Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'd rather not put anything experimental into my body unless there is no other way. I survived covid with no vax. I was not high risk. Tylenol, vitamins, lots of water. Two weeks of feeling ill and perhaps 5 days of actually feeling sick. Now I have real antibodies. If you're high risk, by all means get vaxxed.
What's the difference between feeling ill and actually feeling sick?

Also, fourteen days ill and five days actually feeling sick sounds worse to me than two days with a sore spot on my arm. :shrug:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
on his IG there’s an update that says Drew is recovering slightly and the family is thrilled he may get to take a new experimental treatment called avaptidil. Irony.
Synthetic version of the body's own chemicals:

1641230265629.png

One of the reasons I never took board building further beyond a hobby was the solvents, dust and chemicals. Drew's art and the solvents, dust, spray paint and anything else he's breathed in for 40 years in his studio all could have contributed to him being more vulnerable without him even realizing it. Few in the surfboard world take respirators and lung protection as seriously as they should, myself included but for me its just a hobby though. Probably even fewer in the art world think of the things they are breathing in.
You bring up an excellent point, especially with the 'art world' angle.

Also reminds me of the 'construction world' angle.....thinking of people sawing/sanding treated wood without protection.

Not sure of my favorite part of the vaccine. Still catching and spreading the virus or the never ending "boosters."
Mine is the robust immune system response that feels like a bad hangover for 24 hrs....nothing is free after all I guess.:computer:

Last edited:

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
My favorite part about the vaccine and boosters is that they significantly reduce Covid related hospitalizations and deaths
Yeah, me too. I've been around quite a few people who've tested positive lately - as in, indoors with them while they were likely incubating the Rona. And just spent a full day flying with the fam from Calif to Charleston. Surely my family and I were exposed multiple times. All of us feel fine. Better still is the peace of mind that comes from knowing that I've done what I can to keep us out of the hospital - or worse.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Synthetic version of the body's own chemicals:

View attachment 121715

You bring up an excellent point, especially with the 'art world' angle.

Also reminds me of the 'construction world' angle.....thinking of people sawing/sanding treated wood without protection.

Mine is the robust immune system response that feels like a bad hangover for 24 hrs....nothing is free after all I guess.:computer:
I guess we won't know re solvents - tho seems possible. I do know he was one fit mofo before succumbing to Covid. I did an interview w/him for Surfer's Journal after he SUP'd down the damn Grand Canyon. His lungs were also strong enough for mammoth hold downs at Todos and Puerto Escondido. So there's that.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I guess we won't know re solvents - tho seems possible. I do know he was one fit mofo before succumbing to Covid. I did an interview w/him for Surfer's Journal after he SUP'd down the damn Grand Canyon. His lungs were also strong enough for mammoth hold downs at Todos and Puerto Escondido. So there's that.
Not like our "Alphas" here.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
What's the difference between feeling ill and actually feeling sick?

Also, fourteen days ill and five days actually feeling sick sounds worse to me than two days with a sore spot on my arm. :shrug:
exactly. 19 days off my game - and that's one of the better-case scenarios ? no thanks - i'll take the shot.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That is now completely proven false. You can't cling to that falsehood any more. The vaccinated are spreading this thing like wildfire RIGHT NOW!!!! Sick or not they are getting and spreading it. They may even be spreading it worse due to their false sense of security and the vaccine masking their early symptoms. Your logic on all that is blown to hell.
You've been sick for over two weeks, with symptoms

Reactions: Norm'

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Here’s another reason for vaccine… no vaccine no international traveling

I don't know about you, but regardless of what side of the issue I'm on, "if you don't, we won't let you____" is a sure way to get me to feel like "well fvck you then". Either have a persuasive argument based on reason (maybe something like if enough people get vaccinated, the risk of hospitals being overwhelmed goes away, and that was the entire problem from day 1. Or, there is a reasonable chance this could really fvck you up, get vaccinated and the chance goes to almost zero) or go away. "We said you should, we know what's best, if you don't listen you don't get any cake" is just...bad.

Maybe some of you understand the feeling, but it is so much worse to have someone on your team playing like shlt than someone on the other team. When someone on the other team can't pass, good, screw 'em. Laugh. When someone on my team is watching the puck instead of hips, I want to yell at them.

There are good arguments for MOST people getting the initial vaccine. There are good reasons for many people to keep getting boosters. Blanket statements about "everyone needs to because the tv said so and if you don't you can't go watch the Lakers" are frustrating. Like "I'm not with them, I don't know those people" frustrating.

And it becomes much less interesting to talk about, when no one is trying beyond "nu uh, you're stupid!" :LOL:

Reactions: santacruzin

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
exactly. 19 days off my game - and that's one of the better-case scenarios ? no thanks - i'll take the shot.
This is retarded. In what person's twisted world is 19 days off your game "one of the better case scenarios" with something that the vast majority of people don't even know they got. You're doing this to ignore "I didn't even know I had it" which is not only the best, but most common, by a lot, scenario.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I don't know about you, but regardless of what side of the issue I'm on, "if you don't, we won't let you____" is a sure way to get me to feel like "well fvvk you then". Either have a persuasive argument based on reason (maybe something like if enough people get vaccinated, the risk of hospitals being overwhelmed goes away, and that was the entire problem from day 1. Or, there is a reasonable chance this could really fvvk you up, get vaccinated and the chance goes to almost zero) or go away. "We said you should, we know what's best, if you don't listen you don't get any cake" is just...bad.

Maybe some of you understand the feeling, but it is so much worse to have someone on your team playing like shlt than someone on the other team. When someone on the other team can't pass, good, screw 'em. Laugh. When someone on my team is watching the puck instead of hips, I want to yell at them.

There are good arguments for MOST people getting the initial vaccine. There are good reasons for many people to keep getting boosters. Blanket statements about "everyone needs to because the tv said so and if you don't you can't go watch the Lakers" are frustrating. Like "I'm not with them, I don't know those people" frustrating.
I’m just stating a fact, what you think I made that rule hahaha
My doctor advised me to get vaccine , you guys do you. I’ll keep traveling and not living in fear.

So many of you have an inability to see anything outside your own lens. I understand people who don’t want a vaccine, even though I think they are misled.

unfortunately for those people they are not going to be allowed to travel.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I don’t think the vaccine is about preventing people from contracting covid, a better message would have been that it lowers risk of complications and hospitalization.

Media blew it
This is still a tough angle to come at it from. Hearing "you know that thing that has a less than 1% chance of sending you to the hospital? Will if you get this vaccine, the chances will be even less than 1%...but still not zero"
It makes sense over 100s of 1000s of people, but as an individual it isn't like "oh man, better run to the doc!"

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Dr. John Campbell on YouTube was explaining last week that immunity or your immune system is what would completely stop the virus. Immunity is strongest after you overcome a natural infection or get a vaccination or booster but it does wane over time. But once you are exposed, along with immunity and the immune reaction are T cells inside your body which learn to kill Covid. Sort of like those A-10 Warthog planes that go out over the desert and kill tanks. The T cells memory and ability to fight infection is much longer lived than the immune system's ability to completely reject the virus. These T cells are what keep you from getting very sick if you get a breakthrough infection which gets past your immune system. In this video Campbell explains how T cells actually drop toxic chemicals on viruses (which is pretty cool). Also he explains the first inoculation - there was Cow Pox which wasn't deadly and Small Pox which was. By putting a small cut in your arm and putting some live Cow Pox pus in there your body could learn to kill the Cow Pox which was close enough to Small Pox that your body would have some ability to fight Small Pox and you probably wouldn't die from it if you caught it.

Reactions: afoaf

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I’m just stating a fact, what you think I made that rule hahaha
My doctor advised me to get vaccine , you guys do you. I’ll keep traveling and not living in fear.

So many of you have an inability to see anything outside your own lens. I understand people who don’t want a vaccine, even though I think they are misled.

unfortunately for those people they are not going to be allowed to travel.
I'm interested in the logic and reason game of it. What part of seeing things through your own lense is a bad thing? We are only ourselves.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
humans are so fkkkkkd

it's really disappointing to see how this pandemic has played out at all levels....leadership, media, community, individuals

it does not inspire confidence or hope