Over 50 and still surfing thread - Old Mans Point.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Do I need vitamins and supplements? No clue, but always willing to learn.
Here's a good article about supplements. One that I took for a while (one bottle) was gloucosamine chondroitin. The article says it's like pissing in the ocean to make it saltier.:roflmao:

I drink coffee every morning, a glass of red wine with dinner, fish/flaxseed oil (MD approved) and creatine.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I'm 52.

Yoga -- I really like the hot yoga for the cardio aspect and I love being all toasty and warm. Taking care of injuries and giving myself the necessary healing time (vs the surf through the pain mentality I've always had) is important, and having the right boards for where I am in life instead of what my ego tells me to ride is crucial. Diet, no alcohol, and staying in motion all help.

That said, for the early I need about an hour to wake up, drink coffee, poo, and stretch before I paddle out. That sh!t's non-negotiable.

Last edited:

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
50's is still young. Keep active, don't get fat, and paddle out as often as you can. I know a few regulars in their late 60's and 70's who still show up on the bigger days. I know a few with hip and knee replacements and rebuilt shoulders who still make it out.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I'm 52.

Yoga -- I really like the hot yoga for the cardio aspect and I love being all toasty and warm. Taking care of injuries and giving myself the necessary healing time helps (vs the surf through the pain mentality I've always had) is important, and having the right boards for where I am in life instead of what my ego tells me to ride is crucial. Diet, no alcohol, and staying in motion all help.

That said, for the early I need about an hour to wake up, drink coffee, poo, and stretch before I paddle out. That sh!t's non-negotiable,.
I'll be 56 this month. Water hours dropped off significantly from 52 - 54 due to several factors. I became disgusted with my performance and conditioning when I did paddle out and decided to get my act back together. Going to hot yoga 2-3 times a week has really helped me regain strength and flexibility. I'm now on the 3-6 days a week program. Due to work I'm relegated to the early shift during the week but it's been great to get back at it. It's nice to get into overhead waves early and not get hung up in the lip and to be able to paddle out after a wave and have enough in the tank to catch another without having to rest. Been surfing with my son and his friends a lot more which has been a lot of fun.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
58. 6'1 x 180 (on the way to 175).

I surf a lot. Anything is good, although big waves on big boards are the best.

I try to keep my head in one piece, mentally. Eat well and not too much. Drink good wine and beer and whisky, but only two days a week, and never enough to get drunk. Do I need vitamins and supplements? No clue, but always willing to learn.

A young wife helps. And a good dog :)
Advice? Try to get an annual check-up with your GP/doc. And for Christ sake, when you get blood drawn for the annual labs, ensure your Doc checks the PSA box so a base line can be established for you/for the rest of your life. I memorialized my bout with prostate cancer 5-6 years ago in the Surf Doc forum. Prompted to share the journey in the forum after one of my staff told me his dad died from prostate cancer but his dad never discussed it with him (signs, option, treatment, etc). Nothing to be frightened about actually but every male will get prostate cancer by the time they are in their 80s as best I can recall from my surgeon. The trick is to detect it early as early as possible. John

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
When you get older you need to not get fat.

Fat is an athleticism killer
Getting fat is not just getting a big belly. Fat also attaches to organs like liver, heart, arteries, veins, etc. The fat will eventually catch up and surely bitch slap your longevity…. I’m 50-60 pounds lighter at 76 than I was in my 50s thanks to a few bitch slaps from my wife.