Home security cameras - have they helped?

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Multiple Arlo cams around our house in Encinitas thinking it would deter the very common auto thefts and break ins. Didn't do a thing, theives just mask up and wear hoodies and you can't see anything and they know it. See peeps regularly on our cams and neighbors in the middle of the night that know the cams are there and they just cover up so you can't see any facial recognition at all.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I grabbed a few Ring battery operated ones, and a couple that require an outlet, for my laboratory. We kept getting false alarms in the middle of the night, and this is a quick way to decide on sending the police or fire department. Super easy to set up, and inexpensive to store footage remotely.
Please tell us more about the laboratory. This sounds way more fascinating than a security cam.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I've got the 'Cabron' model....

maxresdefault.jpg

My neighbors goats. They scream like children whenever anyone approaches from any direction. They also serve as a "crash cam" for when I'm pulling out blindly onto the street. Always there, if cars are coming, their eyes go huge and drop their jaws in expectation of the imminent collision, if the coast is clear they continue to chew their cud.

:shrug::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Business must be booming right? Too soon?
no but for real are you working on Covid treatments? Like those type of monoclonal antibodies?

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
The Arlo camera picked up this one night while the wifey and I were off at a David Lindley concert...the poor goldens were overmatched but they gave it the old school try. The bear was going for the pears that were under the tree that the camera was attached to.
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.16.57 PM.png

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Multiple Arlo cams around our house in Encinitas thinking it would deter the very common auto thefts and break ins. Didn't do a thing, theives just mask up and wear hoodies and you can't see anything and they know it. See peeps regularly on our cams and neighbors in the middle of the night that know the cams are there and they just cover up so you can't see any facial recognition at all.
You need laser beams and boobie traps.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
The Arlo camera picked up this one night while the wifey and I were off at a David Lindley concert...the poor goldens were overmatched but they gave it the old school try. The bear was going for the pears that were under the tree that the camera was attached to.
View attachment 124552
Oh no! :( poor dogs. I hope they didn't die defending your tree fruit.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I know plenty of people who own property in LA and they all have a few cams up around the house. Apparently neighbors have been getting robbed and friends have too in other parts of the city, regardless of if theres an alarm or a camera. Bold criminals and not much punishment (if any) when they're caught is a bad combo.

As for me, I'm in my 20s so I can't afford a house around here but sometimes when I hear about this sh*t I'm glad I don't have to deal with it

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I would think motion lights would be better coupled with car alarms.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Haha. Car alarms go off all day and night long along the strand in MB. Like, way more often than anything I ever heard in all my years living in the city….Maybe they ARE linked to home sensors and not vehicles? Or is it just that giant pay lot and all the people bumping Into other vehicles? It’s endless to the point of hilarity

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I live on what I call dog sh!t alley. Hundreds of dogs sh!t in front of the pad. I don't get how people can leave it.

I step out of the pad onto the sidewalk and stepped in it on the way to work. I just threw the shoe in the trash. I didn't want to clean

I'm not even down with them shitting and then picking it up.

#outlawdogs :dancing:
yes....I just lost my favorite pair of vans to the same thing

I am having a harder and harder time dealing with the bullshit around here

it's a really dysfunctional place

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
yes....I just lost my favorite pair of vans to the same thing

I am having a harder and harder time dealing with the bullshit around here

it's a really dysfunctional place
I had a little dog when I was a kid and it slept on the bed with me until my dad put it down when I was 18.

I had grown out of having the dog sleeping with me years before but I felt like I couldn't let the old dog down in her old age.

Flash forward 40 years.

I fucking hate dogs.

Or more specially, I hate their selfish owners.

With the the density of the population and the density of dog owner ship, it's the tragedy of the dog sh!t commons.

Happy Saturday. :dancing:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Haha. Car alarms go off all day and night long along the strand in MB. Like, way more often than anything I ever heard in all my years living in the city….Maybe they ARE linked to home sensors and not vehicles? Or is it just that giant pay lot and all the people bumping Into other vehicles? It’s endless to the point of hilarity
It used to be the cars with POS aftermarket alarms that went off all the time.

When I lived in Culvert City there was one in my neighborhood that went off every fucking night until I left a note that said that since you’re concerned with the security of your automobile I thought you’d like to know that if your car alarm keeps going off for no reason I’m going to put a cinder block through your windshield.

Reactions: hammies

Norm'

Duke status
Jan 31, 2003
Lovetron
Business must be booming right? Too soon?
no but for real are you working on Covid treatments? Like those type of monoclonal antibodies?
We're associated with diagnostics. If one of our monoclonal antibodies turned out to be neutralizing, someone could try to "humanize" it, for treatment purposes. But that's not our thing.

Reactions: Subway