XTR

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Fahk! Is that a twin fin? Surprised it's ripping through the rail which should be triple layered.
One of the other members was having those same issues, said the dowels inserted into the box for extra support helped from damaging in the same way

Jul 4, 2021
Did you use rubbing alcohol or wax cleaner on it?
Nope, just an old credit card to get wax off. I’m getting pretty sold on the idea that it’s a pressure dent or just sanding.

It would give a bit when pressed if it was delaminating right?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Nope, just an old credit card to get wax off. I’m getting pretty sold on the idea that it’s a pressure dent or just sanding.

It would give a bit when pressed if it was delaminating right?
Sometimes, if it is super fresh it might not give much.
Usually the Delams I have had were after some period of time, not a relatively new stick
I had it happen on where I duck dive w my hand and under tail pad on toe side but this was 10 years ago and after a year of heavy use

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
The one off the fin looks exactly like a sand through. You can see the weave. That said, it's an XTR board so the effect is minimal if any. Still, as has been said many times over the last 2 pages - send the pictures to Javier or Shey and ask if they can help. DO IT. What have you got to lose? They're super nice and likely will make you happier with your situation.

Reactions: jkb and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Welp, this isn't a sand-through.
Board is like 1yr old.

I really, really don't want to repair this myself, and advice to "just ride it" from my repair guy prior to the crack extending over the rail hasn't served me well.

Take it to xtr? Go back to my guy? Do it myself? Keep riding it? Thoughts on manufacturing causes?

P.S. the crack from the box that extends over the rail formed after a single surf in small conditions. I'd like to believe I rip super hard, but let's just say my FS bottom turn is proficient, and leave it at that.
Holy sh!t! That's not good.

I would take it to Beach House Ding Repair (Mike Mc Bride) in Oceanside. He's one street over from XTR (271 Roymar Rd Suite A, Oceanside, CA 92058). Tel.: (949) 533-0967. He does EXCEPTIONAL work. He is a master craftsman and guarantee's his work. https://www.instagram.com/beachhouse_ding_repair/?hl=en

He is honest too, and will tell you if its a defect from the blank/glassing.

Although from the photos it looks like maybe you landed on the fin box or something.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Holy sh!t! That's not good.

I would take it to Beach House Ding Repair (Mike Mc Bride) in Oceanside. He's one street over from XTR (271 Roymar Rd Suite A, Oceanside, CA 92058). Tel.: (949) 533-0967. He does EXCEPTIONAL work. He is a master craftsman and guarantee's his work. https://www.instagram.com/beachhouse_ding_repair/?hl=en

He is honest too, and will tell you if its a defect from the blank/glassing.

Although from the photos it looks like maybe you landed on the fin box or something.
Thanks for the reco!

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
X2. Guys at album/Varial told me to go to mike because I had a chip on the hard edge of the rail no one could get right. I’ll never go anyone else now. Beach house ding = the best
Mike does some incredible repairs. Any major repairs always go to him!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think the Tomos move through fastersince I think XTR does everything in house. Could be wrong but that’s my guess.
+1
I was told this a few months ago when asking about turnaround on a Hydrodynamica Tomo (CyberSim), before I got Dongers old one

Apr 11, 2021
Any of you guys ever order a board in XTR without the carbon, meaning straight stringerless or with a wood stringer, no frills added? If so, how did you like the feel?

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Any of you guys ever order a board in XTR without the carbon, meaning straight stringerless or with a wood stringer, no frills added? If so, how did you like the feel?

I've ordered a lot of boards from them and all mine have been wood stringers. They work well for me and feel great. Wood stringer with 8.c is my go to.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
what do they call the "flex factor" on those ones?
The last few I've gotten has had the flex listed at 2. The older ones before that had ratings of 3 or 4. They all still felt the same though so I take that rating with a grain of salt. Makes me wonder how they are coming up with those numbers. 8.c/wood stringer feels a little lighter than a pu board to me with a similar flex feel but a bit more spring overall.

Reactions: Ttboi and jkb

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Also found some older pics. Looking at some of my really old ones without that flex rating listed. That must of got incorporated later on some time. This one was from 2009. They used to do a temperature sticker on top the tail. Underside just had their logo.

Attachments

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
8.c/wood stringer feels a little lighter than a pu board to me with a similar flex feel but a bit more spring overall.
+1 I have had a few of these and I think that's a fair assessment of stringered XTR. More buoyant too. I can go a touch less volume (0.5-1.5L) in XTR foam and get the same float.
A stingerless build with no carbon obviously will have more spring, but to me it's still fairly subtle. I like them in smaller waves and shorter stubbier boars (tomo and minisim) under 5'8. But I know many think it's BS.
Edit: I'd agree the flex value is not exactly a scientific data value- more like a guesstimate to give you an idea of what to expect. LOL You know, like Futurds' infamous Ride Number!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2003
North East
Also found some older pics. Looking at some of my really old ones without that flex rating listed. That must of got incorporated later on some time. This one was from 2009. They used to do a temperature sticker on top the tail. Underside just had their logo.
SDII was such a great board, especially when coming off rockered out chips!!!

And the temperature sticker nostalgia - always reminded me of an aquarium thermometer!