The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Really?? I actually get marks on my right arm from the hyperfreak and psycho I own. Maybe I suck at putting on wetsuits. I find the mutant super easy but it's a bit of a fight getting the attached zipper style Oneill's over my right shoulder (same side as the zipper connection.)

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Really?? I actually get marks on my right arm from the hyperfreak and psycho I own. Maybe I suck at putting on wetsuits. I find the mutant super easy but it's a bit of a fight getting the attached zipper style Oneill's over my right shoulder (same side as the zipper connection.)
I'm used to back-zip wetsuits and this Hyperfreak is the first chest-zip I've ever owned. It's actually pretty easy to get on but have to be conscious of not being able to peel it off straight down - kind of need to shimmy one shoulder/arm out first and then the other. Not too bad but an extra step.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Thanks. Yeah, I do a lot of turbulent duckdives. 100 sessions isn't horrible. I guess a little over a year for me depending on time/wind (changed work schedule too so I get every other Friday off yew). Try to take pretty good care of my suits. Wash them out within an hour and hang folded so they dry but not too fast. Learned fast that a quick dry in a too-warm room can turn an LT into a B14.

You're probably not wrong about the planned obsolescence. Noticed my Quik Syncro 4/3 is leaking hard. Pretty chilly when it gets under 52.
I think 100 sessions is sort of fair and I haven't had to many suits that the seems held up much longer for price point. I have a Hyperfreak with over 100 sessions on it. Think I paid a little under 3 bills on sale back when wetties went on sale. Yeah it leaks under arm pit, maybe started around 70, but I only feel it on entry. After that it still plenty warm. Might be a deal breaker in New England but water is usually 53 here. I'll get another year out of it as a backup which will total 3 years. Never had much of an issue with flushing. Sometimes its just about the fit. If its a little small or stretched it may not perform as well IME. Psycotech may have held up a little better and longer, but haven't had one in a couple years. Got a freshie I haven't popped tags on so we will see ow it holds up.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I got a back zip for the first time in 15 years and it's honestly a pain to put on compared to chest zips - it always catches on material in the back and I'm forced to ask for help ... like the sensual writer.

When I was younger, all we had were back zips, but they didn't have the inner flap that is prevalent in most suits these days.

I ordered another custom from a company in Orange County, a chest zip, but they don't use zippers - it's going to a velcro solution. Stay tuned...

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Any Japanese companies with a less elaborate neck system? My old airtights were great. I like the cybers but the neck is pretty bulky compared to other suits. Pretty noticeable with my 4/3 and old 5/4/3. Probably not an issue with thinner suits.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Any Japanese companies with a less elaborate neck system? My old airtights were great. I like the cybers but the neck is pretty bulky compared to other suits. Pretty noticeable with my 4/3 and old 5/4/3. Probably not an issue with thinner suits.
What entry do you have?

My Cybers are like but the standard Cyber entry is just a normal 1 step pull it over your head chest zip like all the other chest zips I've had.

I have them add an inner gasket to all mine - pull it over your head and snap it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I know this has probably been gone over somewhere on this thread but I'm too lazy to read all 169 pages..

Best wetsuit repair glue?

I just got a new suit (thanks Makoman) but I always keep my old suits as a mid season suit. This one needs some repair- one seam on the ribcage is completly open (about 2"), other seams are pulling loose. Can you patch with some nylon and glue? And the tape they use, why isn't that available? And the ubber they piut over the seams? Can you buy that? Maybe there' ssome kind of conspiracy to keep those products off the market so wetsuits have a planed obsolence of a year or two max....

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
geeze $750
for that price I could just buy 2 mid-tier suits and be just fine
yeah, or get a OTR stock size JJF suit from FlorenceMarineX! LOL But isn't that similar to what others pay for their custom Japanese suits from cyber, etc? I'm not in the market- love my isurus- just curious if anyone had tried a custom from that brand.

Last edited:

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Let us know what you think of it. :cheers:
One surf in the Volte premium 5/4. Construction seems solid. Obviously can’t gauge how long it will last, but it felt just as easy to paddle in as my hyperfreak. No too hard to get in and out of. Also, air temps were around 37 and I was fairly warm the whole time (about 2.5 hours).

A bit of flushing when i ate sh*t but that’s to be expected.

Really fun session too. Being warm and not fearing duck-dives helped.