stretch boards support and board pron thread

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I wonder if it's much different than a 5150+ with 5 fin boxes? My 5150+ tail is narrower than my 2win tail. The 2win is 5'8 and 5150+ is 6'3. It felt kinda weird running it as a quad, but waves were small and weak so I couldn't get much drive out of it and not much face to work with. It paddles great though. I debated running it as a 2+1 instead, but I was like I'll just get used to it so when I return to norcal it's not a big surprise in more critical surf. Keep in mind the 5150 doesn't have much concave if any. Most of my stretch boards have double to single or just a deep single. I think it takes some getting used to.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I wonder if it's much different than a 5150+ with 5 fin boxes? My 5150+ tail is narrower than my 2win tail. The 2win is 5'8 and 5150+ is 6'3. It felt kinda weird running it as a quad, but waves were small and weak so I couldn't get much drive out of it and not much face to work with. It paddles great though. I debated running it as a 2+1 instead, but I was like I'll just get used to it so when I return to norcal it's not a big surprise in more critical surf. Keep in mind the 5150 doesn't have much concave if any. Most of my stretch boards have double to single or just a deep single. I think it takes some getting used to.
I was wondering if 5150 tail was as pulled in as it looks or only illusion due to parallel rails. I ordered my 5150 to ride as twin but Dylan added rear boxes. Hoping twin set up well be butter for drive and speed on waves waist to head high.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Watching that clip one could be forgiven for thinking if that board wasn't the characteristic Stretch vibrant colours to the casual observer that guy could be mistaken to be riding an early Tomo mph. You know like if you squint a bit while watching so your focus on the exact board shape is a bit blurry. ;)

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I've got a tomo vanguard. It's significantly different. The tomo has a slight channel in the nose and no reverse channels out the back, but a regular deep channel in the middle, i think he calls it quad concave. I don't think there has been anything similar since the original greenough edge board. I think that was kind of the inspiration where you have a flat tail out the back for max planing speed in the flats, but when you turn on rail it acts like an edge board and turns faster.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I've got a tomo vanguard. It's significantly different. The tomo has a slight channel in the nose and no reverse channels out the back, but a regular deep channel in the middle, i think he calls it quad concave. I don't think there has been anything similar since the original greenough edge board. I think that was kind of the inspiration where you have a flat tail out the back for max planing speed in the flats, but when you turn on rail it acts like an edge board and turns faster.
I was referring to the lines being drawn on the wave as much as the rough outline.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Probably, I liked my old tomo, but I haven't tested the 5150 yet in more juicy waves. I think what I like about this concept is you can go thicker because of the sk8 deck, but still maintain high performance because the rails are turned down and the reverse channel lets it turn quicker. My board is 34L, but it looks thick and paddles pretty well. My old tomo was 42L because i was more of a fat ass then, however as I get older I don't mind adding even more volume. It's all about where the volume is placed, like if its thick down the middle with sk8 deck and thin on the rails then theoretically you have the best of both worlds. I let my friend borrow it in mushy small waves and he weighs about 120lbs and rides normally a 25L board. He was landing air reverses easier than his normal daily driver.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Probably, I liked my old tomo, but I haven't tested the 5150 yet in more juicy waves. I think what I like about this concept is you can go thicker because of the sk8 deck, but still maintain high performance because the rails are turned down and the reverse channel lets it turn quicker. My board is 34L, but it looks thick and paddles pretty well. My old tomo was 42L because i was more of a fat ass then, however as I get older I don't mind adding even more volume. It's all about where the volume is placed, like if its thick down the middle with sk8 deck and thin on the rails then theoretically you have the best of both worlds. I let my friend borrow it in mushy small waves and he weighs about 120lbs and rides normally a 25L board. He was landing air reverses easier than his normal daily driver.
I think you go 1/4" thinner with sk8 deck or a least that is what Dylan and Stretch told me:shrug: Currently have two with sk8: gbuzz 5'2" x20.25' x 2.375" went thick for grovel and buzzsaw very foiled at 2.18" good wave board step up to superbuzz. I wanted to go sk8 on my 2x4 step up but Stretch said no and talked me out but sure wish sk8 was around when I got my superbuzz. My 5150 looking for low end non grovel but wanted float so went 2.25" I think at 5'6" x19" Dylan told me its close to 30 liters.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I forgot to ask how your 5150 is glassed? I forget who maybe you :foreheadslap: has 4/4 4 light schedule and said they could see wear and tear on deck heel marks more. I asked Dylan if I would notice much difference performance etc if I went same as CFT medium and he said no. I went with what I know same as CFT medium 6/4 4 eglass then s glass other direction:shaka: hoping for similiar feel when I get my 5150 since it well be 1st stringerless and used to single to double on all my boards.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I forgot to ask how your 5150 is glassed? I forget who maybe you :foreheadslap: has 4/4 4 light schedule and said they could see wear and tear on deck heel marks more. I asked Dylan if I would notice much difference performance etc if I went same as CFT medium and he said no. I went with what I know same as CFT medium 6/4 4 eglass then s glass other direction:shaka: hoping for similiar feel when I get my 5150 since it well be 1st stringerless and used to single to double on all my boards.
I weigh close to 200lbs and my 2win is also DFT. I can barely notice deck heel marks and it's a couple years old now. The 5150 is 6/4 on the deck and 4/4 on the bottom. It looks well built like all stretch boards. I'm sure it will last a long time.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I like the stretch st-1 quad futures on my superbuzz. But, all of those fancy tech fins are getting too expensive and they chip if you hit reef. I like the cheapo alphas too for the price and durability. I'm becoming less and less of a fin snob as I get older and accept the fact most of my bad surf sessions are because of LOFT, lack of fucking talent.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
looking for fin recommendations.
I’ve ridden it as a quad w/Merrick’s, & H4’s (both medium). The board felt a bit too loose with the H4’s. Felt ok w/Merrick’s, but a bit flat. Any other suggestions? Maybe as a tri-fin?
FU#2 I have 5 fin set but only run as quad in superbuzz, buzzsaw, and 2x4 step up:cheers:

Reactions: Spinktopus