How’s the stock market?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sigh. My point is that in comparison to tech stocks like Tesla, Shopify, etc dividend stocks are often priced very conservatively and trade at or near what is considered a healthy price to earnings ratio. These are the Coca Colas of the of the business world that are not likely to grow much because they are so large, but are also so entrenched and diversified that they aren't going anywhere either. Therefore there is typically no priced in upside based on speculative hype.
Correct, and they are not immune to price inflation - and most favorites like VTV and VIG are still in bubble pricing.

Discount pricing is a long way off - stocks aren't even factoring in recession yet.

But if you want to keep pouring money down the drain that's your choice.

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
l
I've never been accused of copying and posting something that any moron can create in less than a minute for free.... interesting how stuck on this you are. I don't even know what stocktwats is, but clearly someone touched you somewhere bad from there.
lol i think hes referring to stocktwits. the twitter for stocks.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Perfect example of a publication trying to turn sh!t into roses by repeating the latest talking points for morans. It will not age well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: parkiteric and PRCD

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm getting slammed. Most all of my stuff is super long term, so I'm still way in the black, but the paper losses are difficult to look at.
Looked at my 401k yesterday. :oops: Holy Hell!!!!! At least a years worth of retirement income completely vaporized. Every bit of money I've put in there over the past year and every gain from the past year..........gone.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It’s not gone unless you cash it out now. Be patient.
You could simply sell your positions and maintain that money in cash for now.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. It will be up to you when to jump back in.

We’re not even close to the bottom - we are yet to feel the effect of the bad economic indicators, recession has not yet been factored into pricing. Bubble pricing still in efffect and panic hasn’t yet set in.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
panic hasn’t yet set in.
Seems like it has in your world but I notice this often with people new to investing. An for Gromsdad to worry about his 401K today is dumb. Are we at the bottom? - hell no. will it rebound eventually - hell yes. 1 year - 10 years - makes no difference to me. I got 25 years more at least of pushing these buttons till i get to enjoy it so im a let my money sit there and do its thing. Plus I only invest with disposable money in the first place. Should be everyones first question. Can I lose this money with no impact on my life?

You also sound like a broken record - why do you care what people do with their own money? Sit on the sidelines and STFU.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seems like it has in your world but I notice this often with people new to investing.
Lol. You are mistaking my excitement for panic. I love this sh!t. Only reason I never pursued econ as a major even when it was suggested is the jobs options are boring. Not panicking by any means.

After converting most of my stuff to cash turn of the year + my oil and gas portfolio I’m up.

The only pain in my portfolio is the fact I got out of SARK too early.

An for Gromsdad to worry about his 401K today is dumb. Are we at the bottom? - hell no. will it rebound eventually - hell yes. 1 year - 10 years - makes no difference to me.
I got 25 years more at least of pushing these buttons till i get to enjoy it so im a let my money sit there and do its thing. Plus I only invest with disposable money in the first place. Should be everyones first question. Can I lose this money with no impact on my life?
That’s nice you have a bunch of money to flush down the toilet, but for people who are nearing retirement age watching their 401(k) plummet with a long ways to go it is understandably troubling.

You are accustomed to higher than normal returns that have been beat the sh!t out of inflation for a while now, this is not the standard, and accounting for the macro situation not likely the future. Do I think the US market will look like the N225 a decade or so back? Who the hell knows.

You also sound like a broken record - why do you care what people do with their own money?
Like I said not on the sidelines, might take profits again soon though.

Sit on the sidelines and STFU.
I’m glad you care about what I do with my money.

Not my fault you rode the ARKK wave down.:roflmao:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Sigh. My point is that in comparison to tech stocks like Tesla, Shopify, etc dividend stocks are often priced very conservatively and trade at or near what is considered a healthy price to earnings ratio. These are the Coca Colas of the of the business world that are not likely to grow much because they are so large, but are also so entrenched and diversified that they aren't going anywhere either. Therefore there is typically no priced in upside based on speculative hype.

I don't have any picks other than what I DCA every 2 weeks. I've learned that you either devote your time to playing the market full time, or you do it mindlessly with a sound strategy. If I had more cash and time I might do the former and would take greater advantage of the swings, but otherwise I make a strategy, stick with it and don't let emotions get in the way. As time goes on that strategy changes, but even then I stick with what I decide and don't get involved in the day to day.
I think Tesla is a steal right now.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I think Tesla is a steal right now.
I've been buying a few shares of this and that with my cash in account over the past couple of weeks as things take a dump. Not going big on anything but yeah, these things will recover.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s fine with me. Don’t get me wrong im the last guy to root for a recession. my billing very well could take a big hit, but then again, I was hired in 2007, and won my first sales award in 2008 in the teeth of the Great Recession. We’re a modestly resilient company even in tough times. What we offer in many ways becomes even more attractive when budgets and belts are tightening.

anyway, the earliest I would even really consider hanging up my steak knives and my el dorado is 2029, maybe 2030. and even then it would be with other income streams in place. My 401 k and other retirement vehicles may not even be touched until my 70s anyway

although I think when you turn 591/2 you have to start taking minimum annual withdrawals from your 401 yes?:shrug:

Reactions: parkiteric