*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
snow camping doesn't really do it for me, but pre-caching water and doing a loop or an out and back in the desert is fkn radical
When we took the nieces and nephews to Death Valley for some adventures, I always had to carry 2 gallons of water (plastic milk jugs), in addition to the water everyone carried for themselves (2 liters).

For every hike, I'd stash one at the half way mark and then with the other, would top up everyone's supply when it was time to turn around.

Then I'd say something like, "Ration what you have, we don't know if some animal or jerk hiker got into our back-up supply." The look on their faces was.....well, this is why I joke about me being on my deathbed asking for a drink from one of the nieces/nephews....ooo, the payback is coming.

By the way, the cache was never molested and all nieces and nephews stayed within normal bounds of hydration as far as anyone can prove in a court of law.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
When we took the nieces and nephews to Death Valley for some adventures, I always had to carry 2 gallons of water (plastic milk jugs), in addition to the water everyone carried for themselves (2 liters).

For every hike, I'd stash one at the half way mark and then with the other, would top up everyone's supply when it was time to turn around.

Then I'd say something like, "Ration what you have, we don't know if some animal or jerk hiker got into our back-up supply." The look on their faces was.....well, this is why I joke about me being on my deathbed asking for a drink from one of the nieces/nephews....ooo, the payback is coming.

By the way, the cache was never molested and all nieces and nephews stayed within normal bounds of hydration as far as anyone can prove in a court of law.
Once a year, dad and his buddies would go out to Death Valley in the 70/80's. They would bury a full bottle of Jack Daniels somewhere and then dig it up the following year and drink from the bottle to celebrate another year of life. On their last trip out together, dad kept the final bottle they dug up that was still half full and put it in a glass case in his office. All of them have passed away.

I was always amazed they were able to find the bottle again.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^^ That's what I switched to. It's just a little more time & work than the squeeze bag but I find myself hydrating WAY more than I used to.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
^^ That's what I switched to. It's just a little more time & work than the squeeze bag but I find myself hydrating WAY more than I used to.
have you tried water bottle pockets on the shoulder straps?

it's a game changer

these are popular: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JustinsUL

there are 100 people making them

I am just glug glug glug all day long now

still not a huge fan of drinking straight from filter as I prefer to gulp

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012

it's a game changer

Thanks! That's funny, the SmartWater bottles in most of his pics are exactly what I've used forevers cuz they're slim and fit one in my front pants pocket and 2 in the side pack pocket, and I've got a fookload of them. Maybe it was meant to be. :jamon: and at only $16 it's no big deal if they don't work for me. Bought one today.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks! That's funny, the SmartWater bottles in most of his pics are exactly what I've used forevers cuz they're slim and fit one in my front pants pocket and 2 in the side pack pocket, and I've got a fookload of them. Maybe it was meant to be. :jamon: and at only $16 it's no big deal if they don't work for me. Bought one today.
I also like this approach because it balances the weight front to back

check this sh!t out:

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010

it's a game changer

there are 100 people making them

I am just glug glug glug all day long now

still not a huge fan of drinking straight from filter as I prefer to gulp

Funny I got those exact ones a few years ago. Have held up well FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hard pass. Two smart water bottles in the side pockets and a cup attached to your bag so you can grab it without taking the pack off.

Hydrate A LOT when you get to a water source. Take a half bottle of water with you at all times unless you're about to encounter miles without a water source.

In the Sierras, I do not filter my water.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Once a year, dad and his buddies would go out to Death Valley in the 70/80's. They would bury a full bottle of Jack Daniels somewhere and then dig it up the following year and drink from the bottle to celebrate another year of life. On their last trip out together, dad kept the final bottle they dug up that was still half full and put it in a glass case in his office. All of them have passed away.

I was always amazed they were able to find the bottle again.
Nothing like drinking whiskey in 100 degree heat.

• Haha

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
My pack has a built in, but removable bladder hydration system. The drinking tube clips to the front of the shoulder strap, which is quite nice. I no longer carry a water bottle and only pack one of those cheap and light squeeze bags for around camp.

As for a filter and I have had several over the years, I really like the Platypus especially when backpacking with my family. Easy to use and treats fairly large amounts of water at one time.

Starting to get excited about summer pack trips. We had a ton of late season snow, but its been raining cats and dogs at high elevations so will probably melt off about average time. Probably sticking close to home with gas prices but plenty on offer with in a few hours. Just gotta beat the crowds, which I hope are lighter this season compared to Covid restrictive years.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
My wife is trying to talk me into a 3 day backpacking trip through Desolation late next month. She does some crazy long hikes with her friends, but I've never hiked much at all. Looking forward to it.