How’s the stock market?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Most dividend stocks are boring vanilla stocks in established companies that trade very closely to their value based on a reasonable price to earnings ration and don’t grow much because they are past that stage in their business cycle. The whole reason why they offer the dividend is because they are not investing in marketing, ie zero hype and speculation, so they use the dividend to entice buyers.
Except even these stocks are somewhat inflated right now.

What are grape's picks for today?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Spirit and Frontier still struggling to even get planes off the ground, cutting back or completely eliminating certain routes as well.
Spirit is the least-leveraged of any major airlines, has multiple suitors at the moment (with offers at twice the current stock price), is about to merge into the 5th largest carrier in the country with Frontier, and is poised to reap the benefit of two years pent-up demand for air travel that is gonna erupt this summer. Spirit will be a nice flip - two weeks, tops, for a 20% profit at current prices.

edit: what i love about airlines is a) high volatility and b) nothing will replace air travel for the foreseeable future

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'm getting slammed. Most all of my stuff is super long term, so I'm still way in the black, but the paper losses are difficult to look at. On the upside, if I need cash the capital gains tax thing is becoming less of problem day by day. Technically speaking, support looks to be getting thin at these levels.

I promised my father I wouldn't put him in a home. I figure it has cost a solid six figures a year for home care. And I've been doing that for years and years now. The stock market has largely bailed me out on that. At this point it looks like my father and the market are both declining at the same time. In synch. Dad always had a way with the stock market. Appropriate somehow.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Except even these stocks are somewhat inflated right now.
Sigh. My point is that in comparison to tech stocks like Tesla, Shopify, etc dividend stocks are often priced very conservatively and trade at or near what is considered a healthy price to earnings ratio. These are the Coca Colas of the of the business world that are not likely to grow much because they are so large, but are also so entrenched and diversified that they aren't going anywhere either. Therefore there is typically no priced in upside based on speculative hype.

I don't have any picks other than what I DCA every 2 weeks. I've learned that you either devote your time to playing the market full time, or you do it mindlessly with a sound strategy. If I had more cash and time I might do the former and would take greater advantage of the swings, but otherwise I make a strategy, stick with it and don't let emotions get in the way. As time goes on that strategy changes, but even then I stick with what I decide and don't get involved in the day to day.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I'm getting slammed. Most all of my stuff is super long term, so I'm still way in the black, but the paper losses are difficult to look at. On the upside, if I need cash the capital gains tax thing is becoming less of problem day by day. Technically speaking, support looks to be getting thin at these levels.

I promised my father I wouldn't put him in a home. I figure it has cost about 200-250 a year for home care. And I've been doing that for years and years now. The stock market has largely bailed me out on that. At this point it looks like my father and the market are both declining at the same time. In synch. Dad always had a way with the stock market. Appropriate somehow.
Shilling for the most pretentious brand in all of the surfiverse while humble bragging about being loaded with money disguised as care for your old father. LOL!!!!!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Shilling for the most pretentious brand in all of the surfiverse while humble bragging about being loaded with money disguised as care for your old father. LOL!!!!!
Meeeee-OW!!

I take it sales at Kitty Dungeon Surfboards are in the cat box? :cry:

If it makes you feel any better, my father made the principle. I've just been sweating it out trying to do what he wanted and stretch it as far as possible. I was lucky enough to have a stock market that made it possible. The market seems to be giving it up the same time as my dad. Sometimes you get lucky.

But thanks!

Always fun!

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Well, the ten erbb members, who took my advice and got 2.375%-2.625% 30 year fixed with zero closing costs, ABSOLUTELY scored the deal of a lifetime. 30 year rates are now 5.0-5.25% LMAO

This economy is soooo fcked with inflation, supply chain issues, political turmoil, etc. Hold your cash, pull your equity out of home with a HELOC, and just be patient.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Well, the ten erbb members, who took my advice and got 2.375%-2.625% 30 year fixed with zero closing costs, ABSOLUTELY scored the deal of a lifetime. 30 year rates are now 5.0-5.25% LMAO

This economy is soooo fcked with inflation, supply chain issues, political turmoil, etc. Hold your cash, pull your equity out of home with a HELOC, and just be patient.
We are too busy fighting, we cannot take any sound advice!