Rounded pin tail twins

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Paulownia skins with glue applied and then vacuum bagged onto an eps blank.
Click on this thread for a bit more detail.
I don't get the reasoning for his material choices. So he glues the skins on. What glue? There is no better adhesive that I know of than epoxy. Also, instead of glassing his boards he uses marine varnish, which, from my experience working in the boat building industry, is the most toxic, high VOC brew out there. Also, long ago Greg Loehr went over the pros and cons of EPS and XPS and came to the conclusion that EPS was far superior (mostly better "memory").

Lest I sound like McCarthy Kiteboards, I'll say I don't know anything about his builds or how they work. They sure look nice and his craftsmanship looks top notch.:cheers:

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I don't get the reasoning for his material choices. So he glues the skins on. What glue? There is no better adhesive that I know of than epoxy. Also, instead of glassing his boards he uses marine varnish, which, from my experience working in the boat building industry, is the most toxic, high VOC brew out there. Also, long ago Greg Loehr went over the pros and cons of EPS and XPS and came to the conclusion that EPS was far superior (mostly better "memory").

Lest I sound like McCarthy Kiteboards, I'll say I don't know anything about his builds or how they work. They sure look nice and his craftsmanship looks top notch.:cheers:
Don't know what kind of glue he uses.
Hopefully he's sourced a less toxic varnish.
Will possibly ask him next time I catch up but don't want to come across like its the Spanish inquisition as I'm the one who chose the title of my thread about the custom 6'6" rather than him touting anything about his builds.
I requested XPS as he had one block available which he had to move 100's of layers of Paulownia from on top of it to get to. He normally uses EPS.
On a side note that 7'2" I posted a pic of on the previous page is a beautiful board to ride. Cyclone Cody waves inbound so swell will hopefully muscle up for tomorrow AM and keep a few people out of the water and I can get some screamers on it. Asher Pacey twins worked well. Not my lawn.IMG_20220112_083926_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
@SD_Dan u ever get ur Sakal sabre? If so, I’m interested to hear ur thoughts?
Hey, thanks for asking. It is currently in sanding. Should be done very soon. I think both Ryan and Moonlight had a big backlog when I ordered last year. If I remember right you recommended those C drive fins. I was thinking of picking up a set of those.

Reactions: jkb and chilly1

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Anyone give this a go?

felt one up today. flat tail rocker, low long entry. more pulled template than some of the others. felt good under arm. prly better wave mid twin. 6'11 felt money.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Hey, thanks for asking. It is currently in sanding. Should be done very soon. I think both Ryan and Moonlight had a big backlog when I ordered last year. If I remember right you recommended those C drive fins. I was thinking of picking up a set of those.
i was hoping you tried it In the swell last week. I only use c drives in mine. You’ll be stocked soon.

Reactions: SD_Dan

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
i was hoping you tried it In the swell last week. I only use c drives in mine. You’ll be stocked soon.
Haha....I was actually really wishing I had it. One of the bigger days in particular I was on my hybrid shortboard and ended up just paddling around the whole session and missing most of the waves that came my way. I think the Sabre would've worked perfectly that day.

Did you surf your Sabre this past swell? Seems like a perfect option for crowd control and early entry.

Reactions: MathDebater

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Haha....I was actually really wishing I had it. One of the bigger days in particular I was on my hybrid shortboard and ended up just paddling around the whole session and missing most of the waves that came my way. I think the Sabre would've worked perfectly that day.

Did you surf your Sabre this past swell? Seems like a perfect option for crowd control and early entry.
Yeah. I started using it on the bigger reef days last winter when we had 6 weeks straight of swell. At first it was just to compete against a handful of older guys with huge boards from snagging sets. Then I realized how well it worked beyond the paddle power. The pulled in tail makes it work. Even with the rounder nose which I still don’t like looking at. But it works. To keep it real, I’m not vouching for this boar above pt conception.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Yeah. I started using it on the bigger reef days last winter when we had 6 weeks straight of swell. At first it was just to compete against a handful of older guys with huge boards from snagging sets. Then I realized how well it worked beyond the paddle power. The pulled in tail makes it work. Even with the rounder nose which I still don’t like looking at. But it works. To keep it real, I’m not vouching for this boar above pt conception.
Why not above Pt Conception, too hard to duck?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Slightly lifted front rail going to downrail

Very slight tri plane bottom going to Vee

Double concave thru the fin area

Very slight and narrow concave in the center of the tri plane

Most of the best shapers used variations of this bottom for 15+ years

R. Shaped Occy thrusters with bladed "sharp" rail starting at fin area going to tail:shaka: I had Dave Johnson shape all my boards like this during 80's early 90s.