Pyzel Mini Ghost

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Pyzel, the original ghost is one of my all time favorites...does the mini ghost carry that same feel down to daily driver conditions-within reason- or is it it's own deal?
It has same rocker as the OG ghost (I know, I've really milked that curve for all it's worth, but it seems to be a good one), so it feels pretty familiar. I really like the bump squash version for a bit of difference.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
It has same rocker as the OG ghost (I know, I've really milked that curve for all it's worth, but it seems to be a good one), so it feels pretty familiar. I really like the bump squash version for a bit of difference.
Thanks John. That did it for me. Just snagged the 5'6" off the varial site. Hope it wasn't sitting there for too long :p

Stocked!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I was able to try a 6-0 Mini Ghost RP for half a dozen waves today. Medium Pyzel Quads. Having owned two ghosts, a shadow, phantom and gremlin, this one felt very familiar right away. I honestly really liked it. First wave i didn't get my foot back enough (no tail pad wtf) and my turns felt off but after that first one I really clicked with it. Got one turn in particular that still has me buzzing.

It was a Bali built custom that the owner had ordered for his recent trip. Having not seen one in person before a few things struck me. The beak nose was more subtle than I expected. Narrower, too. The rails were more "normal" feeling than I was expecting. It didn't really seem to have that flat deck with angular rails like some other similar boards I've ridden. I've got a Rusty Blade and a Stamps Gigglebox, both of which I would put in this same "modern 80's" category. I love both of those boards. They both feel a bit more unorthodox than the MG though. The MG feels like a more fully modern board. If that makes any sense. I didn't get to fondle it overly much but I'm guessing the bottom contours are fairly familiar to the Ghost family. It definitely felt more Ghost like than anything else but with less bogging sensation on a slopey chest high wave.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Would love to run a Mini Ghost vs Pyz2 test day. Average to decent rights, chest hight to just OH. Please :)
There's a DA Pyzalien2 at my local surfshop. Guy rode it once. I think it's 6'1" or 6'2" but I know it has 38 (.something) litres so could be a 6'4". Not sure if he got custom dims. $1200. FYI.

Last edited:

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Finally getting to know my MG. I'm not Aruka, so my experiences / comparisons here are relatively limited in the thruster department. Here's a little interim review after a handfull of sessions.

Me: 5'7" 165lbs, but I tell people I'm 5'8"... who am I kidding?

MG: 5'6" stock squash in venerial

Fins: Started with F6 thruster setup, but board was not feeling right off the bottom (unpredictable, lacking drive, not inspiring confidence), then put AM2s in the front, feels WAY better, probably going to go with an AM1 in the rear next session. I don't think I need a full large-size setup... we'll see.

Ride so far:
holy double concave. never owned a ghost, so new sensation here. I'm used to single concave. or (subtle) double within (deeper) single. first thought it was boaty, but you get over that quickly. Now it just feels normal. Paddles well. Feels great in the few barrels i've ridden, which is like 2 closeouts. enough to say it feels very controllable despite the wide tail. Nice release off the top with my setup, but I might like a little extra drive... still dialing it all in, so could be a commitment issue, could be the bump squash.

Easy board to ride.

Haven't tried it as a quad. Looking forward to it.

Other thoughts:
Kinda funny how, after riding it, I'm like, oh I bet a longer version of this board would be sick. like, longer rail line, rounded pin tail. Oh wait.

Interested to hear how the round tail goes from others.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
With the beak and fuller front third, the 5’10 MG I tried felt much more familiar to me than my 6’1 phantom, so I could see swapping it for MG at some point.

I’m thinking 6’0-6’1 squash but can’t help but imagine a 6’2 roundpin would be fun for HH-OH… and I might actually reach for it more over other boars.

Reactions: j_mac and sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
How sensitive to volume is the mini ghost?

pile it on or keep it lean?
I’m probably not the best judge of pointy-nosed SB these days… but it’s feels fairly full compared to more-foiled Phantom. I think keeping it shorter would be more fun. The 5’10 was fine for me (180-185 lbs) once I was up and riding. Realistically, I’d just prefer a little more foam for paddling

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
How sensitive to volume is the mini ghost?

pile it on or keep it lean?
This is kinda boggling my mind. It's already piled on. So, not sensitive to volume? Do you want to add more via custom order?

Edit: just saw oeste's response. that makes more sense.

Reactions: j_mac

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
This is kinda boggling my mind. It's already piled on. So, not sensitive to volume? Do you want to add more via custom order?

Edit: just saw oeste's response. that makes more sense.
No, I just meant wrt stock sizing. I probs want to be on a 5’9.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
@Pyzelsurfboards statement above, the Mini Ghost has the same rocker as the Ghost. This suggests that the Mini Ghost should work in a lot of different lengths since they will typically be shorter than a Ghost. Is this an appropriate way to think about this board? Granted - thicker and wider.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@Pyzelsurfboards statement above, the Mini Ghost has the same rocker as the Ghost. This suggests that the Mini Ghost should work in a lot of different lengths since they will typically be shorter than a Ghost. Is this an appropriate way to think about this board? Granted - thicker and wider.
That’s pretty much what the dude at Pyzel Oceanside said. Extra foam vs ghost should help get through slower sections of the OH south county reef waves I described to him where the ghost would lose steam.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That’s pretty much what the dude at Pyzel Oceanside said. Extra foam vs ghost should help get through slower sections of the OH south county reef waves I described to him where the ghost would lose steam.
that's certainly what it felt like to me. the waves I surfed the MG in had soft and steep sections and it definitely carried speed through the soft stuff better than a ghost would have.

i would have probably ordered one longer than 6-0 if i hadn't had a chance to try this one out but it didn't feel too short. it felt pretty good in the length dept. maybe i would go a little thinner.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
that's certainly what it felt like to me. the waves I surfed the MG in had soft and steep sections and it definitely carried speed through the soft stuff better than a ghost would have.

i would have probably ordered one longer than 6-0 if i hadn't had a chance to try this one out but it didn't feel too short. it felt pretty good in the length dept. maybe i would go a little thinner.
What did you think of the roundtail? Did you try it as a tri or quad?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
well, I finally committed to the "complete purchase" click - a 5' 6" Varial Mini Ghost squash is on its way to me. Thanks @SixtyGrit for the review.

I have been stuck in analysis paralysis: roundtail versus squash and 5' 6" versus 5' 7".

Though I was strongly leaning toward a 5' 7" roundtail, I have a few boards that I truly enjoy in better waves and didn't need to add another.

I also don't much need a 5' 6" squash either, as I have several boards in the so-called smaller wave/DD category. However, I am interested in the MG's outline/lower volume with potential increases in small wave performance relative to some of my current boards.

I said it before, but I am seriously done YOLOing.

Last edited: