*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No idea about accessibility for Americans with the current Covid situation but I read a headline about how Chamonix is getting creamed cause britons are currently not allowed in France and they represent the vast majority of their seasonal tourism. IF you can get into France you may get lucky with vacancies and decent rates. No idea what the current USD -> EUR exchange is. Haven’t looked since the beginning of the pandemic. On a more distant adventurous note I’ve heard of good powder expeditions to Kosovo. But frankly from what I know of your abilities I don’t know that I’d spend that much or travel that far to ski or board if I were you. The bunny slope is the same wherever you go.
Asking only because I may be in Europe for most of Feb, would like to do a little skiing.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
St. Anton. Not at all cheap but accessibility is tops - the bahnhof is across the street from the main lift station and every train between Zurich and Vienna stops there. And the place is giagantic. Think 4 or 5 Mammoths spread out over 20 miles, all interconnected. It would take weeks to ski every piste and skiroute.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Asking only because I may be in Europe for most of Feb, would like to do a little skiing.
In that case where will you be? I’d base it on location over terrain. You don’t need much if you’re a beginner/intermediate. You’ll find some serious terrain in the Alps that will outclass you. It’d be like me going to the north shore in the winter for a surf trip. You can rent almost everything as long as you pack baselayers and outerwear.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In that case where will you be? I’d base it on location over terrain. You don’t need much if you’re a beginner/intermediate. You’ll find some serious terrain in the Alps that will outclass you. It’d be like me going to the north shore in the winter for a surf trip. You can rent almost everything as long as you pack baselayers and outerwear.
Spain is the easiest country to access right now.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Spain is the easiest country to access right now.
Spain isn’t quite as well regarded as a ski destination compared to Switzerland, Italy and France but I’m sure there is more than ample terrain for you.

Maybe look here…

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Spain isn’t quite as well regarded as a ski destination compared to Switzerland, Italy and France but I’m sure there is more than ample terrain for you.

Maybe look here…

Yeah was looking there. 4 hours from Bilbao not too bad.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010

Maybe look here…

to be fair there's probably enough terrain in the Pyrenees for just about anyone. Sierra Nevada down by Grenada could be a cool option too, especially if you're looking for cruising groomers in nice weather

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Yes, non-immigrant non-foreigners are never lacking self-awarenes and common courtesy.

I also like how immigrants are just “visitors”.

Way to ruin your nice first post. Sheesh dickhead.
Pretty sure this isn't your first screen name here, is it? That explains a lot.

Not all immigrants are visitors, nowhere did I say that. I'm saying the many that are visiting, dont seem to have any modicum of respect for the local culture or common courtesies. They want to act and operate like they would in their local, and thats not okay. I don't go to Mexico, or even Hawaii, and operate the same as I do back home. It's just life and common sense. Be aware of your surroundings and what is generally acceptable where you are. The people I am referring to from this trip had none of this. Not saying many Americans don't have the same problem, just stating the fact that the people I saw being disrespectful on this trip were immigrant foreigners.

Truth be told, you've got me on a technicality... that is an "immigrant" is really someone who has come to live in another country permanently, so please insert another term as you see fit. The bottom line is they were clearly visitors from another country who had no interest in respecting the local rules or culture.

Last edited:

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Kirkwood on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday had some mist/ice crust on a lot of the mountain. Groomers were downright scary first thing in the morning. People took some long falls. I took one run on Chair 6 then bailed to Chair 11, which had way better snow, to wait for the sun to soften things up. It definitely got better once it warmed up. The Wall was okay, the backside sucked, but I had a good time just cruising around checking out how everything filled in over the past week. Watched a lot of chaos on Zachary's in the morning. Helped one guy who had lost both of his skies. I was able to stop of them from torpedoing down the mountain, then he started sliding and he used me as an anchor to stop himself. He obviously should NOT have been on that run, as he couldn't even figure out how to get his one ski back on, nor navigate down the hill 50 yards to his other ski, which had been caught by somebody else. I went on the same chair two more times in a row and he was still struggling to make it down the top half of the mountain.

