Springy suit long arms or legs?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For me short sleeve full > long arm spring. If the water is 62 my arms will probably be cold unless it is a warm sunny day with light winds. If the water is warmer than that my arms just won't get cold on account of the air. Short arm/leg springsuit is always Done on account of the water, not the air.

Never had a long arm spring and just can't picture myself surfing a volcanic-thermal-spring fed rivermouth where the water was warm enough for my legs but the air was an icy blast from the snowy heights overlooking the setup and I'd want one.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Long arm short leg perfect here at the moment. Water is still almost 20C/70F, but mornings are very crisp. Also works really well on summer days with a strong (SW) sea breeze.

Get both. They're cheap, and last forever if you alternate between them.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
my calves don't get cold so long sleeve spring is the go to, can wear it down into the mid to low 60s water no problem. just gotta keep moving. not a fan of the forearmless suit

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
For me short sleeve full > long arm spring. If the water is 62 my arms will probably be cold unless it is a warm sunny day with light winds. If the water is warmer than that my arms just won't get cold on account of the air. Short arm/leg springsuit is always Done on account of the water, not the air.

Never had a long arm spring and just can't picture myself surfing a volcanic-thermal-spring fed rivermouth where the water was warm enough for my legs but the air was an icy blast from the snowy heights overlooking the setup and I'd want one.
yesterday up here in NFL was a perfect example of the long arm spring being used. Water was/is 73ish and the wind chill was about 68 with the 15-20mph NE winds. Wore the 2mm short arm full in the morning and actually got cold. Wore the long arm spring in the afternoon and the wind chill didn’t bother me as much in the upper torso area. Everyone who wore just a topper eventually froze they’re azz off.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
yesterday up here in NFL was a perfect example of the long arm spring being used. Water was/is 73ish and the wind chill was about 68 with the 15-20mph NE winds. Wore the 2mm short arm full in the morning and actually got cold. Wore the long arm spring in the afternoon and the wind chill didn’t bother me as much in the upper torso area. Everyone who wore just a topper eventually froze they’re azz off.
I wore a rashguard at lunch and was fine.

Monday night I wore a 1mm shortsleeve top for the wind.

Love the early May Carolinas low setup also.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I was a long arm spring kid

I'm a short arm full guy now.

I kinda feel like you get more mileage in cold water with a LAS, but it's way more comfortable to be in a SAF.
No knee chaffing, more shoulder mobility, easier to get in and out of (I guess that's debatable.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Cold water/warm air = short sleeve full

Warm water/cold air = long sleeve spring

Two different suits for two different use cases.

In the northeast I tend to encounter the later more. When I lived in SoCal I encountered the former more.

Reactions: Retropete

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If it's warm enough for a long sleeve spring it's warm enough to just use a wetsuit top and some boardshorts.
Your balls, satchel, and pepis are made of some space-age material with powerful thermodynamic properties.

I can force the ballsack at 68 on a nice day in a top. 67 and the un-rubbered ballsack is noping the f--k out, and the legs are going to to rigor mortis 2 minutes after I stop paddling/standing.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Your balls, satchel, and pepis are made of some space-age material with powerful thermodynamic properties.

I can force the ballsack at 68 on a nice day in a top. 67 and the un-rubbered ballsack is noping the f--k out, and the legs are going to to rigor mortis 2 minutes after I stop paddling/standing.
I bet you surf for matuse and get free or highly discounted suits and still complain about cold :shrug:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I bet you surf for matuse and get free or highly discounted suits and still complain about cold :shrug:
I'm way too kooky to be sponsored by anyone and way too fat and corn-fed/football to even wear Matuse much less model for them. You have to get laid a fair bit and wear black jeans to be on Matuse I think. Oh and you have to surf well most likely.

I'm not as cold-hardy as you are but I'm considerably gnarlier than the average Southern/Central California surfer from what I've seen. One February North at Mayport and half that state would need some hot chocolate, a stuffed animal, and trauma counselling.