10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I had a consultation with one of my surgeons a couple days ago, and things seem to be going very well. Now and then I get paranoid when I feel "old pains", but I'm back at work sitting at a desk most day, so some aches is to be expected.

The good news is that it looks like I'm set to be able to start surfing again in the middle of December, sto-ked! :)

A completely anecdotal observation for which I have no data to support my hypothesis (this is the internet after all and we don't need such things as proof):

Because I have been going to the gym for years and made it a part of my life, I think my body heals faster and more fully than than people who live a more sedate lifestyle. I was up and about the very next day after surgery and could walk as long as I wanted to within 3 weeks of the surgery. So while I may carry an extra tube around the belly and don't exactly look like Zyzz Swolebro, the benefits are certainly there when you need them.

Reactions: Havoc

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
A few days ago, I got that unfortunate feeling that my low back became unhinged again and that familiar feeling of an ice pick being jammed in my hip. Everything locked up. My torso was leaning at a 45 degree angle even though it felt like I was standing straight up. Could barely stand up or walk.

A friend of mine does all kinds of things to keep his body in shape. He let me use this laser therapy machine he has: https://www.thorlaser.com/. Boom two sessions and I'm almost back to normal. Usually when this happens its weeks of agonizing pain. The only kicker is these things run $15-40k.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
A few days ago, I got that unfortunate feeling that my low back became unhinged again and that familiar feeling of an ice pick being jammed in my hip. Everything locked up. My torso was leaning at a 45 degree angle even though it felt like I was standing straight up. Could barely stand up or walk.

A friend of mine does all kinds of things to keep his body in shape. He let me use this laser therapy machine he has: https://www.thorlaser.com/. Boom two sessions and I'm almost back to normal. Usually when this happens its weeks of agonizing pain. The only kicker is these things run $15-40k.
The good news is he paid for his placebo device and you get to use it for free.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Seems to be scientific study literature that would say its more than hocus pocus.
I'm going to assume there is exactly zero scientific literature pointing to the efficacy of some silly faux laser device but I'm willing to read it if it exists.

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I only did a quick search earlier and found a few studies showing it had positive results.

Link below the article you posted says it was statistically significant vs. physical therapy:

"Conclusions: The LLLT is proved as an efficient adjunct therapy to conventional physical therapy for discogenic lumbar radiculopathy. "

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
More than just back pain. It's not zero.

Even has positive results with burning mouth syndrome. Have fun with that one:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Nah, more like the first study I linked to, discogenic lumbar radiculopathy
It wasn't a study. It was a third party observation of another parties written material about their observation.

That said...what did it say?

It said two groups, with what is generally referred to as non specific back pain were split evenly. have went through 18 sessions of low level laser therapy while the other went through an unspecified version of physical therapy. There was no noted difference between the two groups, both groups condition improved.

What does this tell us.

In most cases non specific back pain resolves by itself in about 6 weeks and the best accepted practice during this time frame is to be as active as pain allows. I'm guessing this lasted longer than 6 weeks so you could argue that both groups were given therapy that made them equally worse.

Expectations and beliefs are powerful medicine. A lot of times pain is present long after our bodies have healed. Why is that? Because pain bio-psycho-social. Until a person is convinced or convinced themselves that they are not broken or haven't received the treatment that "worked" they will continue to feel pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD and tacos

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Can I just give a big shout-out to spinal fusion here? Hooray for surgery!

Thanks - I'll show myself out now.

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
No need to see yourself out. Zero hyperbole involved when I say, I have been cured. Years of pain, just, gone.
i had mine about 15 years ago - best thing i ever did. fwiw, it took about 2 years for all the leg sciatic nerve tinglies to go away.

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
i had mine about 15 years ago - best thing i ever did. fwiw, it took about 2 years for all the leg sciatic nerve tinglies to go away.

Mine was discectomy 2 years ago, not fusion, but the nerve "tingle" (I wouldn't describe the sensation that way, but yeah), is still there, but lessened. I've noticed a weird sensation in my big toe in the last few months. When I bend it at the right angle, it feels like it's instantly asleep (that I would describe as tingles)

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Never had lower back issues until a little over a year ago. Was sitting on my surfboard after spending about 6 hours in the water for about the third day in a row that day and while sitting I turned and felt a little pop or click. No real pain at that moment but I started tightening up right away. The next day I had a 3 hour drive followed by a 4 hour flight and another hour and a half drive. When I got home I could hardly walk. It took about 8 weeks for that to go away but it did.

Fast forward to about a month ago. A couple of times I've felt that little click pop I mentioned above when turning. I started waking up in the morning with my lower back sore and locked up. By 9:00 in the morning I feel fine but every morning lately I wake up stiff and sore.

Wonder if my workout routine is part of the issue. Probably going to buy a new mattress in hopes that provides some relief. I'm overdue anyway.

I do quite a bit of this at the gym and wonder if this is part of the issue.