Best foil for beginners, 2022 version?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
has anyone figured a wing setup that makes foiling feel more backfooted like surfing?

I started down the canard wing rabbit hole, but didn't have the time to figure it out.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
has anyone figured a wing setup that makes foiling feel more backfooted like surfing?

I started down the canard wing rabbit hole, but didn't have the time to figure it out.

Armstrong or lift? Really short fuses? What do you want it to feel like? Misterbennets seems to do snappy turns on his Cabrinha stuff.

The most surf feel I've had out of a foil is the lift 150surfv2 with a greengrabber fuse on the shortest setting. It's still a foil that needs to be held down with your front foot on a drop though. The weight balance through turns and hitting white water comes close to a surf feel though.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
What difference does the size of the rear wing make?

Mine is a 425.

It's a stabilizer. Bigger tail wing is more stable. It's also more drag. 425p? That's pretty big. It's nice and solid under your back foot for you. Go to a 350p in a few months and it will liven up your foil. Make it roll rail to rail easier and it will feel faster. To learn, big is good.

Apr 4, 2020

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005

Hey Gshaper, long time no talk. I switched to Lift last fall and it definitely is less front foot and more evenly balanced. Playing with the tails definitely shifts it around. Let me know if you want to try it. We can get Grendel out there too, he has a Lift setup (along with several others) too.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Hey Gshaper, long time no talk. I switched to Lift last fall and it definitely is less front foot and more evenly balanced. Playing with the tails definitely shifts it around. Let me know if you want to try it. We can get Grendel out there too, he has a Lift setup (along with several others) too.
I think I'm going to jump on the Lift bandwagon soon.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I think I'm going to jump on the Lift bandwagon soon.

What brand are you on now? Lift all break, so buy new and they have a great warranty and will just send you out a new wing, you send the old one back (pro tip, keep the wing cover they don't need that back)

So lift tails are all setup with no shim essentially. That's why they're back footed and need to run at the front of the boxes. The new 26 tail has a built in shim and the foils need to be setup a bit back in the box from where the 25 or 34 tails had them.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
What brand are you on now? Lift all break, so buy new and they have a great warranty and will just send you out a new wing, you send the old one back (pro tip, keep the wing cover they don't need that back)

So lift tails are all setup with no shim essentially. That's why they're back footed and need to run at the front of the boxes. The new 26 tail has a built in shim and the foils need to be setup a bit back in the box from where the 25 or 34 tails had them.
old Axis

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
There we go. Try lift. AXIS and gofoil are very front foot heavy. You can shim some of that out of lift. But the new stuff is so much better. If you're at San O, try Califoilia's AXIS ART 1099. That will be less front foot pressure I think just due to the new design.

Lift HA120 or HA90 will be much more back footed. Sig Gamechanger. Unifoil vyper should also be much more backfooted. I don't know Armstrong much, but the 925 would probably be pretty good too.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
No to the s24. Way to old. I can get you a full AXIS demo setup if you really want. My brother has 3 demo sets in his car with multiple demo foil options.

Just use your f-one foils. Also, just keep winging :)

You can prone surf a wing board if it's short enough.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Thanks.

Why too old? What does it matter?

I want to surf, not wing.

And I don't want to put much money into it. I can get the above setup including board for $700.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
How big is your wing board? I would just try to use the board and foil you have.

The S24 is a 1st generation foil. Very heavy. Massive lift paddling into the wave which will buck you off. It works, but I wouldn't use it. If pumping and connecting multiple waves is your goal that foil will not do that without A LOT of effort.

That price with the board included is fair. But you would be better served buying a $700 prone foil board and using your fone's which you are familiar with already. Never ridden F-one foils, but I would put money on them being better than a s24.

If you message Josh at https://www.instagram.com/thefoilshop/ he often has used boards for sale.

EDIT: Foiling is still new enough that you can buy performance in the sport. A 3rd generation foil is worlds better than a 1st generation foil. When foiling was new and 1st generation they wanted to make foils that had super heavy lift at the slowest speeds. When you take that into the surf zone, the wave provides so much power it will launch you up. They also have a very low top speed. So if you get on a high line and run it's terribly hard to not breech. The newer foils have a much more controlled lift and a higher top speed. They are smoother and easier to ride. Plus they pump amazing. Guys who struggled to get 2-1's get on a new foil and immediately connect 4-1's.

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
How big is your wing board? I would just try to use the board and foil you have.

The S24 is a 1st generation foil. Very heavy. Massive lift paddling into the wave which will buck you off. It works, but I wouldn't use it. If pumping and connecting multiple waves is your goal that foil will not do that without A LOT of effort.

That price with the board included is fair. But you would be better served buying a $700 prone foil board and using your fone's which you are familiar with already. Never ridden F-one foils, but I would put money on them being better than a s24.

If you message Josh at https://www.instagram.com/thefoilshop/ he often has used boards for sale.
Thanks.

So, I think you have my confused with somone. I have no wing, no F-one and no nothing foil related.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Thanks.

So, I think you have my confused with somone. I have no wing, no F-one and no nothing foil related.
Oh hahaha you're right. I'm thinking of Sh3. Sorry about that. Old username I'm familiar with seeing and I got confused.

OK, so foiling is not cheap to start. If you fully commit to doing it you will spend that $700 and immediately want to spend $2k more. You're a little further North than I was thinking too. There's a guy up in SLO that foils a lot who could get you demo gear I bet.

No foiling experience, don't get that s24. It won't give you a good view of what foiling is. Up your budget to closer to $1200 and we can get you setup.

Reactions: rice

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Does it matter that I'm 200 lbs?
Yes, it's another reason not to get that foil. It'll be to small for you.

Axis 910b would be good probably. I wrote the guy that's going to college up there. He knows the waves and might have better recommendations than I do. I think he rides an ono swift 175. Which would be great to learn on. Probably out of your price range though.

To learn you're probably looking at a board around the 38 or a bit more liter mark. 4'6"+

Reactions: rice