Yesterday had an awesome half day with my Dad. Snow was in much better condition, groomers were a blast, had a quick lunch and made it home by 5.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
And now for the not so politically correct rant... Immigrant foreigners who have a complete lack of self awareness and no common courtesy as visitors here... We had an asian couple double load behind us on a lift and practically push us off the platform... luckily there was room so we scrambled to move over as the liftie yelled at them to pay attention and follow the rules.... when they didnt even acknowledge the liftie he said "HEY, YOU NEED TO ACKNOWLEDGE WHAT I AM SAYING TO YOU RIGHT NOW" so you can tell he was fed up with these people who cant communicate or follow basic rules. The couple didn't offer us any apologies or even say a word to us once on the lift either, although one of them did mutter a few words in english so it was apparent they could have it they had any sort of consciousness!??

The real blow out was when we got back to the Gondola... no resort employees anywhere to be found trying to regulate the line, and they hadnt strung up any ropes either so it was basically a huge mob trying to funnel into a few gates that lead to the stairs going up to the Gondola building.... It was already tense enough in the 20* temps and wind and disorganized state, but of course another group of foreigners had to make a scene... pretty sure they were Brazilians as they were speaking words in spanish but some of that crosses over to their native language so who knows... they looked like Brazzo's, and were right behind us in line yelling at the top of their lungs... How long would any of you let someone stand directly behind you and yell over and over and over again in public before you told them to STFU and go look for whoever they needed to find!? So we gathered that this group / family was looking for someone else in their party, and the main ringleader dude was out next to the line walking back and forth yelling things, a complete sideshow for everyone who was already annoyed at the situation.... Well apparently they finally found the person they were looking for and tried to cut back in line... someone wasn't having it and we turn around to some heavy commotion and they break out beside the ling and start dancing..... punches being thrown as a couple of the Brazzo's ganged up one one dude who had obviously had enough of their behavior and shoved them out... The main ring leader was emotionally hysterical, spitting as he yelled "WE HAVR CHILDREN.... WE HAVE CHILDREN".... Just then a lady next to me yelled back "we all have children here, it doesn't mean you get to cut in line".

Honestly, the whole experience kind of broke me on going out for the busy holiday weekends at these resorts... some are worse than others, but Heavenly may very well be at the top of the sh*t show list from everyone I talk to. You want to be easy going and allow everyone to enjoy, but when there is a total lack of self awareness and common courtesy from people who don't even try to understand their audience and culture they are operating in, it pisses me off to the point where I want to become that angry regulator who puts them in their place..... yet even if you do that, they will never learn, it will only make many people look at you like you are the jerk...????????..........

Rant over.

I'll tell a story from the other side of the fence.

Many years ago (what am I saying, decades ago) I was skiing in Grenoble, France with two American girls. At a certain point we arrive at a ski lift and there is no line. None of us spoke French so we asked the operators in English, "Can we get on?" They didn't understand, so we spoke very slowly, "Can- we- ride- the- lift- up?" They still didn't understand. They replied something in French, which we could not understand. They even repeated it very slowly so we could understand, but we couldn't. So we gestured to the chairs going by. "Oui or no?" Exasperated, the the operators said, "Oui!" So we got on.

The chair went up and at a certain it was snowing. It started snowing harder and harder, and then the wind kicked in. At about that moment the lift starting going REALLY SLOW. I mean really slow. It took over 30 minutes to finish the second half of the ride. Full blizzard and we were creeping along, fully exposed.

Gee, I wonder what they were trying to tell us? At least I got to cuddle with the two ladies.

ps American exceptionalist tourists are the worst.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: $kully

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Pretty sure this isn't your first screen name here, is it? That explains a lot.

Not all immigrants are visitors, nowhere did I say that. I'm saying the many that are visiting, dont seem to have any modicum of respect for the local culture or common courtesies. They want to act and operate like they would in their local, and thats not okay. I don't go to Mexico, or even Hawaii, and operate the same as I do back home. It's just life and common sense. Be aware of your surroundings and what is generally acceptable where you are. The people I am referring to from this trip had none of this. Not saying many Americans don't have the same problem, just stating the fact that the people I saw being disrespectful on this trip were immigrant foreigners.

Truth be told, you've got me on a technicality... that is an "immigrant" is really someone who has come to live in another country permanently, so please insert another term as you see fit. The bottom line is they were clearly visitors from another country who had no interest in respecting the local rules or culture.
So all Americans behaved impecably?

When you talk about people who dont have common courtesy, do you always bring their ethnicity into conversation? If so, why?

It was not a "technicality", it was a xenophobic rant and it wasn't the first time.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Any thoughts on where the cheapest, most accessible resorts are in Western Europe?
I've been to a few ski resorts in Europe- Chamonix, Grenoble, St, Anton, Kitzbuhel, Stubaier Glacier, Cervinia, Abetone, Selva (Val Gardena).

Switzerland was the most expensive, by far. Italy was the least but this was back when they used lira. Kitzbuhel is huge. Cervinia too. If I had to go back I'd choose Kitzbuhel for the skiing or Val Gardena for the environment (and food, Austrian food is not my favorite).

Do you mean accessible from hotel to lift? Or from major city to resort?

Last edited:
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I've been to a few ski resorts in Europe- Chamonix, Grenoble, St, Anton, Kitzbuhel, Stunaier Glacier, Cervinia, Abetone, Selva (Val Gardena).

Switzerland was the most expensive, by far. Italy was the least but this was back when they used lira. Kitzbuhel is huge. Cervinia too. If I had to go back I'd choose Kitzbuhel for the skiing or Val Gardena for the environment (and food, Austrian food is not my favorite).

Do you mean accessible from hotel to lift? Or from major city to resort?
Whats crazy about the Alps is that there are hundreds of resorts between those big names, that have amazing snow and terrain.
Spent a lot of time in my teenage years in Schladming-Dachstein, it was cheap and accessible and had 4 mountains and a frickin glacier and nobody probably ever heard of it.

1641580623814.jpeg

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Whats crazy about the Alps is that there are hundreds of resorts between those big names, that have amazing snow and terrain.
Spent a lot of time in my teenage years in Schladming-Dachstein, it was cheap and accessible and had 4 mountains and a frickin glacier and nobody probably ever heard of it.

View attachment 122012
good lord that looks like heaven

• Love

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

View attachment 122012
I think of lot of the places there link up to other places. Kitzbuhel seemed like a bunch of resorts strung out, so did the places in Val Gardena. I forgot which place it was but I remember skiing out of a resort and into the next one over. I had to take a bus back to the original spot.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The real blow out was when we got back to the Gondola... no resort employees anywhere to be found trying to regulate the line, and they hadnt strung up any ropes either so it was basically a huge mob trying to funnel into a few gates that lead to the stairs going up to the Gondola building.... It was already tense enough in the 20* temps and wind and disorganized state, but of course another group of foreigners had to make a scene... pretty sure they were Brazilians as they were speaking words in spanish but some of that crosses over to their native language so who knows... they looked like Brazzo's, and were right behind us in line yelling at the top of their lungs... How long would any of you let someone stand directly behind you and yell over and over and over again in public before you told them to STFU and go look for whoever they needed to find!? So we gathered that this group / family was looking for someone else in their party, and the main ringleader dude was out next to the line walking back and forth yelling things, a complete sideshow for everyone who was already annoyed at the situation.... Well apparently they finally found the person they were looking for and tried to cut back in line... someone wasn't having it and we turn around to some heavy commotion and they break out beside the ling and start dancing..... punches being thrown as a couple of the Brazzo's ganged up one one dude who had obviously had enough of their behavior and shoved them out... The main ring leader was emotionally hysterical, spitting as he yelled "WE HAVR CHILDREN.... WE HAVE CHILDREN".... Just then a lady next to me yelled back "we all have children here, it doesn't mean you get to cut in line".
This is normal behavior in much of the Alps. There is no kindness in the liftlines there, only Darwinism. One learns quickly.