Winter storm brings some waves to the east coast

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
twice as old but surfed half as much, lack of water time makes a man salty and bitter. hard to keep the stoke alive when you don't see decent waves more than a handful of times per year.
not hard at all. We all make choices.

back to the matter at hand, lets see some more photos /vids of this swell.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Ben Gravy calling biggest ever! Commenters are calling 20ft :foreheadslap:
With all due respect to Gravy and the commenters calling it 20 feet or biggest ever......... Big day for sure. Once in 10 years kind of day perhaps. This swell was also particularly raw and unruly. Plenty of us 50+ clubbers remember bigger days. I'm sure the Surfer mag archives have the goods to prove it. Guys like Scotty Duerr surfed every big swell back in the film and magazine days I remember shots of him and others running in the magazines long before Gravy was born. Even more recently clips have been out there of guys like Hammer, Humphries and Gleeson charging mutants at home.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I mean, I don’t want to agree just out of spite or jealousy, but yeah, with that wind and that beach, that wave more than likely shut down hard

have also surfed plenty of waves that size over my lifetime on Long Island. Rare, but every few to several years, whether tropical or winter coastal low. It happens.

Reactions: mundus

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
This looks like vid of that wave- pic posted looks like it could even be a frame grab.

solid, but TBH Seems I remember plenty of days similar size/energy; pretty much every winter on LI- pre Surfline, cellphone, top knots n adult learners.

Reactions: GromsDad

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
yesterday was pretty heavy. Once in every 3ish year swell. I got rejected paddling out thrice and made 3 out of 8 waves.

i don’t know if it’s memory or what but I do feel 25 years ago these type of storms were like a 1-2 per year event. Kinda miss it. Humbling being rejected and not making waves.

today was just fun waist to nipple high in the mid afternoon.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
2014 through 2017 seemed pretty consistent. Been a lackluster few years and not just cause of corona

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Some fun but challenging surf to be had. looks like Jersey went off.
sorry to bring you guys back from the political forum, as you were.

View attachment 122659

some very strong offshores led to a little challenging condition here but got some fun ones in. water is cold but not too bad.

sorry if this is a repost. (picture from surfline, please credit to them)
Far from biggest.
Wind made it weak.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
So effeminate with your petty little gotchas, probably keep a list for future use.
the cattiness of all the women he works with has a rub off effect, you can't fault a person's lack of awareness due to their poor environment, ignorance really is bliss sometimes :LOL:

Reactions: mundus

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
It was waist high and drifty here by the time I got a chance to surf. OBX (and hour or so south) was overhead and stomping. I kept finding reasons not to paddle out.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Firing here Sunday, and I don't think firing applies often. Strangely I thought my two photos in the 2022 surf journal thread were better than anything on 911surfreport, and they normally stand there all day.

Long period ENE x SSE blowout x offshores = funtimes. That it was on a sunny Sunday was just a gift.

Shitload of spray in the face/blind drops. Like basically every one. One of those where I talk about it, and people are all, did you get choobed? And I'm all, some for sure, maybe some more? There were a couple I had no fggn idear what happened between paddling for it and kickout.

IMHO the best thing about swells like this is it's good everywhere. Find beach. Paddle out. Good waves.

I'd been complaining about our lack of rights-up-the-beach one-and-dones. She serves me what I asked for with an extremely helpful serving of ENE with some period on it to bump up the size and length of line.