East vs. West

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
predominant offshores are W, so you guys definitely have better days more often. Also a wider swell window, I'd say NJ probably has more surfable day per year than NY. And you also aren't trapped on an island bordered by one of the largest cities in the US
[/QUOTE
predominant offshores are W, so you guys definitely have better days more often. Also a wider swell window, I'd say NJ probably has more surfable day per year than NY. And you also aren't trapped on an island bordered by one of the largest cities in the US
It's seasonal. W winds from nov/dec- Jan usually. After that with most fronts that pass through we get N- NW winds on the backside which favor queens/Li. One of the few benefits of queens is that it completely works on a NW wind, whereas lb is dogshit with any w in the wind really. The real benefit of LI is that because of swell direction and angle it is virtually all lefts (not counting out east of course). There are against the grain rights at every spot but really it is all lefts, which is good because as a goofy I hate rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
It seems there is bathymetry off of NJ that really focuses swell so that some locales look way bigger than the same swell elsewhere, so NJ is gooder than other places on the same available energy. Ye must take yens gooder with yenses shitfuckier. That mantra works everywhere, but we need
that philosophical bathymetry here the mostestess ferr sherr.(insert chaka here, and say cowabunga)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
While I’m lmao at u dum dums, he’s right about NJ. Some of those random towns, obviously it’s a long-ish coast, but they might just have a jetty or sandbar 4x bigger than everywhere else, and firing. But 2 blocks in either direction and it’s waist high. And every one of those beach towns has its little moments it seems, if you’re on it and dialed in (which I most certainly am not. there are maybe one or two spots I’ve surfed on their good days which are sort of under the radar) But that drive man, from the belt to staten island and the garden state…. if I didn’t have a fun session, shoot me somewhere between the Verrazano and the old toys r us so, though I may die miserable in godawful traffic, at least I’ve got a pretty view

Last edited:
Reactions: obpmem

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
While I’m lmao at u dum dums, he’s right about NJ. Some of those random towns, obviously it’s a long-ish coast, but they might just have a jetty or sandbar 4x bigger than everywhere else, and firing. But 2 blocks in either direction and it’s waist high. And every one of those beach towns has its little moments it seems, if you’re on it and dialed in (which I most certainly am not. there are maybe one or two spots I’ve surfed on their good days which are sort of under the radar) But that drive man, from the belt to staten island and the garden state…. if I didn’t have a fun session, shoot me somewhere between the Verrazano and the old toys r us so, though I may die miserable in godawful traffic, at least I’ve got a pretty view
2 hrs there, 3 1/2 back every fucking time

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
And it can be Sunday freaking morning in March. Like, where the F are alll of these people going?!

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
That drive is especially bad from LB. Hated it when I lived down there. An hour and a half drive feels like 5.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
that drive has kept me from countless jersey sessions that would have been anywhere from super fun to “pumping” :roflmao: :poke: :foreheadslap:

I've scored my share down there over the years for sure, but like, a few times a year. And I don’t think I’ve done a jersey strike at all (at least one that included surfing) since before Covid

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
that drive has kept me from countless jersey sessions that would have been anywhere from super fun to “pumping” :roflmao: :poke: :foreheadslap:

I've scored my share down there over the years for sure, but like, a few times a year. And I dont
think I’ve done a jersey strike at all (at least one that included surfing) since before Covid
Same deal for NJ crew, used to drive to surf all the time, now hate the traffic so much I stay home and surf sideshore crap.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Holy f--k transplanted New Jerseyan to base: Compared to Cape Hatteras, NEW JERSEY'S SWELL WINDOW FELLATES FARM FAUNA PHALLUS.

Every beach on the East Coast has had a day where the storm was like 60-100 miles away and the winds from the storm or the winds immediately after the storm made it magic as though it has 180 degree swell window. I'm glad Cape May and wherever else hold Northerly windswells well. Cape Hatteras does the same thing with a WSW and NNW.

Maybe we can take some of the rocks you're smoking and get more of Florida's B-grade beachbreak jetty game right.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Holy f--k transplanted New Jerseyan to base: Compared to Cape Hatteras, NEW JERSEY'S SWELL WINDOW FELLATES FARM FAUNA PHALLUS.

Every beach on the East Coast has had a day where the storm was like 60-100 miles away and the winds from the storm or the winds immediately after the storm made it magic as though it has 180 degree swell window. I'm glad Cape May and wherever else hold Northerly windswells well. Cape Hatteras does the same thing with a WSW and NNW.

Maybe we can take some of the rocks you're smoking and get more of Florida's B-grade beachbreak jetty game right.
But have you seen this picture from one of the 15 days a year it's just like pipe

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015

Cape May gets a north swell?
AND I'M THE ONE SMOKIN ROX?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah on some kind of windswell with some North in it there's runners down the beach. How many Newmibia videos does Gravy have to post.

Your swell window is kind of okay compared to Jax Beach, sort of. It fucking blows compared to Hatteras.
This winter Florida has been more consistent than NJ, hopefully we will get some surf more than once every 2 weeks this Spring.