Any writers here?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Writing is fun. We do a lot of it here, mostly poorly, and pointlessly. The erBB is like an open pickup hockey game for hobby writers. I'm curious if any of you write for work, though. Any pros here? Not specifically novelists, but editors, niche stuff, any type of writing.

Edit: my bad, forgot to include "for your troubles":

Too late, you snooze you lose. Genuine interest thread time

Last edited:
Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I published poetry of the avant garde variety in my 20s. Paid nothing, obviously. Then worked as an editor and writer in various semi-literary capacities (non-fiction and technical). Then high school English teacher at an elite private school in Silicon Valley, which will be fodder for my first novel once I write it. What about you, cheese?

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Just a fan of good writing, trying to grow my understanding of what's out there, who might be doing things that I didn't know were things to be done.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
One of my jobs is writing content for a (somewhat) popular podcast. Easy work that takes very little time; pays well too. Writing is fun. It's like your own personal puzzle that you construct as you go.
Do you write ideas for them to take and run with, or words that they repeat verbatim? Or something different?

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Both scripts and ideas. The scripts never get read verbatim, but it is helpful to have something to look at and base your conversation off of. It helps to avoid awkward pauses. I also ghostwrite the host's articles and website content. Sometimes, he writes some word salad that has some good ideas, but he has no concept of how to form a properly structured sentence or written argument, and a very poor grasp on grammar, whereas I kinda enjoy that stuff. Easy money for very little effort on my part.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Both scripts and ideas. The scripts never get read verbatim, but it is helpful to have something to look at and base your conversation off of. It helps to avoid awkward pauses. I also ghostwrite the host's articles and website content. Sometimes, he writes some word salad that has some good ideas, but he has no concept of how to form a properly structured sentence or written argument, and a very poor grasp on grammar, whereas I kinda enjoy that stuff. Easy money for very little effort on my part.
Wait, it’s not joe rogan, is it?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
That's really cool. I never gave much thought to how many different things writers can be doing, apart from articles and books. New forms of media would require a lot of writing. Fascinating.

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I was gonna mention the Sensual Writer... and that ASCII gas bag Nep