Edge Boards (Andreini/Greenough)

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Not that anyone has chimed in with any experience with an Andreini edge board which is probably to be expected as it's a newer offering from him and his other designs work so well so why would you want to mess witha great thing.
Does anyone have any experience with the power blade fin? I think this is the recommended setup with his Edge but, like my Vaquero, I want to add side bites and wonder if those go with the design.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
You still haven't explained how Skinner owned a ranch in NSW without ever having been there.

Your still reading , when the "Ranch" is mentioned its Bob's

I lived thru all this , did you ever have dinner with McTavish ?

Oh wait , you can just read about it .

Stop attacking those who lived things and go live your life

Reactions: chilly1

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Not that anyone has chimed in with any experience with an Andreini edge board which is probably to be expected as it's a newer offering from him and his other designs work so well so why would you want to mess witha great thing.
Does anyone have any experience with the power blade fin? I think this is the recommended setup with his Edge but, like my Vaquero, I want to add side bites and wonder if those go with the design.
I have a PB fin but have only used it on normal Vaqueros (6’8 and 7’2). I liked it better on the 6’8 (4A on the 7’2 worked best).

It rounded out the turns and makes the tail kind of do a little groovy loosie goosy when trimming from high to low, then sort of sets at the bottom and project you down the line. It’s pretty cool but I’d probably use a 4A at a point break.

Picked up a 7’0 CI Mid (yolo) that I haven’t surfed yet. Going to try it with the CI fins first then try it with the PB. It has side bites, my vaqueros don’t.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Your still reading , when the "Ranch" is mentioned its Bob's

I lived thru all this , did you ever have dinner with McTavish ?

Oh wait , you can just read about it .

Stop attacking those who lived things and go live your life
Nobody is attacking you.

You posted this:

1969 at Bob Skinner's Ranch

Then you went on to say Skinner couldn't travel to OZ due to a drug bust.

You still haven't been able to explain this.

I'm assuming by Bob Skinner you mean the Bob Skinner from Santa Cruz, correct?

He was the owner of the Yamba property above?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I have a PB fin but have only used it on normal Vaqueros (6’8 and 7’2). I liked it better on the 6’8 (4A on the 7’2 worked best).

It rounded out the turns and makes the tail kind of do a little groovy loosie goosy when trimming from high to low, then sort of sets at the bottom and project you down the line. It’s pretty cool but I’d probably use a 4A at a point break.

Picked up a 7’0 CI Mid (yolo) that I haven’t surfed yet. Going to try it with the CI fins first then try it with the PB. It has side bites, my vaqueros don’t.
Thanks and can't wait to hear a comparison. I have a friend who picked up the CI Mid and it's obvious that, while it's not intended to throw tail or anything, it certainly is designed for more of a vertical approach than in comparison the Vaquero is.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Nobody is attacking you.

You posted this:

Then you went on to say Skinner couldn't travel to OZ due to a drug bust.

You still haven't been able to explain this.

I'm assuming by Bob Skinner you mean the Bob Skinner from Santa Cruz, correct?

He was the owner of the Yamba property above?
Your very hostile

Every one needs to prove to you what they say - WHY

Who the friggin Fark are you

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I rode copy of a Greenough power blade as a single in some pitchy 2-3' waves this morning. I also have an actual 8.2 Greenough powerblade to try but it was already in my 7' Outlier which I didn't bring with me to the beach as I knew it was a pitchy wave to be had. It's as Casa noted and I found in the first part of a turn I could feel some slide until the blade engaged and hold was established. Makes sense when you look at the design.
Follows that a pair of sidebites could then help to negate that slide at the first part of a turn in a conventional shape.
The edge board's edge and rails may not need a set of sidebites to reign in that initial looseness in the turn.
IMG_20220312_084016_HDR.jpgIMG_20220310_121727_HDR.jpgIMG_20220310_120626_HDR.jpg

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I rode copy of a Greenough power blade as a single in some pitchy 2-3' waves this morning. I also have an actual 8.2 Greenough powerblade to try but it was already in my 7' Outlier which I didn't bring with me to the beach as I knew it was a pitchy wave to be had. It's as Casa noted and I found in the first part of a turn I could feel some slide until the blade engaged and hold was established. Makes sense when you look at the design.
Follows that a pair of sidebites could then help to negate that slide at the first part of a turn in a conventional shape.
The edge board's edge and rails may not need a set of sidebites to reign in that initial looseness in the turn.
View attachment 125907View attachment 125908View attachment 125909
Thanks, the slide actually sounds fun.
That blue RM board is that the Sunday (real nice!)?

Last edited:

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I'm onto my third Andreini edge board...yes it's a sickness of mine

First one was a 5'8 Bullet edge single fin, it actually popped up in the classifieds here and I snapped it up quick. The PB fin hadn't been released yet so I rode it with a 9.0 Greenough High Speed. At the time a local sandbar was making some nice zippy walls that this board just ate up. I was convinced I needed an edge as a stepup so...

6'6 Vaquero edge, custom. Sold the Bullet as soon as I got the nod this was done and got to pick it up from Kirk Putnam at his home/greenough museum. What a trip to browse through classic Liddle's and have KP tell me a couple stories. Unfortunately, I didn't gel with the Vaquero even after upgrading to the PB fin, just too cruisey of a design for what I wanted it for. Had one memorable session on it though, a 6ft south wind day where the edge absolutely cut through chop to make a bad wave day into a really fun one.

I really missed the 5'8 Bullet and came pretty close to reclaiming it when it popped up on CL, but couldn't put funds together fast enough to snatch it back. Wish I'd never sold it, till a few weeks ago.

Newest addition: 6'4 MP edge with sidebites, this thing goes!! Two sessions so far at San O and really impressed, lots of glide in the flats, turns really tight when there's curve and chews up chop. It's not a shortboard, but I could definitely ride this everyday. I've left the sidebites in so far, but think I'll try the board without them next small day I take it out.

I sold my PB fin with the Vaquero, so I'm back on a Greenough Hi speed for now, gotta show some self control.