***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
couple fun ones in the south bay this a.m. stocked its light at 5:30 again. in and out of the water before traffic gets to bad. busted out the gx for the first time in a while. shoulder high sets, a little lumpy but rippable. forget how lively a gx can feel when ive only been riding a flare and fishies lately. got out as the crowd was getting in. time to make the bacon.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Met up with Oeste to give him his twinsman back and swap grovelers. Surfed some pretty crappy beach break but still got a few. I tried out O's Aipa modern fish. Definitely not ideal conditions but the board is a trip. The nose looks so high performance (relatively speaking) but the tail had tons of get up and go. The rental service is top notch, fins matched to the board were provided (Aipa futures) along with a reasonably good condition leash string. The fins felt a touch small but I will evaluate further in clean conditions.

I'm looking forward to hearing how Oeste likes the Manta.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Met up with Oeste to give him his twinsman back and swap grovelers. Surfed some pretty crappy beach break but still got a few. I tried out O's Aipa modern fish. Definitely not ideal conditions but the board is a trip. The nose looks so high performance (relatively speaking) but the tail had tons of get up and go. The rental service is top notch, fins matched to the board were provided (Aipa futures) along with a reasonably good condition leash string. The fins felt a touch small but I will evaluate further in clean conditions.

after a few more sessions on the Aipa fish you're gonna be like this:
1652300081609.png

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Real missed opportunity for us to be kook-strap hat bros together! Chickened out. LOL

We started at the reefs down there but wasn’t really happening so ended up at the desperation bar. Hate the spot: last time I was there a kook bailed his boar as I was bottom turning around him and busted out my fin. Plus I swear I’m like a 30% kookier surfer at beachbreaks- feel like I’m always thinking the next peak down looks better.
Lumpy WH-CH short period that only got more onshore during the hour we were out (marathon sesh for me!). I tried to be selective and was only getting short rides before they closed out. Then the last 15 min I just started going on anything and got my 2 best- well, longest- waves at the end. Rode the venerial loghtbender for the first time in months, ending my self-imposed Album embargo. I think I made it a month.
Curious how MD will like the Aipa Con Fish at his usual spots- think they’re pretty similar to mine.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
junky windswell day number 3450. Small enough to take out the spark plug though and it was a nice change. At first the waves sukt. I mean really sukt. Went down to a bar and got a half dozen rights that actually stood up for some nice cracks and gouges. Pretty fun except for this one guy that literally follows every single person that gets a decent wave.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Small waves this morning. It looked horrible from the road, but it turned into a fun session, much better than expected. Surfed the 5' 4" Plasmic, I have not surfed this board in some time. It was the perfect board for the conditions, lots of fun turns in the waist high waves.

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
High thirties air temp. High forties water temp. 1-3 with the very elusive shoulder high, one wave set. Very bumpy from the high winds the previous afternoon. Did some serious groveling on the 5'4" Lost Bean Bag. Livin the California dream!