Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
past flares i had did not paddle well for their size. prly bc too foiled out. i would go thicker and wider if i ever got another. prly 5'10x20.5x2-5/8 or maybe 5'11 now that im old and suck at surging.
prev ones were 5'10x20.25x2.44 foiled low rail.
Yes. I'm happy I went with 6'0 x20 3/4 2 7/16. Doesn't feel that wide once up and going. I also think the lightness of the varial build helps a bit. It's still really early and today was not a day to review anything. I just know it paddles really well and has instant go. Good start for sure.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Yes. I'm happy I went with 6'0 x20 3/4 2 7/16. Doesn't feel that wide once up and going. I also think the lightness of the varial build helps a bit. It's still really early and today was not a day to review anything. I just know it paddles really well and has instant go. Good start for sure.
my prev ones at 2.44 were like 2-1/16 tomo rails. or 2-1/8" yellowed tomo rails if ur defroster

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What's your height & weight? I'm 6' 165ish and my Flare in those dims is perfect.
fwiw we are about the same size human, my flare is 5’9 x 20 x 2.30 @ 29.5L, iirc.

agree about paddling long treks on the flare -

it gets into waves very easily but a 200yrd paddle back to the peak is some how more tiring than my gx.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
fwiw we are about the same size human, my flare is 5’9 x 20 x 2.30 @ 29.5L, iirc.

agree about paddling long treks on the flare -

it gets into waves very easily but a 200yrd paddle back to the peak is some how more tiring than my gx.
ya the gx paddles really well compared to the flaire but sux in the smaller stuff compare to flaire. kinda weird. but so am i.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I'll be curious to hear what tim has to say about the paddle issue but here's my take:

GX and Flare aren't that far off in width but the nose pulls more on the gx allowing it to slice through the water better. The width on the flare will handle junk better because once at speed it puts more planing surface under your foot.

This morning the waves were standing up pretty good on the takeoff and my buddy was having trouble getting into some cause he was on his puddle jumper. Small mushy waves are great for that but when they stand up the fat nose boards tend to plow.

Idk, I probably have no clue what I'm talking about but those are my thoughts.

Reactions: Havoc

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
^I definitely find that it can be difficult to force wide boards down the wave even in small but pitchy conditions, they feel hung up in the lip more so than narrower boards. There was a season at the beach next to my old office that was small but with great shape on the right tide where the GX was the call because it was too quick and steep for proper grovelers, even at 1-2'.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
When I asked tim about the difference in paddling gx vs flare he kinda laughed it off as a subtle personal choice.

maybe it’s the flat spot in the gx rocker paired with the extra nose flip? I dunno but the gx just goes on plane for me and the flare takes a bit more back arching, if that makes sense.

first thing I noticed on the flare and had a hard time getting over was the general lack of nose flip in the last couple inches.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Longer boards even with more rocker are going to paddle better-in general. hydrodynamics principle support that. obvioulsy there are exceptions to everything. over the years, none of my short-stubby boards have paddled from point A to B as well as my HPSB. but they certainly plane better once up and riding.