El Salvador in late June

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Went to Mango last summer for 12 days. stayed at the hotel on the point. really surprised on the crowd and this was during the lockdowns and heard it's worse when the Brazzo's show up. thankfully they did not. make sure the surrounding breaks like Flores have the correct working morning tides during your time there because all of their guests will show up at Mango's by the boatload if the tides are off.. wake early and paddle before the sun rises. wind comes up by 9am. it's really hot, like disgustingly hot. watched a NY'er fresh of the plane puke and almost faint on the inside section due to the heat. overall, i'd give it a 5/7 because i like going right and the locals were very friendly. i'm hoping to go back to Nicaragua again this summer instead because I believe it has everything i need in a surf trip.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
As a goofy, I'm lukewarm on my El Sal experiences, but I've only spent time around La Libertad.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I second what Dekerwild said about the heat and the morning low tides for some of the points, including Mango (from what I've been told).

I am pretty sure I had some bad dairy from the coffee place in the ATL airport. Went straight out no water mid-day heat. Normally not a problem for me coming from Florida in high summer - would just be a little dehydrated feeling. Combo of bad food plus dehydration plus heat was no bueno.

SMG

Jul 8, 2006
Thread hijack...

We went in 2019 to el Zonte and enjoyed the area enough to go back next month for my birthday. I arrive one day prior to my crew. Looking for airport shuttle and hotel recs for 1 night in Tunco. Any first hand reccommendations?

Saludos!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Thread hijack...

We went in 2019 to el Zonte and enjoyed the area enough to go back next month for my birthday. I arrive one day prior to my crew. Looking for airport shuttle and hotel recs for 1 night in Tunco. Any first hand reccommendations?

Saludos!
If you're looking to bag an afternoon/morning at Sunzal, Kayu or whatever it's called now is a good option. Much better budget options and walkable food in Tunco proper, but personally, if the sand is gone, walking on the cobblestone beach kind of sucks, and Kayu is high up and catches the sea breeze. Lots of these places you can probably email them and they'll have some dude.

If you want to surf Bocana, hop a whip to Roca, fvvk h00ks, get loose on a Friday in Tunco before the boys rock up, etc. just book whatever hotel looks best to you on the internet and make + hold eye contact with the craziest fkn dude in the rugby scrum after you get your bags.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Thread hijack...

Saludos!
Personally I would blow off staying right in Tunco and would propose staying at Casa de Mar.
-on the back end of my just finished trip we changed it up and stayed at a place in El Tunco and regretted it; the prior year we stayed at Casa de Mar and their accommodations are great, and Sunzal is right out front.

And once you get sick of the Pilsener brew, assuming you're an IPA fella, check out Cadejo Brewing Company; good food too.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Anybody been to el zonte? My gf and I are going there for July 4th . Starting to think it will be pumping for me, but too big for her

Fingers crossed for medium swell so I dont get blamed :bricks:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Anybody been to el zonte? My gf and I are going there for July 4th
Kind of an imperfect in between spot and not really a point. Doesn't really hold from my recollection. Zunzal would be best for her. Bring your mid or alt craft to hang (and compete) with the cools kids from home.

Last edited:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Also there's an inside wave at Roca in the bay a bit, La Paz. Waters kinda gross thou. You could maybe dump her there then surf the Point. None of the other waves in the east really compare IMO but I hear crowd factor there is heavy these days.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Also there's an inside wave at Roca in the bay a bit, La Paz. Waters kinda gross thou. You could maybe dump her there then surf the Point. None of the other waves in the east really compare IMO but I hear crowd factor there is heavy these days.
That sounds like it tempts Newton's Law of Chicks or something. For every dump there is an equal and opposite counter-dump. And I can't think of a worse situation to have the gf feeling dumped than when surrounded by wall to wall sausage with nothing to do all afternoon but try to mount.

• Haha
Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Probably was not the best advice.... :ROFLMAO: I've never had a partner that surfed for better or worse I guess.
I prolly wouldn't do that - Especially if there's swell and it's high tide.

Also, if you take a girl who's just learning how to surf on a surf trip to a place with really good waves, you get what you deserve. Do you both a favor and get a room at Casa de Mar and longboard Sunzal.