below half that now, I think. We definitely need enough ships but they don't need to patrol the world's oceans all the time. The British weren't doing that at first either. Good article on the two dominant maritime strategists in naval theory:

Reactions: Subway

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I think the oine of the next big plays will be who gets to rebuild Ukraine. The entire country appears to be reduced to rubble. Lots of $$$ gonna be "spent" fixing things up.

Who will get the contracts?

Reactions: Autoprax

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Next time tell us of the buys before it does well
Ha

I tried telling you about oil last year (?)

Later gave some info about some royalty sharing stocks.

That's the only reason I got in the market outside my 401K. Other than shorting ARKK.

Otherwise I know fvckall.

I know jackshit about Chinese economy and China internet...there is an erBB expert for everything.

That is why we are here.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Ha

I tried telling you about oil last year (?)

Later gave some info about some royalty sharing stocks.

That's the only reason I got in the market outside my 401K. Other than shorting ARKK.

Otherwise I know fvckall.

I know jackshit about Chinese economy and China internet...there is an erBB expert for everything.

That is why we are here.

Show us the buys or it is just talk

Reactions: racer1

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When did you do that?

Great move in light of the drop in price. When will you cover? Or did you already? Based on price alone history, now would be a good time to cover. 'Hogs get slaughtered' as the saying goes.

PS
Trading halted on a penny stock I look at occasionally....am too chicken to buy (and can't now). Might be one of the rare times people don't sell on the good news (if good that is). NEXCF

PPS
Looks like mngt bought for themselves, re. YELL. Maybe bottom is in?

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
When did you do that?

Great move in light of the drop in price. When will you cover? Or did you already? Based on price alone history, now would be a good time to cover. 'Hogs get slaughtered' as the saying goes.

PS
Trading halted on a penny stock I look at occasionally....am too chicken to buy (and can't now). Might be one of the rare times people don't sell on the good news (if good that is). NEXCF

PPS
Looks like mngt bought for themselves, re. YELL. Maybe bottom is in?
I love Yell at this price, and just bought some more. these Macro headwinds (high gas prices and Russia war) will eventually fade. It's the same company as it was before the war and the spike in gas prices