Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Whereas If you are in a low risk demographic, the cost/benefit/risk profile is far murkier. Especially kids.

Disclaimer: I am not an anti vaxxer and I agree that it is a good idea for most.
It's still a low cost to benefit ratio, even if you are young, healthy, surf in OC and love Jesus.

Maybe a hour investment over a year period?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It’s actually perfectly normal. When you know that you are dying, you will accept anything that potentially helps because you have literally nothing to lose. Whereas If you are in a low risk demographic, the cost/benefit/risk profile is far murkier. Especially kids.

Disclaimer: I am not an anti vaxxer and I agree that it is a good idea for most.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Big deal. I got covid. I got sick for two weeks.........most of which was very mild. I've never had a flu shot either.

I've been far sicker from the flu that I ever was from Covid.......by miles. Last bad bout of the flu was about 2011 or 2012. Whole house got it except for our 5 year old. 7 days very sick with fever up near 104 one day. Projectile vomiting for 3 days for all of us. Passed out in the bathroom waiting to throw up again. My wife and I couldn't even function for a couple of days......not cool with three kids.

Compared to whatever that was Covid was nothing. The world did not lock down that year for the flu.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Big deal. I got covid. I got sick for two weeks.........most of which was very mild. I've never had a flu shot either.

I've been far sicker from the flu that I ever was from Covid.......by miles. Last bad bout of the flu was about 2011 or 2012. Whole house got it except for our 5 year old. 7 days very sick with fever up near 104 one day. Projectile vomiting for 3 days for all of us. Passed out in the bathroom waiting to throw up again. My wife and I couldn't even function for a couple of days......not cool with three kids.

Compared to whatever that was Covid was nothing. The world did not lock down that year for the flu.
execpt your posts anout getting winded walked 500 yards after you recovere? Has that gone now? friend has been dealing with same issues , I have never got that from the flu so I am curious.

even though you guys are having a shitty winter hope you feel 100% and get a good swell soon, you are always a good a sport about sh!t here

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
execpt your posts anout getting winded walked 500 yards after you recovere? Has that gone now? friend has been dealing with same issues , I have never got that from the flu so I am curious.

even though you guys are having a shitty winter hope you feel 100% and get a good swell soon, you are always a good a sport about sh!t here
That was a week or more ago while still carrying a fever near 100 as soon as the Tylenol would wear off. It was strange. Feel fine, no energy. That was around day 8-12 I'm thinking. That has improved steadily ever since. Biked all over town today, long dog walk. Did yard work. Beautiful day here today.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I'd rather not put anything experimental into my body unless there is no other way. I survived covid with no vax. I was not high risk. Tylenol, vitamins, lots of water. Two weeks of feeling ill and perhaps 5 days of actually feeling sick. Now I have real antibodies. If you're high risk, by all means get vaxxed.
except you had this reaction, how do you know that you wouldn't have had a different reaction and died? how do you know you wouldn't be like drew and on a ventilator and in a coma for months? Statistically he wasn't likely to be hospitalised but he was...statistics don't matter until you are statistic.

Now im not saying that most people will die from covid but there is really know way to know how your body will react from it.

my senior citizen vaccinated relatives got covid and noticed nothing really and @20W-50 and blood was vaxxed and got knocked out. Better safe than sorry IMO but you do you and know whats best for your body.

Reactions: afoaf and Mr Doof

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
except you had this reaction, how do you know that you wouldn't have had a different reaction and died? how do you know you wouldn't be like drew and on a ventilator and in a coma for months? Statistically he wasn't likely to be hospitalised but he was...statistics don't matter until you are statistic.

Now im not saying that most people will die from covid but there is really know way to know how your body will react from it.

my senior citizen vaccinated relatives got covid and noticed nothing really and @20W-50 and blood was vaxxed and got knocked out. Better safe than sorry IMO but you do you and know whats best for your body.
I'm not anti-vaccine. I'm indifferent to it. I chose not to bother due to my views on my own risk factors and based on the reactions a number of friends and co-workers had to the vaccine. We've also seen that the vaccine is not stopping transmission and never lived up to the hype. I got covid from a vaxxed co-worker sitting nearby. We know the virus has weakened with each new variant as well. Still a few get sick and a few die.

None of us knows tomorrow. I've always lived by that.

Every time I surf I accept that I could die. I've witnessed serious injuries and death in the water. I go anyway and have put myself in some bad spots over the past 40 years doing it. I still go.

Every time I get behind the wheel I know I could die. On Christmas day a 28 year old former local star football player hit a deer on the Atlantic City Expressway near here and died. Had a friend retire young not to long ago and in September a driver crossed the center line and killed him on a wide open flat strait road. Absolute tragedy. I still drive 20-30K miles a year.

I used to routinely fish 70-100 miles from shore in boats ranging from 26-50 feet. I knew people who didn't come back from out there. I took precautions as I saw fit and went anyway. Made a job of it for 10 years taking people there and back before burning out.

I could have a heart attack tomorrow.

We had a toddler pass away of cancer. Seen other friends and family members die of cancer.

The point is none of has a guarantee regardless of Covid or anything else.

I've studied and read voraciously about Covid since the very beginning. I followed my state's statistics rather than the news. I drew my own conclusions. Not based on politicians or media hype despite what some here will say about me. My conclusion was that as a very fit 50-52 year old as this 2 weeks to flatten the curve thing turned into 2 years......that my personal risk of being hospitalized or dying of this disease was about that of being struck by lightning. I don't cease living because lightning exists. I take the precautions I see fit for me and move on. I'm also not going to tell you what to do or demand you comply with my beliefs about lightning.

Drew is my age and I have followed and admired his talent since the very beginning. I wish him nothing but the best. He is recovering. He's not dead. I don't know what his lung health or general health was like before this. None of us here do as far as I know. He may have gotten unlucky and been that one person who gets sick or there could have been underlying issues? He's recovering and I am thrilled for him and his family.

One of the reasons I never took board building further beyond a hobby was the solvents, dust and chemicals. Drew's art and the solvents, dust, spray paint and anything else he's breathed in for 40 years in his studio all could have contributed to him being more vulnerable without him even realizing it. Few in the surfboard world take respirators and lung protection as seriously as they should, myself included but for me its just a hobby though. Probably even fewer in the art world think of the things they are breathing in.

The comments here by many have been despicable quite frankly. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Drew's choices and my choices are ours alone. I don't begrudge him or anyone else their choices or demand that they comply with what I believe is best for me.

PS. Please do not come back with the old "You're gonna kill someone's grandma". That notion has been completely blown to smithereens. If grandma hasn't gotten vaxxed, that's on her. She's protected right?

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Your party affiliation ....

"Of Americans surveyed from Sept. 13-22, 72% of adults 18 and older had been vaccinated, including 71% of white Americans, 70% of Black Americans, and 73% of Hispanics. Contrast these converging figures with disparities based on politics: 90% of Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 68% of Independents and just 58% of Republicans.
A Gallup survey released on Sept. 29 confirmed the KFF findings. As of mid-September, 75% of adult Americans have been vaccinated, including 73% of non-Hispanic white adults and 78% of non-whites. Along party lines, however, the breakdown was 92% of Democrats, 68% of Independents, and 56% of Republicans.
There is no reason to believe that these gaps in vaccination rates will disappear anytime soon. According to Gallup, 40% of Republicans “don’t plan” to get vaccinated, versus 26% of Independents and just 3% of Democrats. In response to a more sharply worded KFF question, 23% of Republicans report that they will “definitely not” get vaccinated, compared to 11% of Independents and just 4% of Democrats."
For COVID-19 vaccinations, party affiliation matters more than race and ethnicity

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

It’s working! It’s really happening! Omicron for president in 2024! Omicron “The Great Consensus Builder“ He shall be called, and humanity and friendship will ring out across the world, just like at the end of Armageddon. Love that scene. That’s like us and Omi rn. dogs and cats, magas and libtards wishing each other health and recovery. It’s a goddamn New Years miracle

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Your party affiliation ....

