North Shore short term rental debacle boils over - winter pro circus threatened - Backpackers DONE?

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
your confidence in me is much appreciated, good sir.

Hell there were probably 40+ guys in the water on the day at Cloud break shown in my avatar. Sure its more spread out than Honolua, but again, heavy scary wave, only my second session ever surfing there, and I snagged some proper set waves. Didn't get truly barreled those first 2 sessions, but, I was pleased
dude, it sounds just like bigger heavier warmer and better lido beach. the entire east coast shows up here when there's a big ass solid storm off shore and north winds blowing. plenty of talent in the water, and plenty of burning. I'm talking HUNDREDS of people battling across a mile of beach, some buoys, sure, but plenty of aggressive skilled surfers too... but really there are only 2-3 main peaks that get all the crowd, cause those peaks are for whatever reason 3-5 feet bigger than every where else, and hollow and grindy as a muhfkuer. I'm not ACTUALLY comparing them, all I'm saying is, I know how to get waves in a scary ass crowd at a heavy spot. I mean bro, I get set waves at Hanalei. on a 6'9. :dancing: Bring on Honolua and the 18th at Kapalua, pit bulls optional but preferred. Sounds like a fukking blast, and I'll deal with the crowds.
You notice all the people saying I know the spot but wont blow it up...maybe take a cue from those guys.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
All it takes is one good one that's bending around you. I'll forever remember my one. Magical place, but I'll never go back.

Bring a thick/flat shortboard. You don't need a lot of rocker, you need paddle speed. Everybody is hover paddling as hard as they possibly can. It's crazy. I've never seen people levitate while paddling.

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
your confidence in me is much appreciated, good sir.

Hell there were probably 40+ guys in the water on the day at Cloud break shown in my avatar. Sure its more spread out than Honolua, but again, heavy scary wave, only my second session ever surfing there, and I snagged some proper set waves. Didn't get truly barreled those first 2 sessions, but, I was pleased
:cheers: id still be sitting on the boat at a doh cloudbreak.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
All it takes is one good one that's bending around you. I'll forever remember my one. Magical place, but I'll never go back.

Bring a thick/flat shortboard. You don't need a lot of rocker, you need paddle speed. Everybody is hover paddling as hard as they possibly can. It's crazy. I've never seen people levitate while paddling.
6 1 step up style hypto. Seems to have a pretty flat entry rocker and goes really fast and holds a rail really well in steep pockets. Caveat being I am NOT a design forum guy, there may be hundreds of boards out there better suited for me to surf H,,,,,,a Bay (there is that better?)

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
It's a world class wave. First day was 10 foot on the sets (they ran Jaws that day) then it got smaller every day but still so fun. I'll never forget the first 10 foot set I saw when I got out. Mesmerizing how perfect it broke. And Tanner getting barreled on a regular shortboard. The way it's set up though, it's so easy to get out. Kooks can get out without even duckdiving. So you can imagine what the crowd is like.
I just got back from there. Best wave I've ever surfed. Tanner was still ripping it. I showed up, third day surfing it, and wind was a bit sideways. A bunch of people paddled in. A local I got friendly with who was smoking some pakalolo on the cliff looked at the sun and then over to me and said "wind's about to straighten out". He was right. Thanksgiving day was best I got it.

When it's small there the reefs next to X (that Marzo spot) get fun.

• Love
Reactions: Subway and racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
One evening the crowd magically cleared out and it was just two of my friends and two bodyboarders. We got in rotation and hooted each other through barrel after barrel and turn after turn until it was pitch black. Saw one of my friends get a crazy triple barrel going max speed. Only about 30-35 minutes of that emptiness but head high to a few feet overhead. That was memorable too.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
There's this under the radar spot on the east side that I like to surf. Usually not crowded and pretty fun. Recently found youtube videos of Flynn Novak and a couple others. There is now always a camera setup and filming going on. It is all over instagram and filled with wannabe pros who have zero respect for the people who surf it regularly. They paddle out and hassle everyone. Oh well.
Is it worth regulating? i think pro surfing ruins, fook them guys

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Yeah I need to make a north shore pilgrimage one of these days while I’m still confident and capable in crowded powerful tropical reef surf . Late winter has always been my thought as well. The contests are over, the locals have been surfing their brains out since October, and hey, my very first time on a surf board was Waikiki 33 years ago. Haven’t been to Oahu since. maybe late February 2023?
We went to Oahu Feb 20th to March 7th 2020. Really wonderful weather in Hawaii at that time - we had always gone in July or August when the kids were out of school and it could be quite hot - the local people every time said it had never been that hot before but after the 4th trip hearing that we decided to try a different season. As we were flying out of NY in February I realized that at that time of year we can get a good storm in NY, lose power and if I'm not home to set up the generator, freeze our pipes. So we're going end of March instead in 2022 - staying at the Moana Surfrider again - love that place! Could still get a storm in NY but daytime temps are higher - unlikely that anything would freeze.