The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Sorry I know i posted this before but if you're goong to charge a premium for a good wetsuit at least design a website that explains the product and price. And why are you hanging your suits by the shoulders?

how long does this velcro last?
Japanese wetsuit manufacturers develop their websites for the Japanese market. The US market is probably pretty low on the list when it comes to sales, hence the piecemeal mishmash of webpages in broken English. It's tough to navigate but usually best to talk to their US reps instead and have them send you pics.

I had a velcro entry on a different Japanese brand suit and that one lasted 5 seasons. Velcro was still functional.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@Swallow Tail
from Feral's site
The main difference is in the elongation properties—#40 is stretchier than #39—but it's also worth noting that #40 is slightly heavier than #39. We only use #40 rubber in the upper body because when we tested the suits that was the only place we noticed the stretch, and there's no reason to make a heavier suit just because 100 percent #40 Yamamoto sounds good for marketing purposes.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
it does. But I’m curious as to specifically who uses what type of rubber that’s superior to Yamamoto 39 &/or 40 - Casa has stated that some suits coming out of Japan do so - I believe; so would be great to know suit manufacturer names and neoprene manufacturer as well.

@Swallow Tail
from Feral's site
The main difference is in the elongation properties—#40 is stretchier than #39—but it's also worth noting that #40 is slightly heavier than #39. We only use #40 rubber in the upper body because when we tested the suits that was the only place we noticed the stretch, and there's no reason to make a heavier suit just because 100 percent #40 Yamamoto sounds good for marketing purposes.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
it does. But I’m curious as to specifically who uses what type of rubber that’s superior to Yamamoto 39 &/or 40 - Casa has stated that some suits coming out of Japan do so - I believe; so would be great to know suit manufacturer names and neoprene manufacturer as well.
There's multiple materials and formulas for neoprene.

It's all going to come down to what you prefer in terms of warmth, thickness, and flexibility.

There's a large variety of neoprene that's manufactured in Japan and elsewhere.

Many of the Japanese companys use particular formulas with their suits and stick with it. They're not giving out a brand/manufacturer name.

A lot of team rider wetsuits are made by Axxe and Toshi's Marine. Neither are using Yamamoto.

A pretty big variety of liners and jersey is made in Japan too: https://www.nankaigosen.com/

Yamamoto seems to be the Sheico of Japan as far as neoprene manufacturing and of course sounds great for marketing purposes.

Boz was using Yamamoto before anyone in the USA or OZ had even heard of it.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Glue and stitching matter much more.
You can have great glue and stitching but if the fit is poor it's going to stress both the stitching and the neoprene.

Overstretching and stress wears the neoprene thin -> less warm -> eventual permeability.

Poor fit usually affects the shoulders the most, wearing them thin.

Glue and stitching can be shitty from the start, leaking from the moment the suit hits the water but if the fit is good it can be fixed.

If it's leaky all over your suit is just a piece of sh!t.

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
O'Neill Psychotech hooded 5/4 first impressions:
Bought this suit over the summer fearing supply chain issues and took it for a first surf today. Not a particularly cold day, not too much wind, not too big. 35 degrees out, 10-15 mph wind and mid 40's water temps and a bit of snow flurries with waist high surf.

I've been surfing in Xcel Drylocks for probably 15+ years. Was getting tired of the increasingly poor craftsmanship on them The new suit is definitely lighter and super comfy to paddle in but I have to say it's not nearly as warm as a Drylock. I got cold after about an hour and a half and even just walking down the beach to the break, I could tell it's just not as warm of a suit. The flexibility comes with a price.

Kinda disappointed for $500 (no deals on O'neils) , but still a winner for flex and ease of entry/exit. Just not the warmth I was hoping for. Will probably be my warmish winter day suit. Probably great with water temps in the high 40s and some sun out just not the freezing offshore nor'easter suit I was hoping for. Next time maybe a 6/5 from someone as the 5/4 O'Neill feels like a 4/3 Xcel. Glad I still have a relatively new Drylock in the closet. The seams leak a bit in the balls but it's still overall warmer in the upper body.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
it’s shocking - the utter garbage these wetsuit brands are putting out.
The big brand target wetsuit market = Wavestorm types and people who treat their stuff like garbage.

Drive around any coastal area of CA that's heavily populated with under 30s and see how many wetsuits are laying over a railing drying in the sun.

A lot of those wetsuits stay there 24/7 for weeks.

There's no incentive for the big manufacturers to produce a really good product.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If it's leaky all over your suit is just a piece of sh!t.
This. The tape is delaminating around the legs. The seams are leaky everywhere. The glue is just awful. I bought some more glue but now I need to glue almost the whole thing. Interestingly, the stitched budget suit I got from the same brand has held up fine for over two years.

What type of glue does Cyber use? It better be rocket fuel. I'm planning on ordering a 3/2 with a hood.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Some sort of glue that's not available in the USA + a stitch that is more labor intensive.

I've never had one of their suits leak.
I emailed them last year and they didn't email me back. Maybe there were too many adult learners trying to order during the great supply chain crunch which hasn't ended.

I'm going to drive up there and get measured. It's all about onshore production. :jamon:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I emailed them last year and they didn't email me back. Maybe there were too many adult learners trying to order during the great supply chain crunch which hasn't ended.

I'm going to drive up there and get measured. It's all about onshore production. :jamon:
Try sending them a text