Good Wave Twin - Round or Swallow Tail?

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
I have lost a reasonable amount of weight recently so time to update a few boards. Have been surfing swallow tailed twins almost exclusively for a few years now and want something around generously proportioned hpsb dims or maybe slightly longer for when the surf lights up. This board will be my middle board for a G-land trip coming up in September also. This board is for head high plus, points, beach breaks and barrels.

Do I stick with what i know and do another swallow (have a 6'2 swallow that fits the bill that i shaped at my heaviest that is now feeling too bulky to engage the rails and i've been skipping out a bit), or thoughts on a a 4 channel round tail for this purpose? Either way I'm planning 5 fin boxes so it can be ridden as twin, twinzer, or twin plus trailer (fronts in the twinzer boxes) for a bit of versatility when i take it travelling.

critique on the planshapes welcome :)

RP is 6'3 x 20 x 2 5/8
Swallow is 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8

Both flat decks with low rails carrying around 35-36L

Attachments

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I say round. I'm generally more biased towards round tails but especially for good waves. I have a few RT twins and I dig them. Dunno if I would go channels and all the fin boxes but I suppose if you're trying for max versatility it makes some sense.

Reactions: j_mac

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
I say round. I'm generally more biased towards round tails but especially for good waves. I have a few RT twins and I dig them. Dunno if I would go channels and all the fin boxes but I suppose if you're trying for max versatility it makes some sense.
good point. The boxes (apart from trailer) would all be outside of the channels either way I think. Would be a nightmare having them in the channels.
Might have to check that and revise to just a single channel out the middle.

Reactions: j_mac and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That board looks sick. What kind of waves do you surf it in?

but so does the swallow!
the twin goes in waist to well overhead. likes a little push to come alive with that narrow tail. holds a line in the tube very well. gets into waves a bit earlier than my hpsb's and has a little more glide but is otherwise at home in similar conditions. i like the round tail for the smooth rail to rail feel. the rails on this one are fairly HP. has a moderately domed deck and fairly fine foil. thin tail, etc.

that swallow tail is a 6-6, meant for twin+trailer fin setup. it's got a little more of a flat deck and fuller, more down rail. i've had some good sessions on it but it hasn't been as intuitive as the 6-4. maybe just a little more foam in the rails than I prefer or something.

• Love
Reactions: j_mac and toddo

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
good point. The boxes (apart from trailer) would all be outside of the channels either way I think. Would be a nightmare having them in the channels.
Might have to check that and revise to just a single channel out the middle.
See alpha omega and bottom with fin boxes and with glass on see how Malcom changes position of channel not fin placement:shaka:

Last edited:

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Finally got round to shaping this today. I was planning channels, but after i had the outline and foil done it just looked like a spiral V would be a better fit so I went down that route. subtle single up front blending into V at about 18" from tail.

it's 6'3 x 20.25 x 2.62, with a flat deck and pretty low rails. Stringerless VVH EPS with is 2lb/ft density. To be wrapped in a mix of basalt and E-glass.

i'm not going to bother with the fin setup i discussed above - just going twin/twinzer. My preferred twin setup is 6.5" from tail. think i will bump up to 7 to compensate for the round tail and extra length. IMG-20220605-WA0020.jpegIMG-20220605-WA0031.jpeg

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
http://instagr.am/p/CeMYM_iv7Th/

Surfed with Travis Hashimoto yesterday. Griffin will know him Trav used to manage the T&C factory after being a pro surfer in Japan. Trav is working on elevators now and shaping boars on the side, using the knowledge he gained working at T&C and his high level of surfing.

He was surfing a round tail twin like the one I posted. Trav said the bottom is just vee through out and the fins are at 7 1/2 I think. The one he was riding had the fins moved closer to the stringer. Travis was ripping on it. Stands on the tail over the fins and goes ham.