"Of Americans surveyed from Sept. 13-22, 72% of adults 18 and older had been vaccinated, including 71% of white Americans, 70% of Black Americans, and 73% of Hispanics. Contrast these converging figures with disparities based on politics: 90% of Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 68% of Independents and just 58% of Republicans.
A Gallup survey released on Sept. 29 confirmed the KFF findings. As of mid-September, 75% of adult Americans have been vaccinated, including 73% of non-Hispanic white adults and 78% of non-whites. Along party lines, however, the breakdown was 92% of Democrats, 68% of Independents, and 56% of Republicans.
There is no reason to believe that these gaps in vaccination rates will disappear anytime soon. According to Gallup, 40% of Republicans “don’t plan” to get vaccinated, versus 26% of Independents and just 3% of Democrats. In response to a more sharply worded KFF question, 23% of Republicans report that they will “definitely not” get vaccinated, compared to 11% of Independents and just 4% of Democrats."
For COVID-19 vaccinations, party affiliation matters more than race and ethnicity
Easy bro, we’ve got something miraculous brewing, don’t bring up party lines

Reactions: santacruzin

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
If anyone is interested in the statistics I've been following and posting in the politics forum since the beginning of this. These are directly from the New Jersey Health Department Covid Dashboard.

Capture.jpg

My state by county. My county is 3rd from the bottom.

Capture2.JPG

Demographics:

Capture3.JPG

Comorbidities

Capture4.JPG

Put it all together and let me know what my real risk was (especially in 2021) as a 50-52 year old healthy surfer who hit the gym and tightened up his diet the instant covid hit.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Here is a hot tip. Ask your doctor. I asked both of mine and they were emphatic about my need to get poked. I trust them, they saved my life a few years back. If you know more than your doctor because you have "been a voracious reader since this started" then hahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Not sure of my favorite part of the vaccine. Still catching and spreading the virus or the never ending "boosters."

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Actually no, everyone knows the contents of the vaccine and its effects.

The only people who don't are the ones too lazy or too stupid to learn about it.

Or those motivated to think otherwise.

You don't get to be given the choice when your choice can harm people around you.
ok, but a one shoe fits all contents of a vaccine may not fit a round peg in a square hole for every single person. Some, not all, maybe a few, but one is too many deaths or injury may occur with getting the jab. Now we are learning is not as community friendly as told and as promised. Just a personal health choice to cut personal risk but it’s should not forced upon everyone.

with a +99% survival rate, I’d like my vaccines to have at least 5-10 year peer reviewed study like most true non leaking vaccines before making it mandatory or shaming others. Otherwise this “vaccine” is just like the seasonal flu shot, a good guess at best with positive results but don’t blame us it it doesn’t work and after 3-6 boosters we‘ll eventually maybe possibly get it right but just trust us until the next variant

Are we now also finding out that this personal choice of getting the jab is also still transmitting and still harming people??

Reactions: GromsDad

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Here is a hot tip. Ask your doctor. I asked both of mine and they were emphatic about my need to get poked. I trust them, they saved my life a few years back. If you know more than your doctor because you have "been a voracious reader since this started" then hahahahahhahahahahahhahaha
this, right here. every doc i know, including my own and my wife, recommend the vax. it's a a no-brainer.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
ok, but a one shoe fits all contents of a vaccine may not fit a round peg in a square hole for every single person. Some, not all, maybe a few, but one is too many deaths or injury may occur with getting the jab. Now we are learning is not as community friendly as told and as promised. Just a personal health choice to cut personal risk but it’s should not forced upon everyone.

with a +99% survival rate, I’d like my vaccines to have at least 5-10 year peer reviewed study like most true non leaking vaccines before making it mandatory or shaming others. Otherwise this “vaccine” is just like the seasonal flu shot, a good guess at best with positive results but don’t blame us it it doesn’t work and after 3-6 boosters we‘ll eventually maybe possibly get it right but just trust us until the next variant

Are we now also finding out that this personal choice of getting the jab is also still transmitting and still harming people??
You math doesn't add up.Your facts don't either.

Hint: %

Also, in a pandemic, your "personal choice" affects everyone.

Stopping at the red light is not a personal choice for a reason.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Also, in a pandemic, your "personal choice" affects everyone.
That is now completely proven false. You can't cling to that falsehood any more. The vaccinated are spreading this thing like wildfire RIGHT NOW!!!! Sick or not they are getting and spreading it. They may even be spreading it worse due to their false sense of security and the vaccine masking their early symptoms. Your logic on all that is blown to hell.