Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Longer boards even with more rocker are going to paddle better-in general. hydrodynamics principle support that. obvioulsy there are exceptions to everything. over the years, none of my short-stubby boards have paddled from point A to B as well as my HPSB. but they certainly plane better once up and riding.
To be clear I’m comparing a 5’9 x 20 x 2.30 to a 5’10 x 19.5 x 2.28

the latter was the better paddler, the former still got into waves better.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Longer boards even with more rocker are going to paddle better-in general. hydrodynamics principle support that. obvioulsy there are exceptions to everything. over the years, none of my short-stubby boards have paddled from point A to B as well as my HPSB. but they certainly plane better once up and riding.
What I said before plus this

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
^I definitely find that it can be difficult to force wide boards down the wave even in small but pitchy conditions, they feel hung up in the lip more so than narrower boards. There was a season at the beach next to my old office that was small but with great shape on the right tide where the GX was the call because it was too quick and steep for proper grovelers, even at 1-2'.
i’ve had this happen as well and totally agree. boar shape needs to fit the wave shape.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Sick. Pretty sleek outline. Almost would have guessed it's a Flare or something, not an Indo Fish. Can't quite make out the dims.

• Love
Reactions: JJMike