ford trucks still the best like a rock!

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
When buying used-

newer year model + high mileage or older year model + low mileage?
Older and lower for me.

a newer truck with high mileage was probably used fairly heavily. Some old trucks, like the 7.3l power stroke super duty, were more reliable from what I can tell than anything out now.

one of my biggest regrets was sleeping on a garage kept 2001 f350 single cab with the 7.3 power stroke.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
My wife and I are looking into trading in our 2016 Jeep Wrangler for a 4Runner right now. Probably not the best time, even though Wrangler trad-in/sale price is through the roof.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Older and lower for me.

a newer truck with high mileage was probably used fairly heavily. Some old trucks, like the 7.3l power stroke super duty, were more reliable from what I can tell than anything out now.

one of my biggest regrets was sleeping on a garage kept 2001 f350 single cab with the 7.3 power stroke.
Someone told me newer + high mileage most likely means highway miles, less stress on the drivetrain. I guess there's no way to really know unless you're buying private party, but even then....

2016 and later (aluminum body) the 2.7 turbo gets 20/26 mpg. That's pretty good for a full size pick up.

Reactions: manbearpig

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When buying used-

newer year model + high mileage or older year model + low mileage?

1 Most of the time, age and gender of driver trumps either scenario.

2 Ford = Fix or repair daily

3 Fiat = Fix it again Tony

4 BMW = Bring More Wallet

5 AMC = American Made Crap

6 GM = ?

7 Tesla = ?

8 VW = Von't Werk (say with pretend German accent)

9 Toyota = ?

10 Honda = Rice paddy (think this is literal translation, not sure why it is a slag)

11 What else?

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I thought BMW stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers. Or Big Mature Women.

Oh and to your point- we bought a used Volvo station many years ago. The radio knob was a soft plastic and had these little nicks in it. After a while I deduced they were from a woman with long fingernails. You think a woman with long fingernails gives a flying fuk about car maintenance???? Worst POS we've ever owned.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Fun fact 1: BMW made aviation engines for der Luftwaffe (German Air Force) during WW2.

A 1929 BMW ad depicts the BMW logo, complete with the four colored quadrants, in a spinning airplane propeller. The interpretation that the BMW logo represents a propeller has endured ever since.

Fun fact 2: Every BMW driver I've ever crossed paths with are pompous ass pricks that think they own the road. Every. Single. One.

Reactions: keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m not I swear, unless I’m passing you at 120. And even then I pass safely and use my turn signals :roflmao: :waving:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It’s a 2007 328 hard top convertible. Got it for my wife 7 years ago. Low miles, still only has 76k on it. Didn’t pay very much for it consdering the decades of use we’ll get from it. That car will still be fun 20 years from now. As they say, BMWs are only getting warmed up at 100k.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
BMW = Big Money Waster
Sometimes I hear the propeller story, sometimes it's the Bavarian checker thing. Like the Croatian checker thing (note: Croatia is superior to Serbia).

First On Race Day
Fuckin' Owner's Really Dumb

BMW had this 'no replacement' mindset for a few years re:fluids and I think that ended in comically bad fashion. I don't think most of these technological tour de force cars, newer BMWs included, will be worth the cost of repair in a decade.

I see way, way, way more people hauling ass in krautmobiles in California - from the comfort of my rented krautmobile.

I grew up in Vero Beach where basically everyone except a few 16 year olds are going 5-10 under. The average BMW in Northeast Florida is an X5 going 5 under in the left lane with a Ponte Vedra Inn and Club sticker, a Baby on Board magnet/placard, and some bimsky paying more attention to their phone call than the road.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
. As they say, BMWs are only getting warmed up at 100k.
who is “they“? And how do they identify as car owners?

I‘ve had a 328xI wagon for the past nine years as my DD. It’s been a solid
ride so far with normal maintenance done in a timely fashion and I don’t
drive it like an asshole. So far, so good and it’s still a fun car to drive.

Reactions: Subway

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Is the VW hate a more recent thing?

They seemed to be pretty reliable vehicles until they turned to total crap mid-late 90s.

If I remember correctly this is around the time they moved a lot of production to the USA and Mexico?

I had one I took to 278K and another that did just over 300K. And I didn't take the best care of either.

Others I know had similar luck with the pre-mid 90s stuff as well.

I can remember early 90s CA being one of the few places in USA where you would actually see VW. They were an anomaly everywhere else.